[Football] Beer in the stands?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The luzzing problem would be short.

Albion might introduce alcohol to the seats with warnings of ejection etc. If and when it starts, which it probably would, fans would soon begin to police themselves, combined with stewards targeting the puzzlers this would soon lead to ejections and possible bans.

People would soon learn, and realise that throwing a fiver in the air could get expensive.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
hardly the most pressing issue facing football.

Would be a nice idea if it really did generate income for lower league clubs but if this is a way of bolstering clubs finances in the PL its would be funny.

Forget astronomical wages and transfer fees and lets make a quick buck by flogging alchohol.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
What I love about going to the football here is that, most of the time, I don't even need to leave my spot to get a beer. Pretty chicks come around to serve with beer keg thingy backpacks. :thumbsup::drink::ascarf:

The 70s have been on the phone and they would like their word for attractive ladies back please :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
hardly the most pressing issue facing football.

Would be a nice idea if it really did generate income for lower league clubs but if this is a way of bolstering clubs finances in the PL its would be funny.

Forget astronomical wages and transfer fees and lets make a quick buck by flogging alchohol.

This government will keep it up it's sleeve and use it to cover up a clusterf**k much further down the line.

I look forward to having beer poured all over me v Arsenal :down:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Problem is it won’t be one pint…..people will take 2, 3 or more to their seat (happens at the cricket and rugby all the time)

I notice that Sussex sell two-pint glasses at the County Ground now. But as they'd run out of Harvey's the last three times I've been there, they're pretty redundant

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Albion might introduce alcohol to the seats with warnings of ejection etc. If and when it starts, which it probably would, fans would soon begin to police themselves, combined with stewards targeting the puzzlers this would soon lead to ejections and possible bans.

People would soon learn, and realise that throwing a fiver in the air could get expensive.

Would they be having cross words?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Just so I'm clear on this, a fan-led review into the growing and systemic issues facing football was commissioned following the ESL scandal that was (i) negotiated in secret by the current owners of a tiny minority of European super-clubs, (ii) presented as a fait accompli and (iii) threatened the very essence and existence of the football pyramid.

And one of this review's 'Key Recommendations' is "we want to be able to drink beer in the stands." ??

FFS :facepalm:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I am really, really, really anti this. I am there to watch a game of football. If I wanted to watch a series of the back of people's heads and a fat bloke balancing a round of drinks on some steps, I am sure there are cheaper places I could go.I already despair when I miss a corner as someone heads off mid game only to return with a bottle of water and a Twix. FFS no one EVER died of dehydration at a football match in England Fact! (probably). If you are desperate for a Twix, stick one in your pocket and bring it with you.

I would be fine with people taking their sits in time for either half with a beer, IF they can manage to control their bladder for 45 minutes, otherwise I will deliberately start tripping people up and there will be carnage.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just so I'm clear on this, a fan-led review into the growing and systemic issues facing football was commissioned following the ESL scandal

FFS :facepalm:

Hardly a scandal.

She stood up and shouted Albion.
We all tutted.
One of us spoke to a steward.
She was removed.

Sure shooting her in the head is a little scandalous but it's for the greater good.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I am really, really, really anti this. I am there to watch a game of football. If I wanted to watch a series of the back of people's heads and a fat bloke balancing a round of drinks on some steps, I am sure there are cheaper places I could go.I already despair when I miss a corner as someone heads off mid game only to return with a bottle of water and a Twix. FFS no one EVER died of dehydration at a football match in England Fact! (probably). If you are desperate for a Twix, stick one in your pocket and bring it with you.

I would be fine with people taking their sits in time for either half with a beer, IF they can manage to control their bladder for 45 minutes, otherwise I will deliberately start tripping people up and there will be carnage.

Agree - it's incredibly annoying. Should implement cricket-style rules - if you go out to get food, drink or for a slash, you are held on the steps coming back in until there is a break in play. Incidentally when we chose our season tickets we deliberately went right in the middle of the row so we wouldn't be as bothered by the weak-bladdered or perpetually hungry

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I have watched Rugby at the Amex and the amount of people trying to get past to buy a drink then a bit later on go to the toilet got a bit annoying. Have it so people can bring their drink to their seat but the bars are closed during the match (less a few minutes before half time).

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
No, no and no again.

Having attended loads of NFL and Baseball games in the States (and England Rugby matches at Twickenham) I know from experience what a completely s**t idea this is.

Constant flow of people coming past your seat during the game - back and forth - incredibly annoying. Spilt drinks are an added bonus of course.

I'm there to watch the game and support my team - the drinking is for before the game, at H/T (if time permits) and afterwards.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

Be enforced as much as standing is in the NS. Be next to impossible to see who was luzzing their beer imo.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I would allow people to take a drink to their seats, but shut the bars during the game as they are now. I'd also make sure it was only 1 drink per person.

Having been to numerous World Cups where drinking in seats is allowed + bars are open all game, the constant up/down and people passing to go to the toilet is annoying and a direct consequence of allowing this kind of drinking

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Is there a policy of keeping the no alcohol being served during play, but alcoholic beverages bought before KO or at HT can be consumed in your seat? or I could just say what he said above...:)

That would surely keep drinking during the game to a minimum, but also if you did get served 5 mins before KO, you could finish your drink in the comfort of your seat. This would or should then prevent any additional movement during the game.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The constant interruptions which happen at the cricket are annoying enough for people going in and out with either beer or the effects of beer, and more than once have had a whole load of it spilled down my back then had no choice but to sit there in a sticky, beer-soaked shirt for an afternoon. And cricket is a sport which lends itself to those interruptions way more than football does.

Absolute no from me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports