Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Batley & Spen by-election

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
That's odd, I fully expected him to shrug off the defeat like he usually does. :mad:

his... speech pattern... is so brok...en, i couldnt.. bear ... more than.. two ... minutes of ... that.

and reckon he had nothing worth listening too anyway.

Labour strategist might be a tad concerned that he pulled in 8k votes though.

SAC

May 21, 2014
his... speech pattern... is so brok...en, i couldnt.. bear ... more than.. two ... minutes of ... that.

and reckon he had nothing worth listening too anyway.

Labour strategist might be a tad concerned that he pulled in 8k votes though.

You didn't miss anything, I was two minutes in before getting bored. It was like a drink man desperate to appear sober.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Would like to see Starmer gone but glad they have kept the Tory’s at bay. A mixed result.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
When you're voting for a candidate who's main supporter is that colossal turd Laurence Fox you need to take a long hard look in the mirror. Whether you agree with their policies of not, the candidate will ALWAYS be there for dishonest reasons. Galloway was never there to win. He was there to split the vote, get a Tory candidate in and try and oust Starmer.

That said, Labour's strategy of fighting harder against their own party than the Conservatives may also have contributed to losing votes.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Last night was a victory for decency that the people of Batley & Spen didn't let that absolute human turd Galloway decided who their MP is for them

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Here is where Labour’s majority went:

“Labour and Respect MP George Galloway third with 8,264, There was the fact that George Galloway stood here and he took 8,000+ votes from traditional Labour voters in the Asian community, which is fairly sizeable in Batley and Spen.”

Galloway parachuted in on a mission to dethrone Starmer and almost succeeded. He whipped up hate and anger in the Muslim community dividing voters very much like Johnson and Farage have done in the past. Instead of Brexit, Labour lost votes on their perceived stance on Kashmir and teaching children about homosexuality. This cost Labour a significant majority in a constituency that was blue in the 80’s & 90’s until Blair came along and changed the Labour Party and politics.

It's more complicated than that. There are a whole host of reasons why this by-election was complicated and people were pulled from a variety of directions as to where their vote should go or if it should have been cast at all (47.6% turnout compared to over 60% in GE).

Whilst the media played into the stereotype of casting all muslim voters as homophobic and anti-semitic they ignored the plethora of local issues such as potholes, the closing down of the police station and other local facilities under the Labour council (a council bled dry by Tory cuts but at always seems to get forgotten in campaigns). Palestine and Kashmir were also issues as some muslim voters felt ignored by a Labour Party that seems to be embarrassed about associating with them. This is a constituency that enthusiastically backed Labour when it actually had a Jewish leader remember.

Galloway is an opportunistic piece of slime, thoroughly unpleasant but a skilled politician who can easily play to the lowest common denominator, he did here again. I am glad he failed, this defeat will show him up for the charlatan he is.

The abuse and intimidation Kim Leadbetter had to endure was utterly disgusting and its failure to secure her defeat should be celebrated. Just for once the bending of the rules in candidate selection actually paid off for Labour. Kim was an outstanding candidate who was worthy of supporting even if you were disillusioned with Keir Starmer's leadership. It would have been a travesty for Batley to be represented by a tory that just sat back and complacently waited for his opponents vote to be split.

I believe that Kim's fortitude and excellent hard fought campaigning, the Matt Hancock scandal, covid corruption and revulsion at the tactics of the George Galloway campaign did just enough to get Kim over the line. As a result the people of Batley and Spen will have a good local MP who I have no doubt will look out for their best interests.

Also interesting to note that in this by-election the Tory vote went down not up. Something that Boris Johnson should do well to note.

FWIW my take on the result is that this is a personal victory for Kim Leadbeater a good candidate who fought for every last vote with an impressive door to door campaign. Starmer should be relieved but not vindicated by this result. A sizeable number of voters were happy to reject him and risk Lab losing the seat. Keir will have to learn that there is a limit to pissing off your core vote and support and he should finally set about enthusing people to vote Labour again, not just because they are not the Tories but because he can deliver a real vision for the country that is worthy of support.

