[NSC] Become an NSC Supporter. If you want. It's entirely optional. No-one has to.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There are those who would say Southampton is Plebton!
Maybe I should have gone for Winchester, which is 5 miles in the other direction.
I wouldn't. Young miss Bozza is currently at university there. If that wasn't deterrent enough, you'd run the risk of bumping into me every now and again.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I don't use cards for continuous payments, that what DD are for.

So can anyone explain what happens:

1. If I decide to leave if a great huff and want to cancel the ongoing commitment
2. When the card I signed up with expires

If it makes any difference to the answers I do not have, nor do I want a PayPal account.

Thanks

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bozza could enable it so a more "flush" member could sponsor one of the "poor", replacing the slogan ***Loyal supporter*** with ***sponsored by username***.
This would increase take up of Bozza's subscription because who would want to see the name of their greatest NSC antagonist (p)wning them each time they logged in. They'd have to subscribe out of fear.

What fun.
You jest, I appreciate, but one thing I've noticed on some Youtube channels I follow is exactly that happens and it seems quite common.

Existing patrons/subscribers/whatever buy memberships to gift to other people. I'm not sure how the recipient is chosen - it might be random.

But, anyway, no, it wasn't something I was going to suggest for here!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Will you be carrying on with the Amazon thingy ….its been a very simple way to offer support

Is the debit card payment set up to auto renew?
Yep - it's still there.

On the Prime Day thing I noticed that at some point Amazon changed how the scheme works. Previously there was a %age rate of "commission" that varied by product category, eg books may be 6% and consoles 2% (I've made those up as an example) so, if someone clicked through from NSC, the site would earn those rates for anything bought.

Now, the site only earns those specific rates if they click through from a link to that specific item. Anything else bought earns a flat 1% - and that's 1% of the net price, ie before VAT.

This means anyone using the generic link at the top of NSC to buy something only earns the site 1%, and this has dramatically reduced the amount NSC earns.

To illustrate this, looking at the report for last month, some Ninja Air Fryers were bought - some via a direct link and some via a generic Amazon link. The ones bought via the direct link earned NSC £4.50 each, the ones bought via the generic link earned NSC £1.33 each.

But, yes, please use that link it all helps. And if you want to buy something specific and can spare a few minutes, send me the link and I'll convert it into a specific link which should boost NSC's earnings when you buy!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yep - it's still there.

On the Prime Day thing I noticed that at some point Amazon changed how the scheme works. Previously there was a %age rate of "commission" that varied by product category, eg books may be 6% and consoles 2% (I've made those up as an example) so, if someone clicked through from NSC, the site would earn those rates for anything bought.

Now, the site only earns those specific rates if they click through from a link to that specific item. Anything else bought earns a flat 1% - and that's 1% of the net price, ie before VAT.

This means anyone using the generic link at the top of NSC to buy something only earns the site 1%, and this has dramatically reduced the amount NSC earns.

To illustrate this, looking at the report for last month, some Ninja Air Fryers were bought - some via a direct link and some via a generic Amazon link. The ones bought via the direct link earned NSC £4.50 each, the ones bought via the generic link earned NSC £1.33 each.

But, yes, please use that link it all helps. And if you want to buy something specific and can spare a few minutes, send me the link and I'll convert it into a specific link which should boost NSC's earnings when you buy!
I’ll try and remember that …especially for items of significant value

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
All set up.

It's a small price to pay for all the entertainment and debates dressed up as arguments ( or should that be the other way round ? ). Equally I've received invaluable advice from NSC over the years - everything from restaurants to probate.

Last edited:

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
And if you want to buy something specific and can spare a few minutes, send me the link and I'll convert it into a specific link which should boost NSC's earnings when you buy!
Is that something you could automate? I'd be fine taking the Amazon URL, putting it into NSC and pressing a button to get the affiliated link immediatelly. But to have a manual process when you don't know how long it'd take for someone to respond, I'm not sure I'd be patient enough...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Is that something you could automate? I'd be fine taking the Amazon URL, putting it into NSC and pressing a button to get the affiliated link immediatelly. But to have a manual process when you don't know how long it'd take for someone to respond, I'm not sure I'd be patient enough...
I don't think so, no.

And I fully appreciate it's a pain, so I'd not suggested it before. I might create a load of links for the popular things that are bought - such as Amazon devices, Ring doorbells and Albion bits and pieces.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I wouldn't. Young miss Bozza is currently at university there. If that wasn't deterrent enough, you'd run the risk of bumping into me every now and again.
Alright then, Romsey.
and all this because I thought that DavidinChandlersFordjustoutsideSouthampton was too long.

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
Yep - it's still there.

Is the affiliate link limited to just the .co.uk address or is it also useable for .ca etc?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Medal?

If you're talking about the green thing, that's the "is currently online" indicator, which everyone has when they are online - although it may be turn-off-able in your options.

Maybe it looks like a medal because my avatar doesn't take up all available space, so it appears to be below it, but it's actually overlapping it in the same way as everyone else's does.
No sorry wrong word - I actually meant under our own avatars instead of having any words to indicate we are supporters, maybe using a much smaller copy image of your NSC Seagull logo that you use for your Avatar if that makes sense - would make us like like lots of little Bozzas 🙂 but thought it could look good instead of wording - just a thought ( bit like a sponsorship tag)
(Maybe even modifying it by removing ‘binfest’ and replace with ‘fan’ or ‘supporter?’)

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Before reading a thread, do you now look to see if poster is a paid up member.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I don't use cards for continuous payments, that what DD are for.

So can anyone explain what happens:

1. If I decide to leave if a great huff and want to cancel the ongoing commitment
2. When the card I signed up with expires

If it makes any difference to the answers I do not have, nor do I want a PayPal account.

Thanks
Cancel it using the link ?
IMG_6414.jpeg

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You may not be spoiling for a fight here, but over the course of your posts, that's how it's coming across.

I'm very appreciative of people who are able and willing to support the site directly. Someone said this to me today...

"It’s heartening though isn’t it - that those people clearly see real value in the site and that it’s worth supporting. From the comments all of them have signed up to support the site rather than for any personal user experience. You should take real pride in that."

...and I guess I do (take some pride). I've spent 23 years keeping this monstrosity alive. Many thousands of hours, more legal threats than I can remember and even threats of physical harm to my family. That other people also feel fond enough of this madhouse to be willing to provide direct support, is lovely. I absolutely know that not everyone can, as well as knowing plenty of people (who have never met me) seem to hate me, and never would help. All of that is absolutely fine, of course.
Yes, 100% agree, and I signed up the moment I saw the thread. I've been using NSC since about 1998, I love it, and I don't 'do' social media so this is the only real online interaction I have and I'm happy to make a direct financial contribution. (And have a spare £50).

Having said that I do think @Diablo has a point. I am ever-so-slightly uncomfortable with seeing a special wording under my username. I know it isn't meant like this, but some could take it as us boasting, in every post, that "We are better than yew!" And yes, I can see why some now think that NSC is now two-tier.

So personally I'd like to lose the additional 'Supporter' tag. I appreciate you want to acknowledge our direct support, so why not have a list of names somewhere? (A bit like the list of logged-in users). You could then have a little piece at the top of that list saying what a 'Site Supporter' is and how to become one.

This is no way a criticism, and yes, you have every right to be proud of NSC.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports