Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Be careful what you wish for

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I don't think it's just the big moments you have to focus on when appraising Gus, or the overall transformation in our team between 2009 and 2013. I think it's simple things like discipline, organisation, tight defending, only seven home defeats in two years and a cohesive style of play that you can kiss goodbye to now. We've got used to expecting a certain standard from the Albion. Okay, that standard wasn't always enough to win and it collapsed on May 13th, but looking at the last year or two at the very least you have to say we were very competitive and hard to beat, home and away against almost any opposition. Our football, even when it's not effective, is of such a high quality and even on a bad day we still stand above any other Championship team technically. That wasn't an accident, that was because we had a good - albeit extremely frustrating - manager. We are rolling the dice now and it's a total gamble. Who's to say we won't concede 70 goals next season or lose 20 matches?

And who's to say we won't win the league?

Aug 23, 2011
Yes, SCR is dead! Shows how much I pay attention to local radio. BBC Sussex, I meant.

You should ask yourself why your friends/you are now resigned to Gus leaving. Is it because you realise him staying, given his obvious desire to work elsewhere, (and many other reasons, but I don't want to repeat arguments,) is just not an option? Regardless of how good a manager he is, he just would not be motivated to succeed, and would be off as soon as he got the chance. To repeat, the majority want him out, and want him out now.

The reason people are resigned to him leaving is his position is probably untenable due to what's occurred not because of him jumping ship. If the boss doesn't want you then you're not going to get very far. If he wasn't motivated to succeed then a lack of good results would not give him the opportunities to get better jobs. Judging by the number of people debating on here I'm not even sure there's a majority on here that want him gone, one poll in the last week had it pretty 50-50.

Aug 23, 2011
WTF, so as someone who used to on the whole complain about where we were at under the old regime is now slaggin off where we might be under new stewardship. You utter bell.

Is TCB not allowed to change his view? Sometimes hindsight is a powerful thing

P.s. Can you respond to any post without resorting to abuse? Every post I've seen you reply to recently has had some name calling.

Aug 23, 2011
You should go and lie down now. So you think that there is a risk of going down with our current squad?

It is possible in football. Did you not see how wolves and Blackburn struggled this year. What if the players feel let down by gus leaving? What if some of the players were "over performing" under gus? As TCB said there's only a few points between playoffs and relegation. No one is too good to go down and if you start with that sort if complacent attitude then you have a lot to learn

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The reason people are resigned to him leaving is his position is probably untenable due to what's occurred not because of him jumping ship. If the boss doesn't want you then you're not going to get very far. If he wasn't motivated to succeed then a lack of good results would not give him the opportunities to get better jobs. Judging by the number of people debating on here I'm not even sure there's a majority on here that want him gone, one poll in the last week had it pretty 50-50.

The boss got fed up with his antics. Embarrassing the club with his un-necessary comments on Suarez, his comments about wanting to manage other clubs, including leeds where he only spent just over one year. Leeds! A club with history but doing nothing for the last 10 years. As for Chelsea, why couldn't he just keep his own council on other jobs, like Zola has done. Stop answering the questions and the questions will eventually stop being asked. Stop bleating on about the budget when you know we will have our hands tied by FFP. You can't complain when you have spent a fortune on the likes of CMS, Dobbie, and to a lesser extent Harley. You help bring in a star player and then rarely play him. Whether the truth will come out about his fitness, we'll have to wait and see but if you were the one footing the bill you'd be a bit peeved at not seeing a return on all that outlay.

It is possible in football. Did you not see how wolves and Blackburn struggled this year. What if the players feel let down by gus leaving? What if some of the players were "over performing" under gus? As TCB said there's only a few points between playoffs and relegation. No one is too good to go down and if you start with that sort if complacent attitude then you have a lot to learn

Pathetic to quote two teams that have been in the doldrums for years, hardly a comparison. As for players, if they can 'over perform' for Poyet then they can do the same for the next manager. Without wishing to be condescending in respect of your age, I think you will find that players are more professional than that. They are fighting for their livelihoods and the phrase ' the king is dead, long live the king' are never more apt than in football.

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
Like most on here, I think Poyet leaving is inevitable.
Unlike some on here, I'm not so confident that his loss will automatically lead us into a better world.

Yes, we might be lucky and end up with the new Sir Alex, but we could equally be unlucky and end up with a complete tosser.
It's a gamble that doesn't thrill me, and if Tony kissed and made up with Gus I would not be unhappy.

Some on here want to re-write history just because Gus was stupid enough to go public with his ambitions.
We haven't had a single bad season under Gus, people are conveniently ignoring that, and instead focusing on Gus failing to declare his undying love for the club ... and because of that he's a bad manager?

It's just a job to him.

