Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] BBC1 Moved on Sky

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
It’s also gone fully regional, you never used to get local news on BBC HD.

Very annoying that all the series links have gone missing tho. Only noticed when The Apprentice failed to record.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Always thought it was strange they didn't just have 101 in HD anyway...and always annoyed me that the missus watched MoTD, DiP etc. on 101, and I had to remind her about 115 in HD.
"Oh yeah, thats better...." was the reply - every. single. time :lolol:
Think it was related to regional studios not being set up for HD but has now been upgraded

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I know, started another thread. But this is important.
BBC1 has gone HD on Sky channel 101 and closed down 115. On my box all BBC1 HD shows have stopped recording and I've had to reset them. In particular MotD, Death in Paradise & Eastenders.
Worth taking a look to check your setup.
So what happens to the local news that was broadcast in 425 lines on 101?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Always thought it was strange they didn't just have 101 in HD anyway...and always annoyed me that the missus watched MoTD, DiP etc. on 101, and I had to remind her about 115 in HD.
Mrs T swears she can't tell the difference between HD and the blurry shite. To me non-HD is like watching telly with a clear polythene bag over my head.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Just looked at my Sky on screen TV Guide. Channel 101 is now BBC 1 SE HD , I see that South Today is still on that .
I have to go to channel 801 for BBC 1 in standard definition.I also have in SD
802 BBC 2, 803 ITV, 804 Channel 4, 805 Channel 5 .
Since I record in sd to save space on the box , I may need to reset some that are scheduled.
On my small tv it makes no difference and my eyes are not that good these days to see any problem.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Mrs T swears she can't tell the difference between HD and the blurry shite. To me non-HD is like watching telly with a clear polythene bag over my head.
I can't tell the difference. A thread a year or so ago, said pretty much the same thing from various posters. Their wives couldn't see any difference.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Even with my poor eyesight, there is a HUGE difference between the two. You try watching football on 101 non HD and the clarity is just awful!
Try watching football in 4K HDR and then going back to ITV4's 480p non HD broadcast.

What used to be the best on offer is now a greyish blur.

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
And to think that those not coming on Tuesday will have to endure ITV4 SD if you're on Freeview, only HD on Freesat.
It will be in HD on ITV X - but in my experience the delay on the stream could be anything up to 5 minutes. Not too much of a problem as long as you avoid all interaction with your phone or any other internet capable device for the duration!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It’s also gone fully regional, you never used to get local news on BBC HD.

Very annoying that all the series links have gone missing tho. Only noticed when The Apprentice failed to record.

Having had to deal with getting series links to work (on the back-end) in the past, it's sometimes a miracle they work in the first place.

Particularly over "long running series" like soaps.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I'm amazed she noticed an improvement. All the females in my family claim to not notice any difference between the two. It's inexplicable to me.

Edit: haha just seen @Thunder Bolt reply.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My missus is also completely immune with regard to SD and HD / UHD. When I flick between them to show her the difference she just rolls her eyes. I am something of a nerd though.

Since Sky brought in UHD to their coverage, does anyone else think they've made HD just a little bit shittier ? Or is UHD just so bloody good it makes it look that much worse ? I can't decide.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here