Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ben duncan green councillor = tosspot

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How is it hard to explain to a 9 year old? Wars go on around the world, and our forces risk their lives to give us freedom. The reason it's hard for him to explain to his son, is that he doesn't think they're for us, he thinks they're just killers to satisfy crazed leaders.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Silly thing to say, really.

Even if you're a militant pacifist it would be a stupid thing to say at that time publicly.

Exactly this.

I think what he was trying to do was attempt to be humorous and ironic by deliberately taking an overly simplistic view. The problem is that this kind of dry humour is easily read literally.

Very foolhardy to attempt this while holding the post as a local councillor.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
How is it hard to explain to a 9 year old? Wars go on around the world, and our forces risk their lives to give us freedom. The reason it's hard for him to explain to his son, is that he doesn't think they're for us, he thinks they're just killers to satisfy crazed leaders.

It's hard to explain why war exists to any age. You can explain how. Why is a different matter.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It's hard to explain why war exists to any age. You can explain how. Why is a different matter.
It really isn't difficult at all.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Bush and his poodle Blair have a lot to answer for.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Ill thought out, inappropriate and deeply offensive. Given that he has previous, I think he should fall on his sword.

The worst thing about it, is he thinks he's being really clever. He's not.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What a weasel. How can a 160 character tweet be taken out of context? Utterly contemptible.

I agree with this.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Bush and his poodle Blair have a lot to answer for.
They sure do. But not related to this tweet. We need soldiers. The fact that some of our leaders abuse their power doesn't mean we don't still need soldiers, and that those soldiers don't get to choose when they fight.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Sadly Duncan is known for his look at me outpourings and he has just reinforced the negative stereotype of the green party that many people have (whether that is justified or not is irrelevant). He should in my opinion resign. Thankfully Caroline lucas distanced herself immediately.

Personally I do not like the idea of having an "Armed Forces" day, as I think it it is there to be used by politicians to justify their pointless wars and to marginalise anti-war sentiment. In my view we already have an armed forces day and it is Rememberence Sunday which quite rightly holds a central place in our national consciousness. In my view this artificially constructed day serves only the politicians interests. We are moving ever closer to the American culture of uncritically deifying the armed forces at every opportunity. However I believe it is possible to express this sentiment without being deliberately provocative and disrespectful.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I think he is entitled to say what he believes in and we as the electorate need to know what their views are.

Guarded comment by our politicians is a curse.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
They sure do. But not related to this tweet. We need soldiers. The fact that some of our leaders abuse their power doesn't mean we don't still need soldiers, and that those soldiers don't get to choose when they fight.

It is if he thinks the soldiers are mercenaries sent to fight an illegal war against a maniacal dictator with a stockpile of chemical weapons.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It is if he thinks the soldiers are mercenaries sent to fight an illegal war against a maniacal dictator with a stockpile of chemical weapons.
Those thoughts are ****ed up, and Duncan's problem, not the problem of ex leaders.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Exactly this.

I think what he was trying to do was attempt to be humorous and ironic by deliberately taking an overly simplistic view. The problem is that this kind of dry humour is easily read literally.

Very foolhardy to attempt this while holding the post as a local councillor.

You give him far too much credit. He's just an arrogant prick who thinks he can appeal to pacifists (the Greens target voters) by making a lame joke about soldiers. He surely can't be that thick, the only conclusion is that he thinks he's above everyone else.

Even the man in the street would get stick for making comments like that (as proved on here when "goldstone" admitted making a comment at withdean and got put in his place).

Plake

Unregistered User
Nov 7, 2009
Brighton seafront
Well, I know a number of Green councillors and they work hard for their wards-as do many from other parties. Unless you know them all personally, I fail to understand your statement.

Not a tricky statement to understand. The Green councillors I've met shouldn't be allowed near any sort of government. They don't have the cognitive capacity to manage the job in a competent manner and tend to spend a lot of time arguing about unimportant issues.

Tbf this isn't limited to the Greens. The very worst I've dealt with was a Tory lady.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Twitter is a troll hole for tards.

One of its facets is that impulsive comments can let the mask slip. Of course the other greens aree making condemning noises. The thing is if it was a tory making a racist comment he would be sacked, on the left this doesn't happen with extremist comments. Although how extreme this is is debatable, still its always best to judge people in what they do rather than what they say. Especially when dealing with professional liars like politicians.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here