Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baseball Season 2016

Who's your favourite MLB team?

• Total voters

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Cardinals for me.

I am heading to Wrigley Field during my holiday this Summer and was hoping I might see Cubs v Cards, but they play on the day we fly home. Instead, I'll be watching Cubs v Angels.

anygivensunday

Jul 5, 2012
Singapore
Cubbies. Trying to get to the states in the Summer to see them play at Wrigley. I've seen them play in Cincinnati, Yankee stadium and Dodger stadium but never in Chi, which is shameful.

Am quietly optimistic about the season, although:

Very good young team with a lot of power and some excellent additions over the offseason? Check.
Hotly tipped by the media to go all the way? Check.
Season to end in glorious failure as we're the Cubs? Checkity check check.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Has to be the Orioles for me.
Back in 1996 we did a house swap with a couple in Baltimore and the fellow there had corporate season tickets for Camden Yards, home of Orioles. They left the tickets for our use and we saw them win the Championship that season.
A great experience and lasting memory.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Anyone here be interesting in doing the fantasy baseball league?!

Well, since the NSC fantasy baseball league drafts on Monday evening you've left that a bit late. But PM me and I might be able to fit you in ...

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Cubbies. Trying to get to the states in the Summer to see them play at Wrigley. I've seen them play in Cincinnati, Yankee stadium and Dodger stadium but never in Chi, which is shameful.

Very good young team with a lot of power and some excellent additions over the offseason? Check.

Glorious failure is probably right. Not sure the Cubbies have the pitching to go all the way: the bone chips in Jon Lester's elbow don't sound promising, and Arrieta can't do it all himself. But then the Dodgers have lost Zack Greinke, so that evens things up there, which leaves the Mets again in the NL: Harvey, deGrom, Syndergaard and Matz is an unbelievable rotation, and they've also got Wheeler to return from injury.

Everyone's saying it'll be the Astros in the AL, but they can't even settle on a first baseman. I think it'll be the Red Sox

daves143

Soton Seagull
Apr 18, 2009
Southampton
Biggest surprise this year am going for Diamondbacks, came on strong end of last year, having a great spring and added good additions to the roster.
I think it'll be Blue Jays from AL and Giants from NL!

daves143

Soton Seagull
Apr 18, 2009
Southampton

Interesting to see how the Cubs do this year,bit more pressure and expectation on the youngsters this year after there brilliant year last year, amazing how they finished 3rd with over 90 wins!! Think it'll be out of Cubs and Pirates for the division this year.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
For me it has to be BJs, I do love BJs.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For the umpteenth year I shall be testing the patience of NSC baseball experts not just because I support the Nat'nals.
But I'm sure once again my unerring knack of only watching games when absolutely nothing is happening will once again be in full force.

daves143

Soton Seagull
Apr 18, 2009
Southampton
For the umpteenth year I shall be testing the patience of NSC baseball experts not just because I support the Nat'nals.
But I'm sure once again my unerring knack of only watching games when absolutely nothing is happening will once again be in full force.

Fully expecting nationals and mets to romp our division again with nationals imploding as usual! [emoji3] I'd love 3rd in the division with 75+ plus wins!

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
As I have been told with the way the economy situation is in Canada it is extremely hard for Canadian teams to compete economically with American teams. Therefore I'm backing the Blue Jays this year. Toronto is much like London and NY in that there is a huge amount of money due to being the largest city but it is a great accomplishment for any Canadian team to win against an American team in any sport.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Glad there's another Dodger on here.

Won't be winners this season, a new side in the making.

Watch those Cubbies. It has to happen sometime.

May 14, 2015
Once again, LETS GO YANKEES, Just please i'm begging Giradi, Nova as the 5th starter and put Sabathia in the bullpen.

For me, the Yankees still dont have an ACE who will win them the games htey need this season, Tanaka is good, but would fit better at number two. For me, if i had to put anyone at number one i would put Eovaldi. Severino looks good , but i wouldn't put him 3,4 or 5 purely because he hasn't been fully tried and tested.

Our bullpens looking nice with Chapman, Betances and Miller, and i really hope Jorge Mateo and Aaron Judge get the at bats to put themselves in the starting lineup this year.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Glorious failure is probably right. Not sure the Cubbies have the pitching to go all the way: the bone chips in Jon Lester's elbow don't sound promising, and Arrieta can't do it all himself. But then the Dodgers have lost Zack Greinke, so that evens things up there, which leaves the Mets again in the NL: Harvey, deGrom, Syndergaard and Matz is an unbelievable rotation, and they've also got Wheeler to return from injury.

OK, OK, I can't resist the bait put out by my friend in the post above.

May I just point out one other possible contender in the NL ?
A team who have added Mike Leake and a returning Adam Wainwright to the rotation,
A team with seven post season appearances, four National League pennants and two World Series wins this century.
A team with eleven world titles since the Cubs managed their last?

I accept that the Cubs look good this year, and go into this season with renewed hope and expectation (where have we heard that before?)
I also know that pre-season friendlies (here) and spring training (there) are no reliable guide to the season to come but Cubs fans can't be too excited by an 8-17 .320 record can they?
And it is possible that the bookies having them at 15/2 favourites to win their first World Series since 1908 might be right.
I wouldn't bet on it though.

My Divisional winners are:
AL East Yankees
AL Central Royals
AL West Astros

NL East Mets
NL Central Cardinals
NL West Giants

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

A team who have added Mike Leake and a returning Adam Wainwright to the rotation,
A team with seven post season appearances, four National League pennants and two World Series wins this century.

I accept that the Cubs look good this year, and go into this season with renewed hope and expectation (where have we heard that before?)
I also know that pre-season friendlies (here) and spring training (there) are no reliable guide to the season to come but Cubs fans can't be too excited by an 8-17 .320 record can they?
And it is possible that the bookies having them at 15/2 favourites to win their first World Series since 1908 might be right.

AL East Yankees
AL Central Royals
AL West Astros

NL East Mets
NL Central Cardinals
NL West Giants

Mike Leake? Do me a favour. In fact, you can do that by drafting him tonight while I go for the proper pitchers!

daves143

Soton Seagull
Apr 18, 2009
Southampton

AL East Yankees
AL Central Royals
AL West Astros

NL East Mets
NL Central Cardinals
NL West Giants

I'd go with pretty much that except, blue jays instead of Yankees and Cubs instead of Cardinals!

Looking forward to the draft tonight, faired pretty well in the other two leagues am in with the drafts!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here