Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Battered and Won

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I thought from 60mins we got ourselves back in the game.

The crowd sensed it too, for some reason with our back against the wall the stadium produced a lot of noise and the game turned. From Stephens then coming on 67mins we got control of the midfield and I thought it we started to boss the game, to the extent of at 2-0 up, we still had some chances.

Quite how we kept a clean sheet up until 60mins mind was largely down to Stockdale's finest performance in an Albion shirt to day, and some throwing yourselves at everything defending. We earned a large slice of that luck.

What a game though, I even loved our last ditch defending at the start of the second half, that was a proper game of football!

All of this

goldstone68

Aug 31, 2014
darkside
Fantastic gutsy performance by the Albion tonight, great to see defenders throwing themselves in front of the ball, the gritty attitude seemed to spread around the team and into the supporters to create a great atmosphere, the disappointing thing was the number of empty seats around the ground.
And is was also great to shut the Derby fans up, they were beginning to get on my t**s.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It was an anti Amex game, how many times have we battered a team had loads of chances but couldn't score and end up losing against a team who had two shots on target.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

The crowd sensed it too, for some reason with our back against the wall the stadium produced a lot of noise and the game turned. From Stephens then coming on 67mins we got control of the midfield and I thought it we started to boss the game, to the extent of at 2-0 up, we still had some chances.

Quite how we kept a clean sheet up until 60mins mind was largely down to Stockdale's finest performance in an Albion shirt to day, and some throwing yourselves at everything defending. We earned a large slice of that luck.

What a game though, I even loved our last ditch defending at the start of the second half, that was a proper game of football!

Yep....and i agree with your point re Stephens...listened to SM interview after the game and a touch of humility wouldn't have gone amiss...we defended well they didn't

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Best team at The Amex this season, makes a nice change to not be on the receiving end of a game like this.

fozzie's paper boy

Aug 20, 2011
Hove
It was weird as well. There was like a collective realisation that it wasn't going for Derby and that the team were putting themselves on the line. With our backs completely against the wall, the noise really started to build.

We got some of the usual stick off the Derby fans in the first half for being quiet, but it was brilliant how we reacted early in that second half, as if by getting behind the team we might help to alleviate some of the pressure. Best Amex reaction (other than Burnley) I've experienced - for once it wasn't a result of the team doing something, it was the crowd willing the team on to try and turn change things, loved it.

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
No quality about the goals ? Come on steve, atleast admit kaz's celebration was quality.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
No quality about the goals ? Come on steve, atleast admit kaz's celebration was quality.

As i said above a touch of humility would have been nice...i don't believe he gave us any credit...still who cares we won..and it was top of my birthday presents

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Top post. Glad the crowd woke up too - was quoted until 60 mins when we really got behind the lads!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Only the Ipswich game have I enjoyed more this season.

Felt like we were battered by Derby, yet somehow we come away with not one, but two goals!, AND a clean sheet to boot :lol:

Derby are a very nice team to watch. Lovely movement off the ball, always giving themselves options, and press you in all areas of the pitch whenever they haven't got the ball. Never really resort to dirty cynical play and seem to win nearly every second ball going. Couple that with plenty of goals and I'd be astounded if they don't go up automatically - they certainly deserve to (did last season too really). I think it was lucky for us that Bent and Chris Martin are out injured.

As for us - what a manager for this division Chris Hughton is! The sort of option we really should have gone for right at the beginning of the season - namely, someone who knows this division inside out and exactly how to play in it. Inspired subs tonight ( even if Kaz for Baldock was forced upon him). Not afraid to change the team around depending on the opposition. In short...a manager with a brain and a plan for every occasion.

Take a bow our squad of players too. I confess to slating them all season and maintaining that any manager would find it hard avoiding relegation with this lot. But now with Stephens back and a fresh feel about the place, given that Blackpool, Wigan and Millwall are so woeful, I reckon if we can jog along as we are and take 3 crucial points away against Rochdale then we'll pretty much be in the clear.

My Albion mojo is on a high tonight that's for sure :)

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It was quite incredible how, after being battered for the first 15 minutes of 2nd half, the ground seemed to roar into support.

Hadn't felt an atmosphere like that since Burnley a couple years ago. Or Barnsley. I'm drunk, can't remember.
Bloom in eck, was it really that good? I must have missed it. The atmosphere was the worst it's ever been in the first half which may have made it seem a lot better.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
It was quite incredible how, after being battered for the first 15 minutes of 2nd half, the ground seemed to roar into support.

Hadn't felt an atmosphere like that since Burnley a couple years ago. Or Barnsley. I'm drunk, can't remember.

You have got to be joking the atmosphere was average at VERY best.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
How many times at the Amex have we battered teams but lost. Its bloody lovely being on the other side.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Only the Ipswich game have I enjoyed more this season.

Felt like we were battered by Derby, yet somehow we come away with not one, but two goals!, AND a clean sheet to boot :lol:

Derby are a very nice team to watch. Lovely movement off the ball, always giving themselves options, and press you in all areas of the pitch whenever they haven't got the ball. Never really resort to dirty cynical play and seem to win nearly every second ball going. Couple that with plenty of goals and I'd be astounded if they don't go up automatically - they certainly deserve to (did last season too really). I think it was lucky for us that Bent and Chris Martin are out injured.

As for us - what a manager for this division Chris Hughton is! The sort of option we really should have gone for right at the beginning of the season - namely, someone who knows this division inside out and exactly how to play in it. Inspired subs tonight ( even if Kaz for Baldock was forced upon him). Not afraid to change the team around depending on the opposition. In short...a manager with a brain and a plan for every occasion.

Take a bow our squad of players too. I confess to slating them all season and maintaining that any manager would find it hard avoiding relegation with this lot. But now with Stephens back and a fresh feel about the place, given that Blackpool, Wigan and Millwall are so woeful, I reckon if we can jog along as we are and take 3 crucial points away against Rochdale then we'll pretty much be in the clear.

My Albion mojo is on a high tonight that's for sure :)

I assume you didn't make Leeds last week?

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
The ref changed the game. We were crap for 15 minutes in the second half, then he changes the ball and we started to play. Obviously a soft ball was affecting our game plan.:albion2::albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here