Congratulations Kim Leadbeater, that was a fine victory.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It's more complicated than that. There are a whole host of reasons why this by-election was complicated and people were pulled from a variety of directions as to where their vote should go or if it should have been cast at all (47.6% turnout compared to over 60% in GE).

Whilst the media played into the stereotype of casting all muslim voters as homophobic and anti-semitic they ignored the plethora of local issues such as potholes, the closing down of the police station and other local facilities under the Labour council (a council bled dry by Tory cuts but at always seems to get forgotten in campaigns). Palestine and Kashmir were also issues as some muslim voters felt ignored by a Labour Party that seems to be embarrassed about associating with them. This is a constituency that enthusiastically backed Labour when it actually had a Jewish leader remember.

Galloway is an opportunistic piece of slime, thoroughly unpleasant but a skilled politician who can easily play to the lowest common denominator, he did here again. I am glad he failed, this defeat will show him up for the charlatan he is.

The abuse and intimidation Kim Leadbetter had to endure was utterly disgusting and its failure to secure her defeat should be celebrated. Just for once the bending of the rules in candidate selection actually paid off for Labour. Kim was an outstanding candidate who was worthy of supporting even if you were disillusioned with Keir Starmer's leadership. It would have been a travesty for Batley to be represented by a tory that just sat back and complacently waited for his opponents vote to be split.

I believe that Kim's fortitude and excellent hard fought campaigning, the Matt Hancock scandal, covid corruption and revulsion at the tactics of the George Galloway campaign did just enough to get Kim over the line. As a result the people of Batley and Spen will have a good local MP who I have no doubt will look out for their best interests.

Also interesting to note that in this by-election the Tory vote went down not up. Something that Boris Johnson should do well to note.

FWIW my take on the result is that this is a personal victory for Kim Leadbeater a good candidate who fought for every last vote with an impressive door to door campaign. Starmer should be relieved but not vindicated by this result. A sizeable number of voters were happy to reject him and risk Lab losing the seat. Keir will have to learn that there is a limit to pissing off your core vote and support and he should finally set about enthusing people to vote Labour again, not just because they are not the Tories but because he can deliver a real vision for the country that is worthy of support.

A very fine post indeed.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You didn't miss anything, I was two minutes in before getting bored. It was like a drink man desperate to appear sober.

He was blaming Kirklees council for not having chairs or drinks at the count, when I know for a fact, that isn't a Kirklees council building.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
There seems to be a slowly growing anti-Tory wave. It may go nowhere but I see it gathering momentum. Even if Johnson had been responsible for the vaccine success ( he wasn't. not by a long way), that doesn't guarantee public support after it's over.
As I wrote some time ago to those that were rather puffed-up about a Tory victory; This won't last forever, things change.

And it will.

Interesting to see Johnson already dropping little hints about maybe 19th July is not going to be a full relaxing of lockdown. Mark my words, that man does not want the country to come out of lockdown. Because then the profits stop and the questions begin.

NB- Galloway is hate-stirring maniac. Deliberately stirring up homophobia and racism. Shame on him and his supporters.

NEVER TRUST A TORY

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A good result for several reasons.

It prevents the Labour and union insiders gaining traction in their hopes to oust Starmer.

Galloway's stirring didn't work.

We need a functioning opposition, with as many seats in the Commons as possible.

But still an awful campaign by all, with no parties taking an openly firm line on the teaching of LGBT in schools in Batley.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
A good result for several reasons.

It prevents the Labour and union insiders gaining traction in their hopes to oust Starmer.

Galloway's stirring didn't work.

We need a functioning opposition, with as many seats in the Commons as possible.

But still an awful campaign by all, with no parties taking an openly firm line on the teaching of LGBT in schools in Batley.

The main reason it was a good result though was, forgetting party politics, they voted in the best candidate for the job (by a mile). A candidate that will seemingly put the constituency first, before party politics.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
A point that is getting played down in much of the media coverage is that of Kashmir and the appalling treatment of Indian Muslims by an unpleasant Hindu Nationalist Government.

