Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beer On The Terraces

Chamberpot

Jan 5, 2010
I think most fans wouldn't cause any trouble with the beer in the stands. Although when it comes to home fans and away fans being seats apart that's where I can see some supporters throwing beer, piss etc. or might kick right off.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Why was it made against the law in the first place, anyone know?

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Of course, FIFA have no problems with fans drinking beer at World Cup matches.

You can even have it served at your seat :)

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Draconian rule not worthy of a modern society. There is a compromise I feel would suit most - drinking alcohol in your seat is allowed but the bars are only open whilst the game is not playing ie close at kick off and start of second half this would mean you can get served up to the kick off and take that pint to your seat to finish it off. Yes I know it can be abused but the stewards can do their job and CCTV could be used if there was a problem.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Went to watch the NFL at Wembley last year (Had to take my old man - long story!) & was allowed to take drinks (& customery "foot long chilli dog") back to our seats. Everyone saw it as a bit of an oddity for the first 5 mins but didn't see anyone ordering shed loads & drinking for the sake of it etc - just made the atmosphere even better!

I go to the NFL match every year. Unfortunately there are always groups of dickheads who are up and down every 5 minutes either buying beer or going for a piss because of all the beer. They might have well just gone to the pub instead as they miss most of the game.

Very annoying.

Would be nice to be able to sit in my seat though witha pie and a beer.

Dumseagull

Jun 13, 2012
Lancing
i could handle the no drinking in your seat thing but, if you go in at half time, get strait in the line for a beer... its not unusual to not get served in time!!

15-20 minute lines are the norm in west lower

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Why was it made against the law in the first place, anyone know?

I would be interested to know this too
I vaguely remember smuggling the old ring pull tinnies into The Goldstone late 80's in my jean pockets
Seemingly everyone was at it as recall trampling on loads of beer cans on the floor of the terraces
Beer and a smoke then watching the footie, couldn't beat it

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
The whole "will people start pissing in their bottles/plastic cups" thing - what's that all about? Couldn't they just piss in a coke bottle and lob that around? Actually how silly of me, it's Pepsi at the Amex isn't it.

Anyway.. What would be the harm in at least letting alcohol be consumed before kick-off in our seats? It really pisses me off getting to the ground, getting a pint but have to stand in the concourse.. With 27,000 odd seats just outside the door. Yeah ok, I could go to a pub before hand, which I normally do, but I also (like many) like a drink at the ground too. And I'd like to sit nicely in my seat and consume said pint. Sure there would need to be a bit of extra "policing", but come on - what age do we live in!?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Its sounds like a nice idea in principle, but:

How could you mental when a goal is scored with a pint in your hand? Well you could but I'd pity the poor sod in front of me.

Would anyone like the stream of people back and forth along the seat rows to refill their pint or go to the loo? Or the bloke who arrives 30 seconds after kick-off with three pints in his hands spilling them over everyone as he stocks up for the half.

It doesn't really work does it?

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak

How could you mental when a goal is scored with a pint in your hand? Well you could but I'd pity the poor sod in front of me.

Would anyone like the stream of people back and forth along the seat rows to refill their pint or go to the loo? Or the bloke who arrives 30 seconds after kick-off with three pints in his hands spilling them over everyone as he stocks up for the half.

As someone who likes a beer or two I agree with this - I remember many eons ago sitting in the Meccano Stand and getting a pint on me as a ten year old when we scored (and despite how it sounds now it wasnt funny at the time!!!).

Football has changed- there are alot more kids attending matches than there used to be and a big group of 18-20 year olds who can't handle their drink may spoil it for others and would ultimately put people off coming.

You're only talking about 2 lots of 45 minutes with not having a pint and if you can't stand not having a beer for that short period of time then you need help!

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Interesting point. Is the ban based on the "cultural" history of football fans behaviour?

A couple of years ago I went to Twickenham to watch the rugger buggers (England v Italy) with my daughter and son in law. We took 12 pints, on trays, to our seats. (That was for starters!)

I have never seen such a mass consumption of beer in one place in such a short time. The positive thing was that everyone was friendly, there was no trouble and we all had a jolly good time!

With the respect and friendly attitude of Albion fans I can't see this being a problem at the Amex but then that's wishful thinking.

12 pints for starters.Say it out loud "I am an alcoholic"

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

Do people not 'go mental' when England score a try at Twickenham or take an Aussie wicket at Headingly? These sports are similar and cope fine.

What happens to those that are currently driniking tea/coffee or Pepsi with the lids removed? There haven't been loads of stories of fans covered in hot chocolate when Albion score.

Simple answer introduce a lid for the beer similar to those used on hot drinks, open the tab, drink beer, close tab.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Maybe it's an age thing but if I had a couple of pints before the game I would miss most of it from being in the loo 3 or 4 times. Seriously in 50 years of watching footie I have never associated having a drink with football. It would never occur to me. Now if you were talking Bovril....

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one

Your first point can be even more dangerous with a hot bovril. All that is needed is for stewards, instead of policing if anyone takes beer to the seats, they just police one beer per person. As I said before trial it, but only before kick off.
Also bars are closed during the game. Stops all the problems you describe. I just find it daft that an hour before kick off, I can take a beer and sit in my seat, watch the pre match and drink it.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here