Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Being JFC

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I always find the JFC debate a strange one to be honest, the defenders of the lad don't really have anything to back up their support unless I missed something yet feel righteous in knocking any negativity.
Had JFC strolled into the side on a 6 month loan from Villa, I wouldn't be defending him.

But he didn't he's a product of the clubs set up and the sign of things to come.
He needs to maximize his potential with the Albion, so that the whole club can 'win' in the long term.
Getting on the back of a 21 year old, moaning and groaning at every mistake isn't the way forward.

Southampton turn in a £33m profit.
Albion fans say 'I want some of that', with one breath.
Then boo one of the first cash cows the moment he misreads a pass.

It's the 'boo-boy' mentality that the Albion has ALWAYS had, I argue against.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've NEVER heard any abuse of JFC at a match, only on here.

When I've listened to the commentary from an away game, the texts read out from fans have been as scathing as some of the comments on Nsc. There is also the Argus comments, although nobody takes them seriously.
I believe JFC has deleted his Twitter account because of the abuse he received.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
When I've listened to the commentary from an away game, the texts read out from fans have been as scathing as some of the comments on Nsc. There is also the Argus comments, although nobody takes them seriously.
I believe JFC has deleted his Twitter account because of the abuse he received.

He has, yes.

Some 'fans' need to take a bit of a look at themselves, to be honest.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
It is sad that you need to post this. JFC is a Brighton lad who has always been totally committed on the football field. When he reads stuff like this posted by a so called fan how do you think he's supposed to feel?

The opinion of anyone who uses the term "shit" to describe the performance of a 20 year old who has always given 100% for Brighton is lamentably laughable. I know that it's been posted by someone who has less understanding of football or the ability to play it than the contents of Jake's toilet pan after he's had a crap but then I can be more sanguine about your bilge as I'm not the butt of your crass attack.

Boring mate, he has been non existent all season, if you are happy when his name is on the team sheet then I would doubt your support for the Albion.

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
This thread saddens me. His own fans should be giving him confidence not running him down all the time. Perhaps it is difficult for him to find his best form in those circumstances but he can when he he plays for the international side where he does not feel under the same pressure.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Currently running 13th of the fit and able players available in the stats:

http://www.whoscored.com/Teams/211

I do not take much notice of the possession loss or being dispossessed stats in his game, cause he has more of the ball than other with better stats. But it does mean his lack of assists and lack of goals do not compare favourably.

I would tend to pick him instead of Tex, who will be going back to Liverpool before being leant out again.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
tbh having just read the thread I would say the vast majority have been supportive of JFC but there is still a vocal minority who think they know better

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
tbh having just read the thread I would say the vast majority have been supportive of JFC but there is still a vocal minority who think they know better

Obviously nothing can justify abuse, but JFC is not above criticism just because he's quite young. I don't think its an unreasonable observation to say he's not really pushed on since he first broke into the team, and has had a poor season for us. He's not the only one of course, but he doesn't have an "exempt" card from criticism because of his age.

There is plenty of potential for him to improve, I don't think many would argue about that. But he needs to start showing that improvement from next season consistently for us, if he's to be considered a decent player at this level.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Be interesting to know why CH has dropped him - or at least not playing him. Does he not fit in with CH's system, or is CH giving him a break from the confidence sapping negativity - or is it just that he's behind Kayal, Stephens and Ince in the pecking order?

All hail to the lad for getting in the England U21 set-up, and apparently doing well there, but to be fair, he hasn't had a good season for us. I'm still amazed that he hasn't been sent out on loan to a decent third division side for a while for his own good.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Obviously nothing can justify abuse, but JFC is not above criticism just because he's quite young. I don't think its an unreasonable observation to say he's not really pushed on since he first broke into the team, and has had a poor season for us. He's not the only one of course, but he doesn't have an "exempt" card from criticism because of his age.

There is plenty of potential for him to improve, I don't think many would argue about that. But he needs to start showing that improvement from next season consistently for us, if he's to be considered a decent player at this level.
There's not a lot wrong with that sentiment.
Although there does seem to be some kind of 'glee' attached to being on JFC back as soon as the whistle is blown.

As said much earlier, if a JFC pass goes astray through his or even the intended recipients fault the groan around the library is comparatively deafening.
Especially when the 10+ year pro and club captain will hammer the ball 60 yards down the pitch for a goal kick, and nobody bats an eyelid.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Maybe his physique allows him to play that role against u21 players but he's not (yet) strong enough to do that in the Championship ???

There's often less tackling and physicality with foreign football so maybe with the u21s, and therefore against foreign teams, he just patrols the area in front of the defence and intercepts as opposed to tackles?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Acker79 stats has shown that isn't true.

My more commonly used stats in JFC threads show we have won games with him, drawn games with him - my stats are usually used to counter the claim we never win or we always lose when her plays.

We actually do have a better record without him this season (W18.5%, D40.75%, L40.75% with him; W41.7%, D33.3%, L25% without him). But that stat alone shouldn't be taken to mean too much. If people remember, our record without Vicente was better than our record with him, does that make Vicente a bad player? The same applies this season for fan favourites Paddy McCourt, Kazenga Lualua, Solly March, Darren Bent and Gary Gardner. The same for England with and without Rooney, despite the recent run of great results and bountiful goals.

The results of the team alone are a poor indicator of a player's quality. With Vicente, and to a degree Rooney, the explanation tends to be that the teams become one dimensional with them in it, that attacks are too predictable, other players stop trying so much and rely on the star.

For JFC, I would personally argue he isn't ready to push for a regular first team place against adults in the championship, he is at the stage of development where he is a decent enough back up for occasional use (I don't mean that as criticism of him), and his inclusion in the team is more an indication of the weakness of the squad at that given time and with a weaker squad you will get worse results.

Bloom talks about trusting Hughton - when he has the option of Stephens, Kayal, Ince, a generally on form Teixeira, he doesn't use JFC as much, the same was true of Oscar and Gus, Hyypia never had the chance to show if he would do the same, but I would suspect so. Yes, we got to 6th last season, but were woefully exposed in the play offs, and generally had the defensive boon of Upson, and the attacking outlet of Ulloa to support the team while it was weakened.

Jake playing, and our form with him, are symptoms of a problem not the cause.

Though I do think, as with at least some of the other players who are often cited as hate figures, there is also the issue that the negativity is exaggerated by people sweeping every negative comment together whether it is a reasoned, balanced comment, or a raving diatribe from someone who has a grudge and is looking to pin everything on him, as well as the phenomenon known as negativity bias - the fact even when in equal quantities, negative interactions are more memorable than positive ones.

I read the piece in the Argus and don't have the slightest problem with TB's comments. It's called supporting the players who play for your team A few people on here sould do well to take note of TB's example.

I've only seen a couple of matches this season so no way am I able to judge whether JFC is good bad or indifferent.

All I know is he is a player for my club, the manager decides if he plays or not and that's good enough for me.

I support him. If the manager decides he is "shite" then I might change my mind but till then I'll support him.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Which is odd, because earlier this season when he was playing that role for us, and getting criticised, people were defending him as playing out of position, that he is an attacking midfielder when he plays for England.

Yep. They have changed where he plays. In the U20 tournament in Toulon last summer he played as a number 10, behind the striker, but in this qualifying campaign and playoffs, he's sat deep.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here