Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC apologise for John Inverdale's 'Bartoli not a looker’ comment!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The whole coverage from 5 live had an air of it being Lisicki's final to win by right. It probably had something to do with the fact that she is young and pretty as there was no mention of the fact that Bartoli had not dropped a single set all championship in the pre match stuff.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
The BBC have shown their lack of professionalism this week. They should get rid of that joke of a post-match interviewer Robertson as well as Andrew Castle. Inverdale needs to buck his ideas up but he's usually a fairly polished presenter.

Have to say, the inane questions of those post-match intrrviews are cringeworthy.

For what it's worth, I like Bartoli and think she looks fine, not that it matters - being Wimbles champion does.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I actually think she's kinda cute, But neither that nor Inverdale's crass opinon is the point - she's worked bloody hard to get there and deserves her title for the tennis she's played. Blew Lisicki away yesterday

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I used to think Lindsey Davenport looked like a bit of a bruiser when she was playing

now,I find her strangely shaggable

Bartoli herself when asked why she didn't have a clothes sponsor said "Because I'm not blonde enough, tall enough or slim enough"

She knows.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Odd thing for a man of his vast experience covering that sport to say on air. Sounds like he dug himself a bit of a hole and chose the wrong course of words to illustrate what I think was his original intended point. If he was presenting Wimbledon's highlights show last night, I imagine Lindsay Davenport and/or Tracy Austin gave him some evil stares.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
In therapy circles, given that the presenter is no oil painting himself, isn't what John Inverdale saying about Bartoli a rather fine example of what is called 'projection'?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Did anyone notice the umpire in that game?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
A stupid sexist comment. He put the 'w' into anchor. The man is an upper class Buffon with no ability to adlib. Lineker and Barker are good anchors, the rest of the Wimbledon set up are pretty good although McEnroe is beginning to grate. Just get rid of Invedale and leave him to do shit like rugby.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The whole coverage from 5 live had an air of it being Lisicki's final to win by right. It probably had something to do with the fact that she is young and pretty as there was no mention of the fact that Bartoli had not dropped a single set all championship in the pre match stuff.

Yes, I found the whole Lisicki thing a bit strange. Bartoli had already been in a Wimbledon finalist, was seeded higher and had not dropped a set in the tournament, yet everyone was tipping Lisicki.
Her form during games had been patchy. Losing 9 games on the spin v Williams before finding her form. No-one considered that she would suffer from nerves. No...she is young, pretty and talented...knocked out the no.1 seed...she has to win.
She didn't.

Jimmy Grimble

A stupid sexist comment. He put the 'w' into anchor. The man is an upper class Buffon with no ability to adlib. Lineker and Barker are good anchors, the rest of the Wimbledon set up are pretty good although McEnroe is beginning to grate. Just get rid of Invedale and leave him to do shit like rugby.

The adlib comment is so true. During the Olympics there were so many awkward moments with Inverdale. The worst was after he interviewed one of the rowers who was crying after just missing out on gold. He was trying so hard to show empathy towards the guy but it came across as inauthentic and clumsy.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
I think it's out of order that Bartoli and her father had to answer questions regarding Inverdale's comments in the aftermath of such a great achievement. Poor form from Inverdale and the journalist(s) asking the questions.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
The adlib comment is so true. During the Olympics there were so many awkward moments with Inverdale. The worst was after he interviewed one of the rowers who was crying after just missing out on gold. He was trying so hard to show empathy towards the guy but it came across as inauthentic and clumsy.

There was the bit when he was staring at Denise Lewis's arse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here