Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC iPlayer Recommendations?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Coming your way 15th/16th June.

Inspired in part by real events and set in the Nottinghamshire mining village where Graham grew up, at the heart of Sherwood lie two shocking and unexpected killings that shatter an already fractured community and spark a massive manhunt.

Alongside David Morrissey is a stellar ensemble that comprises Joanne Froggatt, Robert Glenister, Alun Armstrong, Lesley Manville, Adeel Akhtar, Claire Rushbrook, Kevin Doyle, Lorraine Ashbourne, Phillip Jackson, Perry Fitzpatrick, Adam Hugill and Stephen Tompkinson.

Top, top cast, and story/moment to televise. We're about half-way through, but really struggling with the archer riding around a relatively small forest on his bike while several platoons search said forest -- that might not be one of the real events (we can but hope).

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet.

Ralph & Katie.

It's a spin off from the excellent drama series - The A Word. That came out a couple of years ago but it's still available on BBC iPlayer.

Ralph especially, was a great character in the A Word and so I can see why they'd devote a whole series to him and the storyline around him. Double bonus that we get to see much more of the Katie character too. I've only just discovered it and so only watched the first episode, but I'll certainly be watching them all.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just watched this on bbc2, it will shirley be on iplayer.

Stanley Tucci - Searching For Italy. A show on Italian gastronomy, its regions and culture. Fantastic.

This passed me by the first time, there was a series in 2021 and another earlier this year.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
The Fire Within: A Requiem For Mafia and Maurice Kraft.

Werner Herzog documentary. 80 minutes of footage shot by the Krafts of volcanoes.

Under Storyville.

Jolly good.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Omen is in 'Films'.

It might not be as good as you think it was.
But it's considerably better than what you think it's going to be.

#AgedWell (enough)

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
For fans of the brilliant Ben Macintyre series, this looks good.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08f00r9

Terrific news, in conjunction with the series starting tonight, the excellent Ben MacIntyre doc reappears on BBC 4 this evening.
Screenshot_20221030-121600~2.png

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not seen a thing at all about it on here, and scarcely anything anywhere else either, but 'The Lovebox In Your Living Room', the Harry Enfield / Paul Whitehouse telling of the evolution of the BBC over the past century is as surreal as it is masterfully funny! More than a few sly home truths included in there also :lolol: :bowdown:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I recommend Blackadder. I’ve watched them all so many times and they still never fail to get a laugh. I tend to skip the first series though.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Not seen a thing at all about it on here, and scarcely anything anywhere else either, but 'The Lovebox In Your Living Room', the Harry Enfield / Paul Whitehouse telling of the evolution of the BBC over the past century is as surreal as it is masterfully funny! More than a few sly home truths included in there also :lolol: :bowdown:
It's utterly brilliant, but you've missed the key bit of information: it's a spoof of an Adam Curtis doc

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just watched this tonight, clever, funny and poignant...just remember that we are on the cusp of losing it.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Just been watching the Detectorists. Absolutely brilliant, a reminder that nobody touches the BBC when it comes to producing shows like these.
Toby Jones, MacKenzie Crook, Rachel Sterling and her Mum the late, great Dianna Rigg were all pitch perfect.
Great show about weirdos, eccentrics, losers and misfits - all had a story to tell and all were characters you actually cared about.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Finished the SAS thing off. Quite enjoyable although I found both the book and the 3 part documentary considerably more engrossing.

A bit on Stirling's spell in Colditz would have been nice, which prompted me to start the new MacIntyre tome. Great so far.

colditz-8.jpg

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Regarding SAS, the Peaky Blinders connection is both a blessing and a hinderance.

Peaky had Murphy to hold the camera with enormous screen presence. This somehow lacks it, whereas the documentary does, with the powerful interviews of big characters such as Stirling, Seekings, Cooper Riley et al. The strength of character, camaraderie, creative cunning and courage of these men does not come through in the drama but is only too clear in the 1987 interviews.

I enjoyed both, but the documentary and book offer a lot more.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Great documentary on BBC2, The Hacienda, The Club That Shook Britain, goes right through the whole history, New Order, Mondays, Madonna, then of course the House scene in the 80s, really good watch

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
The BBC has announced a new, four-part crime drama based on real-life events.

Filming has begun on Steeltown Murders, is written by Manhunt’s Ed Whitmore and will air in 2023.

Set in both 1973 and the early 2000s, the story centres on the hunt to catch the killer of three young women in the Port Talbot area and the remarkable story of how – in the first case of its kind – the mystery was solved almost 30 years later using pioneering DNA evidence.

And it boasts a very good cast: Philip Glenister and Steffan Rhodri lead the cast as DCI Paul Bethell and Phil ‘Bach’ Rees, with their younger selves played by Scott Arthur and Siôn Alun Davies respectively. They will be joined by Keith Allen and others.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
The BBC has announced a new six-part thriller from the duo, Boat Story.

When two hard-up strangers, Janet (Daisy Haggard) and Samuel (Paterson Joseph), stumble across a haul of cocaine on a shipwrecked boat, they can’t believe their luck. After agreeing to sell it and split the cash, they quickly find themselves entangled with police, masked hitmen, and a sharp-suited gangster known only as ‘The Tailor’ (Tcheky Karyo).

Written by Harry and Jack Williams (behind the likes of The Tourist, Baptiste and Missing), it promises to be quite good!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here