Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beggars : do you give money to them ?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
There's one near Old Street (London) that I won't give money to as I don't like the look of him, or his style, even down to his hair, but one not far from him that I will do as he has a friendly face (not in a my mouth is open to your penile friendliness). I shouldn't judge in such a way really, but I do. I think, really, it's who I'd feel most guilty not to give to. If the one I don't like sat within viewing distance of the one I don't mind, I would have to give to nether or both. I'd be winced to death if I was seen to prefer one.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Yes I was wondering that as I typed, they aren't buskers if they are awful, in my world. Subways have the echo, like singing in the bathroom sounds great to you, crap to everyone else!

Ah but they're buskers. Or are they if they are really shit ?
We had an old woman playing a guitar (badly) and singing The Monster Mash recently on the NY subway and because we knew the words and were also pissed we joined in. She walked away as if we might be after a cut.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
One freezing night in Manchester, I was on the way into McDonalds, and a chap sat in the doorway outside, with his cap in front of him, mumbles "spare some change for a coffee, mate?"

I didn't give him any cash, but as I'd actually gone in for a coffee, I got him one, too. When I handed it to him on the way out, he looked at me like I'd shat in his cap! :jester:

I had a similar experience on Clapham Junction a few months ago, coming back from a meeting. Someone approached me and asked for some money, because he hadn'r eaten all day. I had bought a sandwich on my way up, had lunch supplied at the meeting, still had the sandwich, so gave it to him.

I then watched discreetly as he walked slowly right to the other end of the long bridge across all the platforms, and put the sandwich in a bin at the other end. I am a trusting sort of bloke, but with a dose of realism, especially since that.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
At least most of the beggars are happy to sit quietly unlike the chuggers who look to trap you again and again. My record is 5 from the same charity all approaching me within 50 yards of each other.

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
When working in the US or Canada I will often ask the restaurant I am eating at to wrap up any left overs and i then will give these to one of the guys on the street. They always seem really grateful thus I continue to do it. The difference is in the US there are not the many safety nets we have provided by the state, thus i believe they are more likely to be genuinely hungry and homeless.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I won't give money, but I have bought a drink and food. I also give them a card with Friends First on it which explains that every Monday night, Church of Christ the King in New England Street do hot meals for the homeless, besides handing out warm gloves, hats etc in winter.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Hardly ever as a rule, then walking home in the early hours after being in London the other week, a woman appoached me as I was walking past a kebab shop, saying she was starving, and could I give her some money for some chips, I gave her a couple of quid, then watched as she just walked straight past said kebab shop. Won't bother again

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
There's one near Old Street (London) that I won't give money to as I don't like the look of him, or his style, even down to his hair,....

Maybe thats one of the reasons he is on the street, that his face doesn't fit and people dont like the look of him? Maybe thats the one you should bung a few quid at?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I cant help feeling that giving them food makes us feel better about ourselves, rather than ultimately giving them what they need to make them feel better, which is money.

Giving them a gift that you have somehow determined what they may need, is a bit like getting paid on a Friday by vouchers that only allows you to purchase different things that your boss feels would do you good, can you imagine getting brocolli, skin cream and deodorant vouchers and no money to spunk on booze with your mates !!!

I sometimes do, more often than not walk by, I do always wonder what their story is though ?

Kuma

*dons shades*
Aug 22, 2015
Midlands
I used to, until a woman threw it back in my face claiming it wasn't enough. It was the only time I'd ever got a reaction like that but it made me stop doing it.

I volunteer in a soup kitchen though, the people who come there are always really grateful and it feels like it helps more.

I was once told by someone who had lived in India that the correct way to respond to a street beggar is to reach into your pocket and take out the smallest coin possible and then give it to the beggar in complete silence.

The beggar has received a gift and you have not been over-exploited. Everyone wins.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I was once told by someone who had lived in India that the correct way to respond to a street beggar is to reach into your pocket and take out the smallest coin possible and then give it to the beggar in complete silence.

The beggar has received a gift and you have not been over-exploited. Everyone wins.

I try that when giving to an unexpected bucket collection, the angst trying to blindly find the twenty pence piece and not the pound coin when rummaging in my trouser pocket is particularly awkward .............

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
Feeding the 5,000 to tackle "scandalous" food wastage

VOLUNTEERS will serve up 5,000 free curries from surplus produce to highlight the issue of food waste.
Brighton and Hove Food Partnership will feed the 5,000 on October 29 from more than a tonne of surplus food donated by local businesses and farms.
They will set up by The Level in Brighton and hand out the free grub to hungry passers-by.Vera Zakharov, coordinator of Brighton and Hove Food Partnership, said: “Our free feast is for everyone, whether you want to tackle food waste at home, volunteer in your local community, put pressure on policymakers, or just appreciate a free, nutritious meal.
“If you like good food, care about your environment and want to join the movement to end food waste, come along.”

Go fill yer boots :D

kip

Aug 2, 2011
I once had a guy come up to me in East st who asked me if I could spare a pound or two for a beer, I couldn't believe his honesty, it made me chuckle so much I gave him a quid and told him to enjoy it.
I'd say I don't give to them most of the time but it does make me feel good if I do. There's a black guy who walks around town quite a lot, I think he used to be a bouncer in Brighton, i often give him a bit as he is very friendly and clearly has mental issues. I know he spends it on beer but who wouldn't in those circumstances.
There's also a young women who hangs around Brighton station who spends her time telling people she is a few quid short of her train fair, I don't give her a penny as she is being deceptive.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
Once had a chat with a homeless guy in Worthing, waiting at a bus stop (me, not him). Had fallen on bad times, and rather weather beaten.

He had to finish his cans of beer, or wouldn't get allowed into a shelter that night. Not sure if he's eaten anything, for a while.

Didn't have any money on me, but gave him my gloves, and a packet of crisps. Went there the next evening, with some pasties and soup, but no sign. Hope he got sorted out.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
Far better to give your money to a charity like Crisis than to individuals. That way, you can be sure it'll get spent on something that directly benefits people down on their luck.

Are you really more confident that all the money you donate will help someone who needs it if you donate to a charity rather than hand the money directly to someone who you deem worthy?

To answer the thread question, yes I do and I give unconditionally. I honestly could not care less what they do with it - as soon as I've given them money, it's theirs to do with as they please.

I understand if you don't want your 50p spent on drugs or alcohol so don't give money - give food or donate it to a food bank.

Also, the assumption that almost everyone on the streets is addicted to alcohol or drugs is frankly quite offensive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here