Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beer On The Terraces

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
OK so it is law and we have accept it.

But worth a debate I feel about the pro's and con's, would you be against it etc.

For me, not a big drinker but I like a beer or two on match day's. Would be nice to have a pre match dring in my seat. Is it just a case of the minority would spoil it for the majority. Would we end up back to the time where people would piss in cans / plastic glasses and lob them around. Or are we now a more civilised crowd.

:drink::drink::drink::drink:punish:

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
The fact that you're allowed liquid, cups and you're allowed to drink at the football make it a bit ridiculous. If games were alcohol free I could understand it. but IMO if anything it actually encourages people to binge drink and throw a pint or two down their neck before the match starts.. Silly.

spoonie

Apr 19, 2011
needs changing bigtime, currently most people have 10 mins to down a pint at half time if we get served in time, surely bringing in a pint at the start and at half time would not harm anyone ? they do it in Germany with no problem. who should we campaign to ???

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
needs changing bigtime, currently most people have 10 mins to down a pint at half time if we get served in time, surely bringing in a pint at the start and at half time would not harm anyone ? they do it in Germany with no problem. who should we campaign to ???

I've thought about this quite often and the obvious thing would be to set up one of those Government Petitions and then let fans of all clubs know about it. It would appear that football fans, in the eyes of government, are far less capable of enjoying a pint during a match than rugby or cricket fans. Or non-league football goers.

Time for change.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The problem is that whilst we are, n the main, civilised at the Amex, there are still a load of clubs full of knuckle-draggers that simply can't be trusted; Millwall and Pompey spring to mind (although Pompey will be non-league in a couple of years anyway).
The only way it could work is on a stadium by stadium basis with individual licensing and strict policing.

el punal

Interesting point. Is the ban based on the "cultural" history of football fans behaviour?

A couple of years ago I went to Twickenham to watch the rugger buggers (England v Italy) with my daughter and son in law. We took 12 pints, on trays, to our seats. (That was for starters!)

I have never seen such a mass consumption of beer in one place in such a short time. The positive thing was that everyone was friendly, there was no trouble and we all had a jolly good time!

With the respect and friendly attitude of Albion fans I can't see this being a problem at the Amex but then that's wishful thinking.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
OK so it is law and we have accept it.

But worth a debate I feel about the pro's and con's, would you be against it etc.

For me, not a big drinker but I like a beer or two on match day's. Would be nice to have a pre match dring in my seat. Is it just a case of the minority would spoil it for the majority. Would we end up back to the time where people would piss in cans / plastic glasses and lob them around. Or are we now a more civilised crowd.

:drink::drink::drink::drink:punish:

A pathetic law. Nothing better than having a pint watching Rugby - even at football grounds!

If the old bill did their jobs properly, we would not all have to suffer for their ineptitude in controlling football crowds.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Well, I watched the Olympic football final at Wembley and no, I couldn't take my beer to my seat.

But watching the paralympic athletics, no problem with taking my beer to me seat.

Perhaps a silly rule, but then athletics is a different sort of spectator sport anyway.

A lot of cricket grounds are bringing in restrictions on alcohol sales, aren't they?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I think it should be trailed before kick off only then if that goes ok, then half time, and full time. Stewards currently police people taking beer into the seated area, but they'd just have to allow one beer per person so that they don't buy 3or4 for during the game. It would stop the toilet rush after 20 minutes of the game also.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Well, I watched the Olympic football final at Wembley and no, I couldn't take my beer to my seat.

But watching the paralympic athletics, no problem with taking my beer to me seat.

Perhaps a silly rule, but then athletics is a different sort of spectator sport anyway.

A lot of cricket grounds are bringing in restrictions on alcohol sales, aren't they?

I would imagine it is something to do with it being at Wembley I watched football at the Riverbank Arena and they were selling beer on the terraces.

Out of interest who went to the American footie at Wembley, could you drink on the terraces then

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
The bloke who sits a couple of seats down from me gets up for a piss during the game enough. God knows what he'd be like if he was drinking in his seat.

That aside I'd be well up for it.

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
Went to watch the NFL at Wembley last year (Had to take my old man - long story!) & was allowed to take drinks (& customery "foot long chilli dog") back to our seats. Everyone saw it as a bit of an oddity for the first 5 mins but didn't see anyone ordering shed loads & drinking for the sake of it etc - just made the atmosphere even better!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here