Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] BBC Meat - A threat to our planet?

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Simple answer is yes. My youngest is driving down our red meat consumption but we still eat it but a lot less than a year ago. Quorm will play a bigger role over the coming years. It's better for the planet and better for your health.
I see, so you would shift to actively support the soy industry currently the major contributor to deforestation in the Amazon basin..... ??... odd way to save the planet.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Nah, just stop breeding them, eat what’s left, stop eating them.

I don't get this argument at all.

I understand that at the moment we are over breeding them and on unsuitable land in some parts of the world. I know how much methane a cow produces. But anyone who's been to India, where killing cows is an absolute no-no, will understand you cannot stop breeding them, you can just stop looking after them. If there are cows wandering wild in Delhi and Chennai and Mumbai so there will be in Norwich and Manchester in your scenario.

You are also advocating mass veganism. At least you are, unless what you are saying is that we'll stop breeding all domestic animals apart from those that make milk and cheese. That's goats and sheep as well as cows. And this is a typical 2010s overreaction, as if vegetarians are somehow now not radical enough instead of being the people who have probably led the world down the path of more ethical eating.

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall has it about right. There is a symbiotic relationship between the domestic farm animal and man that cannot just be undone. They are now part of the eco-system. What we owe them is to look after them better. Meat needs to be better quality, better looked after. The supply needs to come down, not stop all together. We owe it to these animals to only eat free range chicken, outdoor reared pork etc. To eat less meat on fewer days of the week. To put pressure on foreign governments not to turn land over to McDonalds and battery farms. We can improve the planet, keep our farm animals (in much better conditions) and keep a balanced diet (humans are meant to eat meat, and don't even start me on the idiots who have vegan cats and dogs). But it's not all or nothing, there's a balance we need to redress.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I see, so you would shift to actively support the soy industry currently the major contributor to deforestation in the Amazon basin..... ??... odd way to save the planet.

Oh yeah, this as well. If you're vegan but eating soy and anything containing palm oil you're just as bad.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Oh yeah, this as well. If you're vegan but eating soy and anything containing palm oil you're just as bad.
Meat reared on soy, is a lot more impactful, than soy eaten directly, surely.

I have Venison burgers lined up for tonight. I would venture they could beat those highly processed bleeding vegan burgers on the majority of environmental impact factors.

This though is not something to gloat over. Eating local deer is sustainable as long as we all don't try and do it.

Different things work for different people. My meat consumption is generally reducing, based on lots of interesting and varied new recipes (a nice nudge).

Some of the meat is murder strident messaging is actually counter productive. If it persuades people to stop eating meat, okay. However many people just bury their heads in the sand and refuse to acknowledge what they are eating. These are the ones who are eating highly processed farmed meat and only certain parts of animals.

The prospect of living on Quorn Bolognese, fundamentally makes me question what is the point of living, food is far too important to be reduced to basic consumption.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Problem is a lot of our stock is being fed with soya grown on former rain forest.

VAT on all meat would be a good start to curb consumption. Meat is too cheap now

you're welcome to eat lots of soya for your protein as an alternative. though if you dig into the subject, feed here isnt containing much soya. ironic really, the meat substitutes probably have more impact on rain forests than local meat.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I have Venison burgers lined up for tonight. I would venture they could beat those highly processed bleeding vegan burgers on the majority of environmental impact factors.

Indeed. Something I thought of after my initial posts is that anyone eating game and sustainable fish right now is simply a natural part of the circle of life. It's mass (cheap) production of meat that is the problem as you say.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Indeed. Something I thought of after my initial posts is that anyone eating game and sustainable fish right now is simply a natural part of the circle of life. It's mass (cheap) production of meat that is the problem as you say.
So if everyone ate local game meat... then it would no longer be local, it would be intensively farmed.. .. back to square one.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Anyone watch the Netflix doc. The Game Changers? Brings up some good points from a sports/performance point of view. Doesn't go too much into the environmental impact. Over a few years we've cut back on our meat intake, but we buy (we hope) decent quality meat from a local farmer in the hope it's not been waterboarded in a cage or fed off GM crap.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Meat reared on soy, is a lot more impactful, than soy eaten directly, surely.

This though is not something to gloat over. Eating local deer is sustainable as long as we all don't try and do it.

Different things work for different people. My meat consumption is generally reducing, based on lots of interesting and varied new recipes (a nice nudge).

Some of the meat is murder strident messaging is actually counter productive. If it persuades people to stop eating meat, okay. However many people just bury their heads in the sand and refuse to acknowledge what they are eating. These are the ones who are eating highly processed farmed meat and only certain parts of animals.

The prospect of living on Quorn Bolognese, fundamentally makes me question what is the point of living, food is far too important to be reduced to basic consumption.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I've been making quorn spag boll the past couple of years, if you make the sauce tasty you cant tell the difference , same with quorn chicking in currys / fajitas

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Myself and Mrs Loz decided a couple of years ago to treat meat as an expensive treat, So we only buy organic meat from local producers. Luckily here where we live we have 3 very good organic farms. So we do eat meat but because its quite expensive probably only twice a week. But it gives us a nice warm feeling of doing some good :)

( Not only that I had to do a job in a slaughter house removing pumps...to see the look on pigs faces as they knew what was going to happen, they were shaking and wetting themselves in the shear fear of the up coming death, they have a very acute sense of smell and the smell of death was everywhere ...that put me off the mass slaughter house type cheap meat TBH!)

Southpaw

Nov 19, 2019
So bored with this whole don't eat meat argument which seems to have really gathered pace in the last couple of years.I am a meat eater and those trying to tell me to do otherwise can f off.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I've been making quorn spag boll the past couple of years, if you make the sauce tasty you cant tell the difference , same with quorn chicking in currys / fajitas

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Good on you for cutting down on meat but there's no way your Quorn spag bol tastes as good as my meat.

My well-made meat ragu I mean.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
BBC meat? Wasn't it The Two Ronnies or Morecambe and Wise who used to do jokes about the BBC canteen? What goes around, comes around.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Smaller amounts of higher quality meat is the way forward. Happy to pay more. But the government needs to apply much stricter standards on animal welfare and we should only be importing from countries which meet those standards

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Smaller amounts of higher quality meat is the way forward. Happy to pay more. But the government needs to apply much stricter standards on animal welfare and we should only be importing from countries which meet those standards

Agree, or try and buy local where you have a better idea as to how and where it was reared. Some of the local lamb and Pork I've had recently has been fantastic, a deliciously good investment.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Less meat, yes - no question. No meat - why?

Personally I eat very little meat these days. Not because of morale really, but because the industry is just disgusting. The thought of eating something that has spent its life in a small cage sick from stress, not rarely broken, beaten or kicked and living in its own shit and blood... no thank you. I'll have a falafel.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here