Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Beer in the stands?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I definitely wouldn’t be impressed if fans were throwing beer up in the air in the stands and I got covered in shite lager.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
View attachment 140666

Just seen this on twitter.

What are the thoughts on this, is it likely, and is it a good idea.

Personally, I’m torn on this, I’d enjoy a pint watching the game, but, not too keen on some one going out to the bar 3 or 4 times a half, pushing past you and possibly spilling beer all over you.

I had to get up 4 times for the same two chaps’ visits to the concourse at the game last night. All during the match at times when alcohol was not being served.

The issue you raise is not exclusive to alcohol and therefore is not a reason to prevent it being drunk whilst watching a match.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Unfortunately, I can see it happening.

Huge income stream for the clubs, say 30,000 crowd, sell an extra 10,000 pints at a fiver a throw (no pun intended) 50 grand, 18 times a season , that’s nearly a million extra a year. That may not be a lot for the PL clubs, but the Championship would lap it up.

Edit: 23 home games in the Championship.

Less 16.67% in VAT, less 85% of the rest for the cost of the beer

= £125,000 additional profit per season.

A week and half of Lallana’s wages.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Luzz central.

Drenched central.

Scrapping fans central.

Well, this is the nub of the issue isn’t it?

I consider myself to be a fairly easy going person and I certainly don’t condone violence. But if any dickhead felt compelled to luzz beer over myself or my children I would unhesitatingly stove their face in.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Absolutely in favour, providing the bar is shut whilst the match is in play. Nothing wrong with a pre/post or halftime beer being taken to your seat. A big no to bars being open during the game. No one interested in the game wants that.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
What I love about going to the football here is that, most of the time, I don't even need to leave my spot to get a beer. Pretty chicks come around to serve with beer keg thingy backpacks. :thumbsup::drink::ascarf:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
To prevent potential luzzing, perhaps they could serve the beer in bottles that have some kind of top.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I had to get up 4 times for the same two chaps’ visits to the concourse at the game last night. All during the match at times when alcohol was not being served.

The issue you raise is not exclusive to alcohol and therefore is not a reason to prevent it being drunk whilst watching a match.

I disagree. Obviously don't know why they got up so many times, one can only perhaps guess it was due to what they had consumed when beer was being sold so that is an added reason not to serve during the match.

In principle though I agree that you should be able to drink a pint in sight of the pitch however the whole thing will be banned the moment morons start chucking it around when we score.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I disagree. Obviously don't know why they got up so many times, one can only perhaps guess it was due to what they had consumed when beer was being sold so that is an added reason not to serve during the match.

In principle though I agree that you should be able to drink a pint in sight of the pitch however the whole thing will be banned the moment morons start chucking it around when we score.

And they inevitably will.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
At games in Germany I have taken a 4 pint pitcher and other beers to my seat and ditto at the rugby (including in match buying to avoid queues) and it has been a recipe for disaster as spent large parts of the second half pissing in the toilets and missing the game!

However a sensible compromise would be closing the bars during the match but allowing you to carry a pre match:half time pint to your seat if unfinished

Uptown Dunk

Sep 4, 2021
Pre pandemic I was a regular at the Principality stadium for rugby matches, where drinking is allowed throughout the game. Viewing was regularly interrupted by those going to/from toilets and bars. It quickly becomes irritating.

To the extent I ended up complaining to the then CEO of the WRU, Martyn Phillips. To his credit he called me and we had a constructive discussion on how to make the supporter experience better. I used other venues, including the Amex, as examples of where things were done well. On the question of in seat drinking he noted their plans to introduce dry sections for future matches to prevent supporter disruption during the game.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Absolutely in favour, providing the bar is shut whilst the match is in play. Nothing wrong with a pre/post or halftime beer being taken to your seat. A big no to bars being open during the game. No one interested in the game wants that.

Problem is it won’t be one pint…..people will take 2, 3 or more to their seat (happens at the cricket and rugby all the time)

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The club surveyed fans when asked about safe standing. I would like to think they would do the same on this issue but they may not as they would quite like the extra revenue. If asked, I would vote against for all the reasons mentioned on this thread. The first time someone threw their beer in the air and we got soaked we wouldn’t come again.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Problem is it won’t be one pint…..people will take 2, 3 or more to their seat (happens at the cricket and rugby all the time)

Really? How many hands have these people got? and good luck having them not knocked over. You could restrict sales to one per person 15 mins before kick off/ second half and have the bars shut during the game. I am not in favour of unrestricted boozing during the game, but I do not see why anyone should not be able to take their unfinished pre or HT pint to their seat.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Really? How many hands have these people got? and good luck having them not knocked over. You could restrict sales to one per person 15 mins before kick off/ second half and have the bars shut during the game. I am not in favour of unrestricted boozing during the game, but I do not see why anyone should not be able to take their unfinished pre or HT pint to their seat.

Because football fans are tw@ts.

Or to be more specific some football fans are tw@ts and some of those tw@ts would be supercharged weapons grade tw@ts over this.

It's unbelievable 'we' can't be trusted to watch 45 minutes of football without being tw@ts around alcohol.
It's a pathetic law.
One that is embarrassing.
One that we should be completely ashamed of.

And a law I wholeheartedly agree with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here