Labour's failure to take a public position on what is a very real issue, especially as Johnson was sucking up to Modi in the hope of a trade deal, opened the door for Galloway's opportunistic and cynical campaign. If you follow India politics, and especially if you have links to family or friends in Kashmir, you'd have expected more of Labour.

I see little in this particular by election to draw wider lessons from at the moment. There are too many locally unique factors at play. The result, and the what it may mean, have been massively over-simplified in the press. Inevitably.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Galloway does remind me of someone.

Everything done in his own interests, regardless of who and what gets shafted along the way
Repeatedly fails at mainstream politics so sets up their own party
Whips up hatred and division by appealing to the lowest common denominator
Tries to blackmail mainstream parties into adopting their policies and get more power in the process
Makes money for himself from 'lecture tours' of the US.

I wonder if he has ever been beaten by a dolphin in an election :wink:

Still, it appears that on this occasion a principled, honest and hardworking MP has been elected to the house and God knows we need more of them :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Are they proposing a boycott of Israeli academics, Harry ? That’s actually quite shocking. So if there is an important research development these people would ignore it ?

The persons who have asked for a vote want total disinvestment in Israel, pension funds not invested in any company with connections to Israel, etc etc. It is truly shocking.

My local rep tells me that anyone can propose a motion and it is not right for the union to 'no platform it'. There are a tiny number of SWP wankers rabid anti semites who will stand back and allow a vote on this. I doubt very much that anyone proposing a boycott of America, Russia or (Heaven forfend) Iran would get a chance for a vote.

I don't object to having a vote on this per se. It is just that the last time we had any sort of vote like this was 18 months ago, and it was another censure of Israel, and it was proposed by the same Palestinian bloke, and it's making us look like a single issue lobby against Israel.

And there is the obvious resonance with Corbyn Labour.

My proposal will be that the union 'Condemn all forms of discrimination' - Corbyn's response to a request to condemn antisemitism. I wonder if they'll spot the irony....

The Palestinian bloke needs help, not encouragement to devote his whole career to his hatred of Israel. He runs a course at my uni, for postgrad students, on the history of the arab israeli conflict. FFS.

I should propose a motion that the union condemn Crystal Palace, perhaps.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Surely this action is the end result of elected government failing to challenge the Israeli government about its actions and deeds over the last 40 years or so?
I'm not fully conversant on all the issues in the region but it's pretty obvious that there are terrible injustices occurring in the region that have been allowed to continue.

In the social media connected world we live in these days it is easier for disparate groups of people to organise and combine and create a pressure group that can gain global attention see, Thunberg, G and BLM.

I agree that your union voting to take a stance against the Israelis is a bit like the scene in The Holy Grail where the Peoples Front of Judea, ( Executive Committee), end up voting for Stan's right to have a baby.

However, is our current PM likely to attempt a new diplomatic breakthrough or organise a global alliance to try to force some change fir the better in the Middle East? We all know his fame as a " Details Man ". Obviously he will stay well away from any real criticism of Israel as there is nothing in it for him. So, in this vacuum people and pressure groups form.

So although the unions actions seem stupid and misguided I think this is a good example of a respected NSC regulars opinion that " life and society is getting better and better " [emoji106][emoji6][emoji16].

No it is simply that there is one academic among tens of thousands at my uni who is obsessed with Palestine, and my union has allowed him to speak about his obsession and force a vote on the issue. It has no basis in or relevance to any wider context. Unfortunately it has parallels with allowing Corbyn onto the leadership ballot a few years ago (misguidedly welcoming 'balance' and 'openness' - patronizing cuntishness).

I can guarantee that every person where I work who is exercised about Israel will have been mobilised to vote, which is why I'm concerned the motion may carry.

Regarding you last point, this is just a blip. That said, if the motion is passed it could well be reported in mainstream media. We shall see...

