Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Battered and Won

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Can't speak for you but WSU near SWC was loud and proud after we kept Derby at bay.

I sit on the half way line in the WSU I couldn't hear a thing from that side. Towards the North were as always very good considering the amount of old twats in the WSU.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I sit on the half way line in the WSU I couldn't hear a thing from that side. Towards the North were as always very good considering the amount of old twats in the WSU.

What can I say? I have recently moved from the graveyard of the East so a raised voice and a bit of clapping is enough of an atmosphere for me!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I assume you didn't make Leeds last week?

Unfortunately not, I share our season tickets these days and that wasn't one of my games. I did listen on the radio as always, saw extended highlights too and was very pleased to see us batter them and get our rewards for that.

I felt really lucky to be at the Ipswich game as it was an absolute belter!, and I got to see the Brum 7 goal not so thriller too, but tonight feels great because of the shock of the result.

Pre game I fancied we might continue getting goals at home and run out 3-2 winners or something crazy (especially knowing Bent and Martin were out). Come half time though I was thinking I'd be delighted if we came away with a draw - so to get 2 goals against a fine footballing team was a bonus beyond belief. I still feel a little stunned by it all even now. It's like I'm rubbing my eyes having just watched some kind of magic trick and wondering if it actually happened or not :lol:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Unfortunately not, I share our season tickets these days and that wasn't one of my games. I did listen on the radio as always, saw extended highlights too and was very pleased to see us batter them and get our rewards for that.

I felt really lucky to be at the Ipswich game as it was an absolute belter!, and I got to see the Brum 7 goal not so thriller too, but tonight feels great because of the shock of the result.

Pre game I fancied we might continue getting goals at home and run out 3-2 winners or something crazy (especially knowing Bent and Martin were out). Come half time though I was thinking I'd be delighted if we came away with a draw - so to get 2 goals against a fine footballing team was a bonus beyond belief. I still feel a little stunned by it all even now. It's like I'm rubbing my eyes having just watched some kind of magic trick and wondering if it actually happened or not :lol:

Fully agreed. Leeds was a better game for the Albion. But I celebrated both goals tonight more so than any other home goals this season. As you said a real shock.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Fantastic. Any Derby fan worrying wouldn't be if they went to the game. The usual idiots assuming they were shit. I thought Ince was fantastic for them and if it wasn't for Stockers they would have taken the points.

They look much better than Leicester and Burnley did last season. I hope them and Boro do it.

Agree.

I went to both away games last season and the Derby fans I met were genuine football people. On top of that, their team is, without question , quality.

I was hoping they'd go up last season. This season I'll be genuinely disappointed if they don't go up automatically.

A proper team, not bought and paid for, supported by proper fans.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Fully agreed. Leeds was a better game for the Albion. But I celebrated both goals tonight more so than any other home goals this season. As you said a real shock.

And that in a nutshell is probably what I mean. I'll be nodding off tonight still with a big grin on my face from that result.

I also enjoy watching classy teams play football, and let's face it, Derby are a class team this season. Which again, just makes the result even more satisfying, considering some of the dross that have come down to us this season and we've still got nothing from those games.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
"Battered" - injured by repeated blows or punishment... without execution, or effective execution; see "Stockdale" or "2-0 to the Albion".

Battered? Nah... find another word.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Formulaic system play of Ipswich and Derby not good enough to win at the Amex. It needs something extra like Arsenal had.

Derby played well, even by their own standards.

Forsyth was good at crossing.

el punal

You have got to be joking the atmosphere was average at VERY best.

It was until around the 60th minute, then there was a universal, collective crowd appreciation of Albion's never say die defence. A case of "fighting like beavers" to quote Chris Kamara! From then on Derby started to get ragged and we took advantage. Fans and team in unison.

A great night.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Still buzzing from last night, have no idea how we managed to win. Very much a smash and grab but credit to the players for putting in 100% for the full 90 minutes. Early in the second half it looked like it was just a matter of time before they scored and the flood gates would open. Derby are by far the best team i have seen at the Amex all season.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Thought for the first 15-20 minutes of the second half Derby were superb. The speed of their attacks and their pressing meant we hardly got out of our half. Amazed they didn't score but Stephens coming in changed the game

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Ok, the stats were against us, Derby are gobsmacked they came away empty handed, but maybe we deserved a result like this - the Forest game springs to mind. This was a massive result in many ways, combined with Millwall's, it was a pretty good night. 3 from 4 down the bottom now I reckon. UTA!

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Thought for the first 15-20 minutes of the second half Derby were superb. The speed of their attacks and their pressing meant we hardly got out of our half. Amazed they didn't score but Stephens coming in changed the game

I felt the same - looked at the clock and it said 55 minutes and I realised we hadn't been in their half at all in the 2nd half. But for me it was clear Derby couldn't keep up that kind of pace for much longer - maybe they had been told get out and press and attack until we score. Just so happens that by never say die defending and outstanding goalkeeping (plus a bit of wayward shooting) we held out. O'Grady was immense in his hold up play - and his ability to find a player after keeing it for 10 seconds. I was worried by no Rohan Ince and Holla was the weakest link for me - looks slow, unfit, and can't take a free-kick.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I too thought Derby were excellent but they clearly missed their top strikers. What impressed me about our performance was that we didn't let the 'battering' affect our game. We were extremely resilient and patient throughout and once ahead actually managed to close the game out. Really proud of the team last night and glad to be on the right end of a game like that, seen too many with the opposite outcome.

After last year's playoff travesty I really hope Derby get one of the automatic spots.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here