Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beating Djokovic in straight sets.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
So for those at SW19 (or whatever) and those nationwide do you seriously think that they weren't all the less delighted by the fact that a Scot (a Brit) actually won Wimbledon for the first time in 77 years

Only Tennis fans would be delighted he won. A national poll would suggest not.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Some people need to get over themselves and not believe crap they read in tabloid newspapers.

Murray was brilliant today. In terms of the pressure, the conditions and the quality of the opposition, that was one of the greatest British sporting successes of our lifetimes. So what if he's Scottish? Did that diminish the joy of seeing Sir Chris Hoy or Katherine Grainger winning gold in the last Olympics? Or of Liz McColgan winning gold in the World Athletics Championships in 1991? They are representing the United Kingdom and as such their success is something to warm the hearts of British people.

But even leaving nationality aside for a moment, as sports fans, there was much to admire in Murray's victory today. He beat an opponent who is currently ranked number 1 in the world in straight sets, something which I cannot envisage anyone else doing to him in any meaningful tournament for the rest of this year, and quite possibly next year too.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Regardless if nationality. Fair play to anyone that can blow away a competitor in the line of duty under extreme conditions.
I was fecked just going about my normal day!

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Only Tennis fans would be delighted he won. A national poll would suggest not.

I wouldn't call myself a 'tennis fan,' I watch the grand slams, much the in same way I watch the tour be France or some of the Olympic sports - I always want the Brit to win, whatever the sport.

I guess that makes me a sports fan, rather than a tennis fan.

Murray is an incredible athlete,an I credible Tennis player,m and was a worthy winner, playing against a true champion.

I consider Murray Scottish, and British, in the same way I am English and British.

Just enjoy the day, and the weekend of sport.after all, we could be Australian.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Some people need to get over themselves and not believe crap they read in tabloid newspapers.

Murray was brilliant today. In terms of the pressure, the conditions and the quality of the opposition, that was one of the greatest British sporting successes of our lifetimes. So what if he's Scottish? Did that diminish the joy of seeing Sir Chris Hoy or Katherine Grainger winning gold in the last Olympics? Or of Liz McColgan winning gold in the World Athletics Championships in 1991? They are representing the United Kingdom and as such their success is something to warm the hearts of British people.

But even leaving nationality aside for a moment, as sports fans, there was much to admire in Murray's victory today. He beat an opponent who is currently ranked number 1 in the world in straight sets, something which I cannot envisage anyone else doing to him in any meaningful tournament for the rest of this year, and quite possibly next year too.

^^^^^^^^^

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
I wouldn't call myself a 'tennis fan,' I watch the grand slams, much the in same way I watch the tour be France or some of the Olympic sports - I always want the Brit to win, whatever the sport.

I guess that makes me a sports fan, rather than a tennis fan.

Murray is an incredible athlete,an I credible Tennis player,m and was a worthy winner, playing against a true champion.

I consider Murray Scottish, and British, in the same way I am English and British.

Just enjoy the day, and the weekend of sport.after all, we could be Australian.

Each to their own I suppose. Only the English call themselves British and English. Doubt you'd get the Welsh and Scottish saying their British but that's just the mentality of English people like you. I'm English not British and bet that the majority of Welsh and Scottish feel the same.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Each to their own I suppose. Only the English call themselves British and English. Doubt you'd get the Welsh and Scottish saying their British but that's just the mentality of English people like you.

Do you think Welsh and Scottish people that like rugby thought of the recent British Lions tour 'Hmm, won't bother watching this and supporting the Lions because we don't feel British'? Hmm, me neither.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Each to their own I suppose. Only the English call themselves British and English. Doubt you'd get the Welsh and Scottish saying their British but that's just the mentality of English people like you. I'm English not British and bet that the majority of Welsh and Scottish feel the same.

I used to think it was the Scots that had the biggest chips on their shoulders. Turns out I was way off.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Chill

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Do you think Welsh and Scottish people that like rugby thought of the recent British Lions tour 'Hmm, won't bother watching this and supporting the Lions because we don't feel British'? Hmm, me neither.

No I didn't watch it as it's the British Lions. I only read the reports and interviews afterwards as it was on sky sports news. I only watch England internationals.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

popular votes on the subject would tell us you are talking bollocks.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Andy Murray has donated his £1.6m winnings to the cancer research & care at Royal Marsden Hospital. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here