Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beckhams kids in argie shirts

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I too wanted them to win and was glad that they did, but for me (or more to the point my kids) to wear a German shirt is a no no.

Why not? It's not as if that's going to turn them into flippin' Nazi's or anything. I wanted Germany to win, hell i'm considering getting a Germany top at some point. Mrs Grombleton is 1/4 German, so that's my reason for it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What Beckham does with his kids is his business, I've got no opinion on him sticking Argie kits on his children but anyone who says I'm an idiot for insisting that the only club top my boys wear is a Brighton one can, frankly, do one.

My 2 sons became young Brighton fans during the really shit Wilkins, Hinshelwood, Adams mk2 era at Withdean and a major part of making sure that they stayed true to their local club and remained proper fans was buying them Brighton tops and insisting they only wore that footie kit. It went as far as actually demanding of my ex-wife's family that they didn't buy premier league kits because I refused to let my children wear them, even once for appearance's sake. Trust me, sitting in that family stand week in, week out watching dross footie with my 2 wasn't easy and this brainwashing was absolutely necessary.

See all those kids at school in their Man U, Chelsea, Man City tops? See all those Premier League plastic fans we all take the piss out of in the pubs? Their parents didn't care enough about pointing them down the proper path football-wise. Buy your child their local team's kit, take them when you can to matches and the world will be a better place for it.

This, this, this, this, this and this (except mine was mostly too young for withers - took him once in the last season and he did colouring in and got bored).

Here's a story that will gladden your heart. I live near a large recreation ground on the outskirts of town that has, for years, been the Saturday morning training ground to a local kids' football team. When I first moved in we were still mired at Withdean. There were a few Brighton shirts on the kids but also plenty of Chelsea, Liverpool, Man U and Arsenal. Now my son has joined the team. At one training session towards the end of last season there was only ONE kid NOT in a Brighton replica kit. Every other kid was in one of some description. The managers took a picture and sent it to the club.

See, The Amex hasn't just improved pie and beer selection, view of football and comfortableness of padding of seat. It's made people better parents.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
To be fair he may have been given those shorts by the sponsor and is therefore "obliged" contractually to have them photographed?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is a trivial story but the main point is what it says about the lack of world class England players. I'm sure all 3 boys are passionate England fans so the default position is to wear a shirt with one of our top players on it and, given Beckham is ex-Man Utd, you'd think that might be Rooney.

I'm surprised that all three boys favour Messi / Argentina. You'd think there might be one England or Brazil shirt in that selection. Maybe the reason is that Messi is the most popular player with the Miami football public?

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
This, this, this, this, this and this (except mine was mostly too young for withers - took him once in the last season and he did colouring in and got bored).

Here's a story that will gladden your heart. I live near a large recreation ground on the outskirts of town that has, for years, been the Saturday morning training ground to a local kids' football team. When I first moved in we were still mired at Withdean. There were a few Brighton shirts on the kids but also plenty of Chelsea, Liverpool, Man U and Arsenal. Now my son has joined the team. At one training session towards the end of last season there was only ONE kid NOT in a Brighton replica kit. Every other kid was in one of some description. The managers took a picture and sent it to the club.

See, The Amex hasn't just improved pie and beer selection, view of football and comfortableness of padding of seat. It's made people better parents.

I live about 5 miles from Chelsea and the majoprity of the kids footy tops are real Madrid and Barcelona... the odd Chelsea, arse and lpool shirts. Don't see man u surprisingly

Aug 23, 2011
No, but if you are English you don't wear a fecking German shirt.

Why not? I play football with a whole range of nationalities and they don't all wear their own nations shirts. One of the italians often wears a german shirt, and i also have a english friend who was given a german shirt years ago and he wears that from time to time.

Would it be acceptable to wear a shirt of another nation, eg portugal, spain, is it just german you're against?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It is acceptable to wear the shirt of any country that are historical Allies of the English people. If they've fought against us it's generally a no-no.

Aug 23, 2011
It is acceptable to wear the shirt of any country that are historical Allies of the English people. If they've fought against us it's generally a no-no.

What about the French? Allies recently but many wars against them in the past? Italians, allies at the end of war but on the other side at the start? What about the Scandinavian countries, the vikings used to come over regularly back in the day? Is USA ok, think we may have had a bit of a ruckus with them in the past......My point being is there anyone we haven't had a fight with?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What about the French? Allies recently but many wars against them in the past? Italians, allies at the end of war but on the other side at the start? What about the Scandinavian countries, the vikings used to come over regularly back in the day? Is USA ok, think we may have had a bit of a ruckus with them in the past......My point being is there anyone we haven't had a fight with?

1. France = Unacceptable. Allies technically, but they've left us in the shit too many times.
2. Italy = Poser. You'd have gotten away with it 20 years ago, they've played shit football since.
3. Scandinavia = Never seen an English person wearing one. To justify it England would have to be REALLY shit in the first place.
4. USA = Acceptable. Staunch allies, gutsy team, David Beckham, decent top usually.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

I'm not sure if you're being serious or not. But I am struggling to think of a country. Surely people should be able to wear German shirts in honour of the Royal family?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Wear a Germany shirt in the year of the 100th anniversary of WWI - are you serious?!?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Beckham's kids have had a normal upbringing living on an estate in Crawley. They go to the local comp and watch neighbours or whatever it is on telly when they get home.

Mum cooks them sausage and mash on a Tuesday night, and they love going down to Worthing every now and then to go on the pier and play arcade games. When they can, they hang around the local shopping centre with their mates and do a bit of skateboarding. They want Dad to take them to Chelsea, but he's more of an armchair supporter.

What went through their minds and made these non globe trotting kids wear Argentina shirts I have no idea. I mean, after all, it's not as if being brought up in Spain, LA and every now and then the UK isn't normal nowadays.

Perhaps we should hang three effigies from a east London lamp post?

Why has he gone down in your estimation?

Have you got kids?

They tend to choose exactly what they want to wear and if you suggest they don't wear what they want, it makes them want to wear it all the more.

If he had worn an Argentina shirt, fair enough.
:facepalm:

You really don't have a clue,brand Beckham is very careful in all matters and it would have been a company decision:rolleyes:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Perhaps we should hang three effigies from a east London lamp post?

See it's that exactly that weirds me out. I'd agree the kids wouldn't be anywhere near as attached to England as others raised here but still, did he not even say "Look, boys, I know you like Messi and you'd much rather Argentina won than Germany and money is no object when it comes to clothing but Argentina FFS? In 1998 they caused me to have effigies of myself hung from East London lamposts."

Only he'd have said it in that high pitched voice and his grammar wouldn't have been as good.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Why has he gone down in your estimation?

Have you got kids?

They tend to choose exactly what they want to wear and if you suggest they don't wear what they want, it makes them want to wear it all the more.

If he had worn an Argentina shirt, fair enough.

I have kids and I would not buy them Argentina football shirts, I wouldn't care how much they wanted the shirts, I'm lucky as mine support BHA and England.
If they wanted to save up their pocket money and buy another country's shirt that would be their choice, but I would still advise them I didn't think it was a good idea.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here