Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ben White - Sings new FOUR year deal.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
They'll be banking on not disturbing a well-knit unit, with Bielsa being the x factor. Will be interesting to see how his small squad approach works in the Prem. Leeds fans will assume that fewer games, means it will be less exhausting.

If that £45m is true, then it feels about right, if you don't want to start going into debt / getting investment from the owners. A typical Prem year is £100m minimum. But we believe the new teams will be looking at about £30m less, so that's £70m. They'll probably have improved a few player's contracts now they are in the prem. So wages plus transfers and they are about there.

£45m budget
£15m Costa
£5m Meslia

~£20m remaining?

If those are all correct, then they haven't really got much room to work with on the White deal. And let's not forget they are in a legal battle about whether they actually have to honour the £20m Augustin deal with RB Leipzig.

For all my defence of Leeds Utd as a club - ie not the fans - earlier in the thread, their actions relating to trying to get out of that deal on the technicality of the season ending 2 months late are discreditable and will win them no friends. Can you imagine if they had a buy clause in the Ben White loan deal that we tried to wriggle out of on a similar Covid-19 related technicality?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Ben White

I think so too but a significant fee for an outgoing player would allow us to realign our budget.

The elusive 20 goal a season striker at this level is ground we've never broken before. We've also never sold a prospect with this sort of value and doing so would allow us to push the envelope in an area of the pitch where we need it more.

We need to be looking far beyond the 20m even 40m bracket for a goal scorer with as much future potential as the likes of Ben. That's where we need to invest, and reinvesting a fee for one of our many CBs could allow us to do this.

Why are you so desperate to sell Ben White though?

We have plenty of other players we can sell if you’re so concerned about outgoings.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
There is no reason to believe it is one or the other. I think you are persuading yourself that is the case as are the leeds fans. I have no doubt we will have already identified attacking targets and will be keeping Ben White.

This. We have a plethora of players that need to be shipped out (let’s not go into that here as it leads to contentious arguments!)

To name one, AJ. Who I would like to stay btw, but clearly isn’t in GP’s plans.

For the folk so keen to raise money (as if the club haven’t already considered these matters), we have plenty of players ahead of Ben White who can be sold.

Just staggered how some folk still have a League One mindset and happily willing to accept a cut price bid for one of the hottest English properties around.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Why are you so desperate to sell Ben White though?

We have plenty of other players we can sell if you’re so concerned about outgoings.

One thing we're not is desperate, but we should cash in if the price and destination is right.

We might be desperate if we haven't signed another striker and Neal gets injured early doors.

Maybe Ben will have to play CF.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Ben White

One thing we're not is desperate, but we should cash in if the price and destination is right.

We might be desperate if we haven't signed another striker and Neal gets injured early doors.

Maybe Ben will have to play CF.

You’re making the leap that we can only sign a striker if we sell Ben White.

There’ll be plenty of outgoings in the near future, I wouldn’t worry about that.

(I do agree with you though that we do need a striker)

Last edited:

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I think the majority of Leeds fans know it isn't going to happen and are having a light-hearted giggle at the whole thing. Some of their antics are quite amusing and I take no offence at their posturing about being better than Brighton - the intelligent ones (there are some) know they aren't and are laughing at their fellow, knuckle dragging fans who genuinely believe all their nonsense. Engaging on this Freudian "who is the bigger club" thing is just feeding trolls, all that matters is who has the better team and we will all know this by April/May/June/July/August 2021/2022/2023*.

* delete as covid 19 allows (maybe I should have just said "by the end of the season"?)

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
The elusive 20 goal a season striker at this level is ground we've never broken before. We've also never sold a prospect with this sort of value and doing so would allow us to push the envelope in an area of the pitch where we need it more.

How many teams in the premier league outside of the ‘top 6’ actually have a player that scores over 20 goals a season?

The answer is 2, Leicester (who finished in the top 6) and Southampton...

