Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] BBC1 Moved on Sky

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
I can't tell the difference. A thread a year or so ago, said pretty much the same thing from various posters. Their wives couldn't see any difference.
It’s a frequent conversation in our house! My wife will be watching something and I’ll look at up the TV and notice straight away and say, “you’re watching this in standard definition again aren’t you?”!!

I switch to the HD version … “oh, that’s better” she says 🙄😂

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
My missus is also completely immune with regard to SD and HD / UHD. When I flick between them to show her the difference she just rolls her eyes. I am something of a nerd though.

Since Sky brought in UHD to their coverage, does anyone else think they've made HD just a little bit shittier ? Or is UHD just so bloody good it makes it look that much worse ? I can't decide.
On Virgin Media BT Sports UHD makes Sky Sports HD look pretty average!!

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
My missus is also completely immune with regard to SD and HD / UHD. When I flick between them to show her the difference she just rolls her eyes. I am something of a nerd though.

Since Sky brought in UHD to their coverage, does anyone else think they've made HD just a little bit shittier ? Or is UHD just so bloody good it makes it look that much worse ? I can't decide.
Rolling eyes suggests she’s not taking the experiment seriously, it’s the last thing she should be doing in such circumstances

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I can see the difference but it depends on what I’m watching whether I care or not. I have no desire to see every wrinkle and nose hair on Huw Edwards on the news, for example.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
The original reason BBC1 south east was only in SD was cost. Paying to broadcast in HD costs more than in SD. So there was one generic BBC1 HD (Sky 115) but the individual local channels were all in SD (Sky 101). By putting in the postcode of your Sky box it automaticaly tuned your local station to 101. If you so desired every local station can be watched from 951 upwards.
Meanwhile I'm old enough to remember 405 lines. Worked for a company called Southern Rentals in Church St, Burgess Hill, back in 1975ish where you could rent a black & white TV for £2.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Totally agree with you HD does look a bit shittier and I’m sure it’s at Skys doing.

Whenever my Mum comes over to look after the kids she does the same roll of the eyes when my boys insist we put the UHD channels on for football, although she’s finally admitted she can see a difference.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
The latter would be my guess, just the same as you see when switching from HD to SD.

On Virgin Media BT Sports UHD makes Sky Sports HD look pretty average!!

Hardly surprising as UHD is much better than HD on any platform.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
The latter would be my guess, just the same as you see when switching from HD to SD.

Hardly surprising as UHD is much better than HD on any platform.
Yep … I get that … but Sky HD has been pretty poor for HD on Virgin Media. When football is on BBC and ITV the HD quality is better than Sky Sports 👍

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Totally agree with you HD does look a bit shittier and I’m sure it’s at Skys doing.

Whenever my Mum comes over to look after the kids she does the same roll of the eyes when my boys insist we put the UHD channels on for football, although she’s finally admitted she can see a difference.
Thats what I suspect. Giving everyone a subtle nudge to upgrade their Sky box maybe (do the old HD boxes do UHD ?). I upgraded to Sky Q not that long ago. So glad I swerved Sky Glass, that sounds like an absolute shitshow.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Thats what I suspect. Giving everyone a subtle nudge to upgrade their Sky box maybe (do the old HD boxes do UHD ?). I upgraded to Sky Q not that long ago. So glad I swerved Sky Glass, that sounds like an absolute shitshow.
You need Sky Q or Glass for UHD. I’ve avoided Glass too as it looks shit from a picture quality point of view whenever I’ve seen it demo’d. I also want the freedom to choose my own TV, and I’m very happy with my 18 month old LG oled screen anyway.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
as a female I prefer the HD channels, sorry to upset the stereo types. Talking of stereo, I am incredibly fussy when it comes to audio, not like some @resole audiophile but when my daughter is listening to her music through the speaker on her phone rather then connecting it to the very nice Bluetooth enable active speakers that I bought her does it does my nut in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here