Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beggars : do you give money to them ?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Under absolutely no circumstances would I give money to a beggar. It just encourages them. I do however occasionally stop to give them a brief lecture suggesting that if they cleaned themselves up and got a job like the rest of us they wouldn't be in such a pathetic state. Can't say my comments are often appreciated, but it makes me feel good that I am handing down some useful tips to these layabouts.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I regularly give. Who knows what has led them to that state; it could be a slice of bad luck that could happen to anyone of us. If I have money on me, I'm happy to hand it over - who knows what's round the corner? One day that could be me, or in the future, one of my kids

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Maybe thats one of the reasons he is on the street, that his face doesn't fit and people dont like the look of him? Maybe thats the one you should bung a few quid at?

I don't think he's homeless (well, at all really) because of his hair. And i am nothing like a spokesman for "regular" society. It is possible that this chap is in greater need of help, but my reading of the situation is that the one i choose to hand a spare 41p or so to has a sorrow beneath his warm manner. I don't mind you popping along to Old Street and making your own judgement of a morning. I'll even Paypal you 41p to give to the one you think is in most need also, if you like.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
When I see someone shivering in a shop doorway and I work out that even if they were collecting £40 quid a day they would get that easily working 5/6 hours a day probably in a warm environment I always think that maybe there is something more than just laziness stopping them from getting going.
Having said that the thought of being conned out of even just 50p keeps me awake at night.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Never used to, until I read Stuart, A Life Backwards which really opened my eyes. Dispels a lot of the myths associated with being homeless. Great read too.

People moan that they're only going to spend it on booze and drugs... Yeah, obviously. What would you spend it on, Piano lessons? In fact if I'm smashed myself, it's not unusual for me to pop in to an offie and get a 4-pack to split with them. :shrug:

Lush

Mods' Pet
People on the streets are certainly struggling in some way. Many have mental health issues. Many have addictions to escape from their shitty lives or backgrounds.

Many are not what you would consider homeless. It's often a bit of a misnomer. They have a place to stay of some sort, such as a hostel. Some even may have been offered accommodation, but can't cope on their own. But a place in a hostel enables you to claim benefits, as you then have an address. Possibly even disability benefit if you have serious problems. You may also get fed at the hostel.

The reality is that if you have a heroin addiction, for example, it costs more than you get on benefits, and Brighton is known to be a place where people are kind and give you money. Even if people buy you food, or a soup kitchen rocks up, you can then spend less of your benefits on food and more on drugs or alcohol. By giving directly to street beggars, you are merely prolonging their situation. You may not consider this to be a problem.

I feel desperately sorry about whatever's happened to get people to this stage (and I've heard some real horror stories), but the best people to give your money to are people like Brighton Housing Trust, who are trying to help people make the changes that will get them off the streets for good.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I don't think he's homeless (well, at all really) because of his hair. And i am nothing like a spokesman for "regular" society. It is possible that this chap is in greater need of help, but my reading of the situation is that the one i choose to hand a spare 41p or so to has a sorrow beneath his warm manner. I don't mind you popping along to Old Street and making your own judgement of a morning. I'll even Paypal you 41p to give to the one you think is in most need also, if you like.

Your right it is a judgement call, and it is your money to donate. Im just pointing out that things are not always as they appear. I have asked some if they want a burger/coffee? Ive had a positive response, maybe I got it right so far. I hope you do.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I once had a guy come up to me in East st who asked me if I could spare a pound or two for a beer, I couldn't believe his honesty, it made me chuckle so much I gave him a quid and told him to enjoy it.
I'd say I don't give to them most of the time but it does make me feel good if I do. There's a black guy who walks around town quite a lot, I think he used to be a bouncer in Brighton, i often give him a bit as he is very friendly and clearly has mental issues. I know he spends it on beer but who wouldn't in those circumstances.
There's also a young women who hangs around Brighton station who spends her time telling people she is a few quid short of her train fair, I don't give her a penny as she is being deceptive.

My mate used to work a rickshaw in London around where a few beggars hung out. He told me the one that did the best through the night used to shot " I need X amount for some crack cocaine" - worked a treat apparently. Either that or urban myth.... who knows.

I give money to them, i don't really give a shit what they are going to spend it on. That is their business, there is no way i can tell.

I did meet some twats once who drove into town in the car their parents bought them (they were from some well to do village in Sussex) and begged for the day, made a packet and then ****ed off back to their middle class comfortable life. I poured beer on one of them one drunken afternoon. I must have looked like a right *******.

Also gave someone a few quid while waiting to get the coach up to London to see These Animal Men. She then got on the coach a few seats down from me. There i was at the end of the night short of enough money for another drink, i noticed her at the end of the bar so i went and asked her to buy me one. After embarrassing her she begrudgingly handed me a pint.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
People on the streets are certainly struggling in some way. Many have mental health issues. Many have addictions to escape from their shitty lives or backgrounds.

Many are not what you would consider homeless. It's often a bit of a misnomer. They have a place to stay of some sort, such as a hostel. Some even may have been offered accommodation, but can't cope on their own. But a place in a hostel enables you to claim benefits, as you then have an address. Possibly even disability benefit if you have serious problems. You may also get fed at the hostel.

The reality is that if you have a heroin addiction, for example, it costs more than you get on benefits, and Brighton is known to be a place where people are kind and give you money. Even if people buy you food, or a soup kitchen rocks up, you can then spend less of your benefits on food and more on drugs or alcohol. By giving directly to street beggars, you are merely prolonging their situation. You may not consider this to be a problem.

I feel desperately sorry about whatever's happened to get people to this stage (and I've heard some real horror stories), but the best people to give your money to are people like Brighton Housing Trust, who are trying to help people make the changes that will get them off the streets for good.

I ended up homeless in 2004 due to mental and physical health issues. I went into hospital and got referred to BHT resettlement programme and they helped me get back on my feet and eventually into permanent housing. Tam truly thankful for their help.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Never used to, until I read Stuart, A Life Backwards which really opened my eyes. Dispels a lot of the myths associated with being homeless. Great read too.

People moan that they're only going to spend it on booze and drugs... Yeah, obviously. What would you spend it on, Piano lessons? In fact if I'm smashed myself, it's not unusual for me to pop in to an offie and get a 4-pack to split with them. :shrug:

The booze and drugs theory is an easy one to find evidence for (if you are looking hard enough, as i have mentioned in the post above). If you decide to use that evidence to prove that all homeless people and beggars are the same then it makes it easier to nothing as you walk past them. The fact is that their are as many different stories as their are beggars, some will be similar and most will involve a few bad decisions and a lot of bad luck. I am much more in the 'There but for the grace of god..." camp and am happy to take the risk of being made a 'mug' of to ensure that i help a few who need it. I usually by the Big issue, rarely read it but the bloke i get it from always makes me take it.

There's also a young women who hangs around Brighton station who spends her time telling people she is a few quid short of her train fair, I don't give her a penny as she is being deceptive.

Is this the petite girl with the cockney accent "alright babe? Fanks darlin" type, very friendly, sometimes carries a little dog?

She changes up £60-70 a day into notes in the betting shops/pubs etc on a daily basis

Jan 30, 2008
Sorry but anyone that believes that the pound you give won't end up being spent on drugs, booze or a roulette machine is living in a dream world, give them money if it makes YOU feel better but that's about it.

i had some foreigner come up to me in Brighton in the summer and ask for money for a bottle of water, see him half an hour later walking up Marine parade heading towards the marina :wanker:
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here