Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC iPlayer Recommendations?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
For those who enjoyed the strong Apple Tree Yard with Emily Watson, September brings us Crossfire.

Similarly created and written by Louise Doughty, Crossfire is set in a luxurious resort in the Canary Islands. Sunbathing on her hotel room balcony while on a dream holiday with her family and friends, Jo’s (Keeley Hawes) world is turned upside down when shots ring out across the complex. Gunmen, out for revenge, have, in an instant, turned a slice of paradise into a terrifying heart-breaking hell. With the unsuspecting holidaymakers and hotel staff forced to make monumental split-second life or death decisions, the consequences will linger long after the final shots are fired.

Sadly, it was absolute gash.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
FFS people every time I see this bounced I assume it's because someone has struck gold, and every time I'm wrong.

There's only one reason to bounce this thread and that's

images (14).jpeg

Watch ep 1 so you're in the swing of it.
If you're not feeling it after ep 2 no harm no foul, but you really must watch 'scaffolding' before making up your mind.

Hotel f*****g California.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I have recently watched Shetland, Capture and Crossfire.
Enjoyed all three, with Shetland in first place followed by Capture and then Crossfire.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Used to love Shetland. Wasn’t feeling this one, might go back to it.
Crossfire was not very good.
Didn’t bother with Capture.

Everything is too focussed on being the next Line Of Duty without acknowledging that it was pretty shit for the last three series.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Everything is too focussed on being the next Line Of Duty without acknowledging that it was pretty shit for the last three series.

I quite enjoyed one series of Shetland - series 6 which was the first one I'd watched, I found series 7 a bit dull. Only so many cars and SUVs travelling down long not so winding roads, grey villages and drab scenery (imo) I can watch without losing interest

Crossfire was an absolute load of shite - nearly three episodes of people running around a hotel hiding from gunmen with some very iffy acting

Recent Capture I really enjoyed, far fetched but gripping imo :shrug:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I thought I’d maybe seen Capture before or something like it. Then saw this it is a second series so I think I’ve watched a series one? But I’m not sure there was a series one.

It obviously made a huge impact on me. So much so that I’m not sure if it even exists :)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Anyone watching Inside Man?

Initially found it a little disjointed as it switched between England and the USA but after two episodes I am finding it very watchable if a little odd.

The vicar has fecked up big time in his handling of the situation, almost unbelievably so.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Yup, you are probably correct in your opinion that Crossfire wasn’t very good.
I said I enjoyed it, but on further reflection, it fulfilled a need at a time when I wanted to watch something without having to think too much. It happens to me now and again.:lolol:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
FFS people every time I see this bounced I assume it's because someone has struck gold, and every time I'm wrong.

There's only one reason to bounce this thread and that's

View attachment 152090

Watch ep 1 so you're in the swing of it.
If you're not feeling it after ep 2 no harm no foul, but you really must watch 'scaffolding' before making up your mind.

Hotel f*****g California.

Yes, first episode is fine but the second is brilliant. A bit longer Joe Pera Talks to You which is on All4 if you like this sort of thing

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Anyone watching Inside Man?

Initially found it a little disjointed as it switched between England and the USA but after two episodes I am finding it very watchable if a little odd.

The vicar has fecked up big time in his handling of the situation, almost unbelievably so.

Watched first two episodes last night - superb. Absolute quality.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
2 episodes into Crossfire.

Finding the pacing not great tbh. It's just too much of the same thing.

Will stick it out but would struggle to give more than 6/10.

As with others, we started on Marriage thinking we would enjoy how mundane and well observed it was, but just lost steam on it after 2/3 episodes. And yes, that theme tune has to be the most annoying in history.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Crossfire -
Sadly, it was absolute gash.

Sadly, agree with your analysis. This was one of those things where you keep thinking - 'yeah but they just wouldn't do that'. I always find it annoying when the plot line doesn't seem to have any scrutiny at all when they bring these things to production. A writer writes it, but there seems to be no part of the process at all where some sort of editing team is able to question the plot and provide feedback to the writer before it goes into production. If there were, adjustments could be made and you'd end up with a decent finished product. With 2 gunmen on the lose in a hotel shooting random individuals, and the authorities arriving in a couple of hours, when one of the heroes says, 'we must get everyone out of their rooms now' and then creep around the hotel with them providing ready made targets for the terrorists - someone should have thought that it may have been better to stay put in their rooms and barricade the doors.

That recent series 'The Control Room' was equally gash for the same reasons.

And then we get 'Inside Man' on now which is superb.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That recent series 'The Control Room' was equally gash for the same reasons.

Yeah, that was an interesting concept, horribly executed. By the end it was an absolute mess that made no sense.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Watched all episodes of The Newsreader. Really enjoyed it and was about to offer it to the thread too.

Another vote for The Newsreader. Me and Mrs M put it on at a whim and were absolutely hooked. Really well made, we thought. Looking forward to series 2.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Obviously Gone Fishing With Mortimer & Whitehouse goes without saying.

Bob racing Ted the dog was a wonderful moment, and his turn as a shit psychic down by the beach after getting Paul to walk ages over to him, absolutely golden telly.

Shame they've cut it to 30 minutes an episode, and you do wonder how many more series they will get out of it, but enjoying every minute while it's here.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yup, you are probably correct in your opinion that Crossfire wasn’t very good.
I said I enjoyed it, but on further reflection, it fulfilled a need at a time when I wanted to watch something without having to think too much. It happens to me now and again.:lolol:

Mate, sometimes it’s great to watch a bit of eye food!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Obviously Gone Fishing With Mortimer & Whitehouse goes without saying.

Bob racing Ted the dog was a wonderful moment, and his turn as a shit psychic down by the beach after getting Paul to walk ages over to him, absolutely golden telly.

Shame they've cut it to 30 minutes an episode, and you do wonder how many more series they will get out of it, but enjoying every minute while it's here.

Unfortunately Bob went back into hospital very recently. In his words “I’m not very healthy at the moment”.

Hang in there Bob.

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
They have finally started reshowing Our Friends In The North.
1-3 on iPlayer now, then on bbc4 every wed for the next few weeks. Hadn't seen since it was on the first time but I remember it being superb

Great show!

Who’d have thought Daniel Craig would have gone on from there to being 007 though……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here