Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC apologise for John Inverdale's 'Bartoli not a looker’ comment!

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
97028.jpg

0_6447736_00.jpg

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'm glad those pics have been posted; Bartoli has made it onto my Would List this week, but I couldn't quite work out why.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
How is commenting on his own physical attraction towards her anything to do with political correctness?

For the record, I think she is quite attractive.

You missed the point he was making. Everyone has an opinion whether they are ugly or not. The presenter was airing his opinion. And yes she is the most unattractive tennis player to date.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
You missed the point he was making. Everyone has an opinion whether they are ugly or not. The presenter was airing his opinion. And yes she is the most unattractive tennis player to date.

That wasn't his point, he used his personal opinion of her looks as a basis for saying she is somehow more "scrappy" than Sharapova, as if looks are a substitute for ability.

It's nonsensical drivel. In my opinion.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I won't have that. Check her out:

Nice Mullet.jpg

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
The adlib comment is so true. During the Olympics there were so many awkward moments with Inverdale. The worst was after he interviewed one of the rowers who was crying after just missing out on gold. He was trying so hard to show empathy towards the guy but it came across as inauthentic and clumsy.

i'm glad someone else remembers that. for me, that was the worst bit presenting in the entire games. especially memorable was his smooth hand back to the studio after the 'interview'. he'd obviously been reading the Wolstenholme Big Book of Iconic Moments in Sports Commentary to come up with his mumbled "hmmm.... emotions...."

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
That wasn't his point, he used his personal opinion of her looks as a basis for saying she is somehow more "scrappy" than Sharapova, as if looks are a substitute for ability.

It's nonsensical drivel. In my opinion.

It was worse than that, to be honest.

Inverdale was making out that 'looks' was the default way of being a success within women's tennis, and if you can't make it through that, you're going have to rely on a back-up strategy of doing what it takes to win tennis matches.

Jimmy Grimble

i'm glad someone else remembers that. for me, that was the worst bit presenting in the entire games. especially memorable was his smooth hand back to the studio after the 'interview'. he'd obviously been reading the Wolstenholme Big Book of Iconic Moments in Sports Commentary to come up with his mumbled "hmmm.... emotions...."

Oh Christ it's all flooding back now. It was beyond Alan Partridge.

There was another moment with him and Redgrave where they attempted terrible 'bloke banter' which ended in an awkward 3/4 seconds silence before he handed it back to the studio.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here