Only 4 players scored over 20 goals and 2 of them were the above, and the other two play for Arsenal and Manchester City.

Brighton will not sign a goalscorer who will score 20 premier league goals in a season - what we do need is more goals scored from our midfielders - as well as not having to rely on Maupay for everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
For all my defence of Leeds Utd as a club - ie not the fans - earlier in the thread, their actions relating to trying to get out of that deal on the technicality of the season ending 2 months late are discreditable and will win them no friends. Can you imagine if they had a buy clause in the Ben White loan deal that we tried to wriggle out of on a similar Covid-19 related technicality?

I know what you mean, but I think they sort of have to try it, it's £20m and would make an enormous difference to them. I certainly don't blame them.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I know what you mean, but I think they sort of have to try it, it's £20m and would make an enormous difference to them. I certainly don't blame them.

In football, as in life, if you want to be respected, pay your debts and honour the agreements you've made.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
How many teams in the premier league outside of the ‘top 6’ actually have a player that scores over 20 goals a season?

The answer is 2, Leicester (who finished in the top 6) and Southampton...

Only 4 players scored over 20 goals and 2 of them were the above, and the other two play for Arsenal and Manchester City.

Brighton will not sign a goalscorer who will score 20 premier league goals in a season - what we do need is more goals scored from our midfielders - as well as not having to rely on Maupay for everything.

Correct - we need a collective additional 20 goals a season to be top half. Next season I'd take an additional 5 each from Maupay and Connolly, and 10 from elsewhere.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
In football, as in life, if you want to be respected, pay your debts and honour the agreements you've made.

I agree 100%. However, I suspect being respected makes little difference to your chances of success.

You would anticipate that sort of behaviour making other clubs very cautious about any conditions they put in future agreements. But who knows, lots of short memories nowadays

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Why are some of you so keen to sell Ben White? I don’t get it.

And for £30m? That would be an appalling decision.

It’s the Withdean mentality, sadly some of our fans are stuck in that mindset.

10-15 years ago we had to sell our best assets to keep the club afloat. Some people have just never progressed on from that stage in our history. Even if we have to buy to sell we’re now in a position where we don’t have to sell our most exciting youngster because nobody else is worth anything.

Sell Montoya, Duffy & March for £30,000,000 or sell Ben White for £30,000,000. The people who can’t fathom that the first option is a realistic path and much better for the club will clock on one day... hopefully.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It’s the Withdean mentality, sadly some of our fans are stuck in that mindset.

10-15 years ago we had to sell our best assets to keep the club afloat. Some people have just never progressed on from that stage in our history. Even if we have to buy to sell we’re now in a position where we don’t have to sell our most exciting youngster because nobody else is worth anything.

Sell Montoya, Duffy & March for £30,000,000 or sell Ben White for £30,000,000. The people who can’t fathom that the first option is a realistic path and much better for the club will clock on one day... hopefully.

I will run on the pitch and cut my season ticket in half, the first day we are back, if we sell White to those ****s from Leeds. How embarrassing would selling him to Leeds be now, after all that has gone on with those deluded twats?

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Well, that's just silly. If we keep hold of him, we're not trafficking him, we're taking him hostage. It would be trafficking if we sold him, surely?

(accepting of course someone willingly honouring their contract is not 'taking him hostage', and transfer dealings are an accepted practice of consensual trading of registration and not human trafficking)

Just waiting for the claims that Barber should revisit the clubs modern day slavery act stance

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Eagerly anticipating the squad training photos appearing next week on Twitter and the club going complete shithouse:

1. Picture of Ben White exercising or running on his own, with a number 3 on his training top, with the caption “Three - Ben White”

2. Picture of Ben and Aaron Connolly doing a thumbs up pose or similar, with the caption “Best friends reunited”

Could we go one better with Ben and Aaron with associated wags outside his new home (TBC) wearing hard hats and high vis with the captain “laying foundations”

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here