Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Be careful what you wish for

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
As far as I'm concerned Gus won Division one. I had a better time in Cardiff beating Bristol City in the play off final under Mark Mcgee. That day will always live with me more than Gus winning division one.

Aug 23, 2011
As far as I'm concerned Gus won Division one. I had a better time in Cardiff beating Bristol City in the play off final under Mark Mcgee. That day will always live with me more than Gus winning division one.

That match was dire, you must have been drinking a lot. Yes the atmosphere was good and the result but the game was poor. Without the win it would have been dreary. Surely a whole season of good games is better than one day out.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
That match was dire, you must have been drinking a lot. Yes the atmosphere was good and the result but the game was poor. Without the win it would have been dreary. Surely a whole season of good games is better than one day out.

It wasn't about the game itself, it was the build up. 50 Albion fans slept on the pavement outside Bristol central train station. The atmosphere before during and after the game. The weekend was bloody brilliant.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Regardless of what Gus does next in his career I'll always have more warmth for Mark McGhee. Surviving a season in the Championship whilst at Withdean was one hell of an achievement. There was a man with some dignity.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Consider where we were the month before Gus joined us, and then look at where we are now.
Do you honestly think Gus did not play a major part in getting us where we are?

Losing Gus might not be the utopia that many of you seem to think ........

I'll only start to worry when we lose Bloom's investment. The manager was given access to funds like no other Albion manager in recent history. Who's to say another non-Brit-dinosaur manager wouldn't have done as well, if not better, and in a more dignified manner? He's not all that. IMHO, like.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Consider where we were the month before Gus joined us, and then look at where we are now.

Used to love Gus but bollox to him now, thinks he's bigger than the club.

I meant most of the fans seem to think he is the bad guy. Had we won the playoff final, even she semi, then I reckon all the people wanting Gus gone now would be 100% behind him.

It's not about winning or losing the Palace semi for me,it's about His constant Brassing himself off for every job coming along,it's about His disgraceful interview after the palace game,constantly whining about the budget and ****ing ceilings and all sorts of other bullshit.
The man has absolutely no respect for our football club.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
what majority of the 30,000 do you think he has lost then???????????

Majority = anything over 15,000 out of 30,000 (latter being your figure). I would estimate around 70% want him out now.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I wouldn't have thought he's lost even half the fans. NSC is a minority with a lot of knee jerk reactionaries.

Read the Argus comments. Listen to SCR (including its straw poll). That's the best evidence we have unless someone runs a targeted survey. There is nothing that indicates otherwise, including NSC.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Crazy as this may seem, but did this massive falling out happen well before the play-off games? And, do you honestly think had we won the play-off final that it would have been kiss and make up?
This. If I had invested £130 million in a project, and given someone a great opportunity to make a name for themselves I would have been mightily upset with them if they started touting themselves, in public, for other jobs. Now, TB is no mug , and all the time that things were heading in the right direction I am sure he was willing to put up with the tantrums et al and I just imagine that the post Palace interview was the straw that broke the camels back. Gives us the summer to sort it out and come back stronger rather than disrupting a campaign that may have led us to the premiership. Just my opinion, like.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

"One day out..." ?

I,ve been watching the Albion for 49 years.......and the stand out "one day outs" for me have been the 1983/84 FA Cup Final, the Newcastle away game securing top flight football and the League 1 play-off final at the Millenium Stadium. The rest pale into insignificance in comparison ( missed the Hereford game).

Our performance in the 2nd Palace play-off game was an utter embarrassment. You can keep your "whole season of good games" when the end result was sweet FA.

Aug 23, 2011
Read the Argus comments. Listen to SCR (including its straw poll). That's the best evidence we have unless someone runs a targeted survey. There is nothing that indicates otherwise, including NSC.

SCR? Isn't that defunct? In all things it's mostly people who have things to complain about who comment on things. No-one I've spoken to wanted him gone although many are now resigned to the situation.

Aug 23, 2011
"One day out..." ?

I,ve been watching the Albion for 49 years.......and the stand out "one day outs" for me have been the 1983/84 FA Cup Final, the Newcastle away game securing top flight football and the League 1 play-off final at the Millenium Stadium. The rest pale into insignificance in comparison ( missed the Hereford game).

Our performance in the 2nd Palace play-off game was an utter embarrassment. You can keep your "whole season of good games" when the end result was sweet FA.

Im afraid ive only got an insignificant 16 years. My point was that the match was pretty dull and if the result had gone the other way how many people would have enjoyed as much as they did. Don't get me wrong i had a great day out however one swallow doesn't make a summer.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Be careful what you wish for

Too right. I wished that I had a cock that reached the floor...then both my legs fell off.

Boom tish.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

Poyet was gone by Xmas next season whether we'd sacked him or he'd got another job. Probably even in the latter scenario by the start of next season if hed kept his massive gob shut. TIME TO MOVE ON!!!!

Last edited:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I don't think it's just the big moments you have to focus on when appraising Gus, or the overall transformation in our team between 2009 and 2013. I think it's simple things like discipline, organisation, tight defending, only seven home defeats in two years and a cohesive style of play that you can kiss goodbye to now. We've got used to expecting a certain standard from the Albion. Okay, that standard wasn't always enough to win and it collapsed on May 13th, but looking at the last year or two at the very least you have to say we were very competitive and hard to beat, home and away against almost any opposition. Our football, even when it's not effective, is of such a high quality and even on a bad day we still stand above any other Championship team technically. That wasn't an accident, that was because we had a good - albeit extremely frustrating - manager. We are rolling the dice now and it's a total gamble. Who's to say we won't concede 70 goals next season or lose 20 matches?

WTF, so as someone who used to on the whole complain about where we were at under the old regime is now slaggin off where we might be under new stewardship. You utter bell.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
SCR? Isn't that defunct? In all things it's mostly people who have things to complain about who comment on things. No-one I've spoken to wanted him gone although many are now resigned to the situation.

Yes, SCR is dead! Shows how much I pay attention to local radio. BBC Sussex, I meant.

You should ask yourself why your friends/you are now resigned to Gus leaving. Is it because you realise him staying, given his obvious desire to work elsewhere, (and many other reasons, but I don't want to repeat arguments,) is just not an option? Regardless of how good a manager he is, he just would not be motivated to succeed, and would be off as soon as he got the chance. To repeat, the majority want him out, and want him out now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here