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

Excellent post - and there's a clear pointer for Labour re: how to go about winning more seats, have a consistent message on national issues and go big on local issues - wherever possible field a local candidate who knows what those issues are.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
A victory for decency. Congratulations to Kim Leadbetter, especially after all her family has been through and the rubbish that was hurled at her during the campaign. The Tory seemed to fight a virtual non-campaign (I've followed this election fairly closely - well, I am a former Politics student after all), and he was virtually invisible. He must have just hoped to slip through the middle, while Galloway just spouted bile. I really don't know what attracts people to him.

Meanwhile, council by-elections don't get national coverage and therefore aren't noticed, but the Tories lost a seat to the Liberal Democrats in Cobham and Downside in Surrey, an area I know pretty well. It's about as close to true blue Stockbroker Belt as you can get (I think in that council area, only Cobham Fairmile and Oxshott and Stoke d'Abernon, where Chelsea's training ground is, are better off). That ward is in Dominic Raab's constituency, which he nearly lost to the LDs in the 2019 General Election. The Tories are also expected to lose a seat at Writtle in Essex. However, they picked up seats in Grimsby and Stoke. It seems the turnaround in British politics is continuing.

Regarding Labour, I know there was talk of Andy Burnham replacing Keir Starmer. There is just one problem: he isn't an MP. He would have to fight a by-election in a safe Labour seat, and voters don't take kindly to engineered by-elections. When Willie Whitelaw was sent to the House of Lords, the Tories only held his Penrith and the Border seat, which had a 15,000 majority, by 500 votes, and when Leon Brittan became a European Commissioner, William Hague only held Richmond because both the Liberal Party and the SDP stood against him. I think Burnham would be a good leader, but the Tories would immediately clobber him over his record as Health Secretary and Mid Staffordshire Hospital.

Last edited:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The persons who have asked for a vote want total disinvestment in Israel, pension funds not invested in any company with connections to Israel, etc etc. It is truly shocking.

My local rep tells me that anyone can propose a motion and it is not right for the union to 'no platform it'. There are a tiny number of SWP wankers rabid anti semites who will stand back and allow a vote on this. I doubt very much that anyone proposing a boycott of America, Russia or (Heaven forfend) Iran would get a chance for a vote.

I don't object to having a vote on this per se. It is just that the last time we had any sort of vote like this was 18 months ago, and it was another censure of Israel, and it was proposed by the same Palestinian bloke, and it's making us look like a single issue lobby against Israel.

And there is the obvious resonance with Corbyn Labour.

My proposal will be that the union 'Condemn all forms of discrimination' - Corbyn's response to a request to condemn antisemitism. I wonder if they'll spot the irony....

The Palestinian bloke needs help, not encouragement to devote his whole career to his hatred of Israel. He runs a course at my uni, for postgrad students, on the history of the arab israeli conflict. FFS.

I should propose a motion that the union condemn Crystal Palace, perhaps.

If you were a machiavellian sort, you could request that your motion be put first (as it's "all encomapssing" and "wide ranging", blah blah blah).
If it gets passed (and who'd vote against discrimination) you then argue that the following, anti-israel, vote automatically falls because its in direct contravention of yours.
It all depends on how sympathetic the chair is to your point of view and if he/she is strong enough to stand up to dissenters.

I had to do similar 30+ years ago as chair of union branch when a couple of dickheads were trying to oust a branch officer.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If you were a machiavellian sort, you could request that your motion be put first (as it's "all encomapssing" and "wide ranging", blah blah blah).
If it gets passed (and who'd vote against discrimination) you then argue that the following, anti-israel, vote automatically falls because its in direct contravention of yours.
It all depends on how sympathetic the chair is to your point of view and if he/she is strong enough to stand up to dissenters.

I had to do similar 30+ years ago as chair of union branch when a couple of dickheads were trying to oust a branch officer.

Cheers for that. I'm certainly Machiavellian but so are some of the committee, and there is no time for me to prepare and get seconded a new motion in the time available. It was itself a bit of an ambush motion. I'm tapping away on NSC now but I'm actually in an exam board meeting and have a grant proposal to work on when I'm not having to listen for cues to comment on marks and students this afternoon....plus I don't feel I should be the one man band here. I'll play it by ear. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here