Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ben Foster Predicts Brighton to be Relegated

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Last summer we circa £10m on transfer fees, this summer we have spent the same. Compared to what the vast majority of other PL clubs have spent I would suggest something isn’t right financially.

And if it is just a case that Tony wants some of his money back after all he’s invested I’d have no problem with that, but you can’t penny pinch and also claim to want to be a top 10 side simultaneously. Just be straight with us.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Last summer we circa £10m on transfer fees, this summer we have spent the same. Compared to what the vast majority of other PL clubs have spent I would suggest something isn’t right financially.

Maybe the owner didnt enslave enough people in third world countries to be able to compete with some others.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Predictions for me are like attending friendlies, a waste of time, I take no notice.
Although I do think that unless we sign someone we are probably going to struggle like last season but you cannot predict how Watford, Norwich, Brentford, Palace, Southampton and Newcastle are going to perform and we don't know that Maupay and Wellbeck (when fit) are going to be prolific.
Let's see what happens after 2 games and when the window closes.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Correct about last summer spending but don’t forget the transfer window closed late last year. The two Poles and Zeqri were about £19m in total. What we also won’t know will be the signing on fees for AL and DW last season who were free agents.

This season is closer to circa £20m already with Mwepu and the Ajax keeper signed already and hopefully the longed for striker will materialise soon.

Mmmm don’t think your figures are right. Zeqiri about 3.5mil tops - the other 2 about 9 tops in total…

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....n-polish-duo-jakub-moder-and-michal-karbownik

Mwepu apparently more like 12 than 20 and guessing the keeper wasn’t much - not £8mil etc…

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Why? Did he attend the pre-season trainings or something or why would he know more about Brighton than anyone else?

Because he's played against Potter, played with Welbeck and knows most of the players who other sides have brought in. Has the 4-4-2 teaboy?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
White gone, Lamptey probably on a treatment table for most of the season. That's all our pace and creativity in transition on our right gone for God knows how long. I'm more worried about it than the mythical striker.

Presumably, you therefore think that Potter is a genius for keeping us up in 2019-20 when he didn't have White and Lamptey only played in 8 matches? :shrug:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Presumably, you therefore think that Potter is a genius for keeping us up in 2019-20 when he didn't have White and Lamptey only played in 8 matches? :shrug:

We were in a lot of trouble before Covid struck and had just lost at home to Palace.

Potter did a fantastic job of gaming lockdown football, playing it like a tournament and selecting horses for courses (wins v Norwich and Burnley traded for getting absolutely battered at home by Liverpool and City when there were no fans to complain). Lamptey was a good part of that.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Didn't we have this sort of thing last summer? signed Lallana and Veltman early doors then that was it until Wellbeck signed after the start of the season? Suddenly it went from doom and gloom to excitement?

The squad needs more than just a striker this time though, 3 probably 4 players needed in most people’s books.

Last edited:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
We were in a lot of trouble before Covid struck and had just lost at home to Palace.

Potter did a fantastic job of gaming lockdown football, playing it like a tournament and selecting horses for courses (wins v Norwich and Burnley traded for getting absolutely battered at home by Liverpool and City when there were no fans to complain). Lamptey was a good part of that.

:lol:

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
From where we stand today, I’d agree with him.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Mmmm don’t think your figures are right. Zeqiri about 3.5mil tops - the other 2 about 9 tops in total…

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....n-polish-duo-jakub-moder-and-michal-karbownik

Mwepu apparently more like 12 than 20 and guessing the keeper wasn’t much - not £8mil etc…

Some reports had the Poles at a combined total of £14.5m. Likewise Mwepu, where reports of his fee differ. But hey, it’s all a bit irrelevant. What’s not up for discussion is we’ve certainly not done enough early business this season.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Some reports had the Poles at a combined total of £14.5m. Likewise Mwepu, where reports of his fee differ. But hey, it’s all a bit irrelevant. What’s not up for discussion is we’ve certainly not done enough early business this season.

Yes I agree - it’s very frustrating. I just thought if both poles and Zak were £19 odd mil that is pretty shot as only Moder looks like making it at present tbh… But time will tell.

I’m normally not frustrated easily with the way the club do things but the transfers in is starting by to annoy me now.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Brighton line up away to Norwich

Ryan
Lamptey Dunk Webster Burn
Bissouma Mooy Propper
Trossard
Maupay Connolly

Brighton home to Man City

Ryan
Montoya Webster Dunk Bernardo
Mooy Propper Bissouma Trossard
Gross
Connolly

while against Liverpool, Lamptey played and got an assist but we had Stephens Propper and MacAllister as our midfield.

:shrug:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

So, both seasons more than £10M then.

Even U23s like Jensen Weir cost us another £500K, and I suspect Khadra cost at least as much, if not more. We are, quite literally, spending millions on transfers for our U23 team, plus signing on fees for free transfers (that won't be peanuts either!), and that's on tip if the headline £10M PLUS for first team incoming tranfers.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Brighton line up away to Norwich

Ryan
Lamptey Dunk Webster Burn
Bissouma Mooy Propper
Trossard
Maupay Connolly

Brighton home to Man City

Ryan
Montoya Webster Dunk Bernardo
Mooy Propper Bissouma Trossard
Gross
Connolly

while against Liverpool, Lamptey played and got an assist but we had Stephens Propper and MacAllister as our midfield.

:shrug:

Lockdown 1 kept us up. Potter used it to its full, it halted our horrendous negative EPL momentum and allowed the squad a welcome psychological reset. We were one of the winners. [Funnily enough, 90% of nsc’ers wanted 2019/20 null and voided in May 2020, for high moral reasons for humanity …. of course :lolol:].

Sheffield United, for example, suffered the exact opposite and in fact never did recover.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here