Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC iPlayer Recommendations?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Excellent news, Strike series five – subtitled Troubled Blood – is a four-part series and sees Tom Burke return as Cormoran Strike and Holliday Grainger as Robin.

Sun 11 / Mon 12 Dec

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Started rewatching Rev, and mighty fine it is too.

Particularly enjoyed Colin coming in from the rain:-

"Cor vicarage it's shitting kittens out there".

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
A reminder, a new series of Beck is on BBC4 at 9.
Swedish crime drama fans are getting a Christmas Day treat this year – a brand new Beck film will premiere on 25th December itself on C More.

The Death Trap tells the story of Vilhelm Beck – Martin’s grandson – a police officer and on his first internship in the real world.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
There's a documentary on iplayer with previously unseen footage of the scramble to get out of Kabul when the Taliban arrived. Brilliant but utterly harrowing and distressing viewing. Not for the faint hearted.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Up to Episode 3 of Sherwood. Really really good.
Love BBC iplayer. Working away, I know that the downloads aren't going to disappear before I reach the end of a series, as is the case with Netflix, Amazon Prime & Apple+. Does your head in when you actually pay for those. (Used to).

getz

Jan 15, 2010
Just been watching "Us" an adaption of the David Nicholls book. Excellent performance by Tom Holland er and a cameo by the delicious Sofie Grabol.. All about a marriage in crisis.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Excellent news, Strike series five – subtitled Troubled Blood – is a four-part series and sees Tom Burke return as Cormoran Strike and Holliday Grainger as Robin.

Sun 11 / Mon 12 Dec
Been excellent, the 'will they/won't they?' continues and a decent plot.

Certainly sets up S6.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Started watching The Gold on iPlayer, about the £27m gold bullion raid from the Brinks-Mat guarded compound at Heathrow in 1983. I'm a sucker for anything 80s and this has really captured the "look" of the time. Only 1 episode in but its really decent so far. Strong characters, well scripted.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Started watching The Gold on iPlayer, about the £27m gold bullion raid from the Brinks-Mat guarded compound at Heathrow in 1983. I'm a sucker for anything 80s and this has really captured the "look" of the time. Only 1 episode in but its really decent so far. Strong characters, well scripted.
Watched last episode (6) last night, really good watch.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I see that Cow is now on iplayer. Here's some of the quotes on it from the film 2022 thread.

Just looking at the options at the pictures this afternoon and watched the trailer for COW.

Is this a joke? I can't believe what I just saw and reading the blurb I am none the wiser.

93 minutes of a cow.

I've watched some sh1t for 93 minutes in the past, but this is unbelievable.

Has anyone seen it? Why?

(image shows a 90% tomatometer rating)

I have not seen it but my understanding is as to why ? To highlight the pretty sh*t life of a milking Cow, surely ?

Not a chance. I listened to Mark Kermode's review of it, and that was enough for me to give up buying milk altogether (I've since discovered that oat milk is far superior, really really tasty).

And my comments after seeing it:

So I just watched it on Mubi. It's something. As to what is the point - the given explanation is "This film is an endeavour to consider cows. To move us closer to them. To see both their beauty and the challenge of their lives. Not in a romantic way but in a real way. It's a film about one dairy cow's reality and acknowledging her great service to us.", but essentially it is much like any other nature documentary. What is the point in any of them? It is a largely observational thing. Show the realities or something, show something in it's natural habitat, inform, educate etc.

There's no narration explaining why they do what they do to the cows, you can hear some conversation between the farmers and the vet. It follows 2 cows; one a new born, showing the things it goes through (separation from mother, tagging, horns burned so they don't grow) etc. and a older cow (getting treatment for various issues, and so on). Surprisingly interesting.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
I see that Cow is now on iplayer. Here's some of the quotes on it from the film 2022 thread.

(image shows a 90% tomatometer rating)

And my comments after seeing it:
I'm not at all one for slating/praising a film if I haven't seen it, but I can't even watch those uplifting videos online about rescue dogs, what they've been through and how immeasurably better their lives are now. She's a superb film-maker (Fishtank, anyone?) and I'm sure it is interesting but not for me :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here