David Moyes is not suddenly a United fan ... it's his new job.
Pep Guardiola is not going to re-name his kids Franz or Gert ... it is just a job to him.
It's just going to be a job to whoever replaces Gus too, live with it.

Gus was stupid to go public with his thoughts, but at no point did he declare that he hates BHA and all associated with it, I don't quite understand the vitriol towards him.

If we want a Manager who feels the same way about the club as we all do ... we've got a fecking long wait.

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
Oops, post duplicated!

Last edited:

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
For better or worse Gus has gone, the king is dead, long live the king. What's changed? The Albion are on their 15th manager or so since I was a kid, I'm on my first club in 37 years. Roll on August 3rd :)

Aug 23, 2011
What if they are pleased Poyet is leaving, What if some were under performing under Gus? What if What if? Completely hypothetical nonsense. Congratulations for getting sucked in.

I haven't been sucked in, I was just putting forward alternative scenarios, I'm not saying I believe them, chill out a little.

Aug 23, 2011
Pathetic to quote two teams that have been in the doldrums for years, hardly a comparison. As for players, if they can 'over perform' for Poyet then they can do the same for the next manager. Without wishing to be condescending in respect of your age, I think you will find that players are more professional than that. They are fighting for their livelihoods and the phrase ' the king is dead, long live the king' are never more apt than in football.

I wasn't being entirely serious with my post, and I wasn't suggesting the players weren't professional but certain managers can get more out of some than others eg moyes is very good at it as players never seem to play as well after they've left Everton.

Aug 23, 2011
Unlike some on here, I'm not so confident that his loss will automatically lead us into a better world.

Yes, we might be lucky and end up with the new Sir Alex, but we could equally be unlucky and end up with a complete tosser.
It's a gamble that doesn't thrill me, and if Tony kissed and made up with Gus I would not be unhappy.

Some on here want to re-write history just because Gus was stupid enough to go public with his ambitions.
We haven't had a single bad season under Gus, people are conveniently ignoring that, and instead focusing on Gus failing to declare his undying love for the club ... and because of that he's a bad manager?

It's just a job to him.

Pep Guardiola is not going to re-name his kids Franz or Gert ... it is just a job to him.

Gus was stupid to go public with his thoughts, but at no point did he declare that he hates BHA and all associated with it, I don't quite understand the vitriol towards him.

If we want a Manager who feels the same way about the club as we all do ... we've got a fecking long wait.

Careful sensible posts aren't allowed here :smile:

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Consider where we were the month before Gus joined us, and then look at where we are now.
Do you honestly think Gus did not play a major part in getting us where we are?

Losing Gus might not be the utopia that many of you seem to think ........

I think nobody can disagree with how well Gus did for the club and how he took us to the next level and well done to him for this. I am not a fan of his personally and I think he hit the nail on the head when he talked about the ceiling or whatever it was. The reason being is not totally financial but to do with his stubbornness to play 1 upfront and even so obsessed with it that he consistently played players out of position to facilitate this obsession. At least a new manager will come in with fresh ideas and hopefully be more flexible with the strong squad we have. He MIGHT even play with 2 strikers, play Barnes as a striker , make some substitutions that arnt reactive, get the best out of our record signing CMS! Anyways I do not know it all but I feel this change is good for everyone concerned. I wish Gus well, a great character that raised our profile as a football club but In the end he just go to big for his boots IMHO. I bet he wishes he had taken the offer at Reading now sounds like this might have been the best option for us all.

Last edited:

Smile

Aug 19, 2011
Yes, SCR is dead! Shows how much I pay attention to local radio. BBC Sussex, I meant.

You should ask yourself why your friends/you are now resigned to Gus leaving. Is it because you realise him staying, given his obvious desire to work elsewhere, (and many other reasons, but I don't want to repeat arguments,) is just not an option? Regardless of how good a manager he is, he just would not be motivated to succeed, and would be off as soon as he got the chance. To repeat, the majority want him out, and want him out now.

I am only resigned to Gus leaving because the club want him gone (as cheaply as possible). Does that mean I wanted him gone before he was suspended? No I didn't and you know that the vast majority did not want him gone at that point. (even a week ago it was 50 - 50 as mentioned before) However he was suspended and as each week passed people have got more and more fed up with the situation and even without the facts of what he did to get suspended it is human nature to want to move on and the only way is for Gus to go. So I think you are right we should all ask ourselves why we want him gone, is it really for the reasons you believe...

Anyway he is going and hopefully it is Oscar coming in, but if its not Oscar...oh dear

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

It's just a job to him.

I'm not sure anyone is disputing the success over the last 3 1/2 years but what is disputed is the assertion by quite a few Poyet fanatics that the success was all down to him.

Also, it is disengenuos to write that many think his departure will automatically see success as I havent really seen many, if any, posts that are that certain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here