Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baseball Season 2013

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I'm adopting the Minessota Twins.

ESPN cover the games don't they ?

Pffft should have picked the Nationals. I've supported them since 2009 when I saw them play. Could be an exciting year.

I'm actually in the States this June, seeing the Cubs vs the Reds at Wrigley Field which I'm pretty excited about. Could have seen the Yankee's too but pal I'm going with not really into so agreed to see just the one game.

ESPN in the UK have been bought by BT so not sure what coverage will be like when BT launch in the summer.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Pffft should have picked the Nationals. I've supported them since 2009 when I saw them play. Could be an exciting year.

I'm actually in the States this June, seeing the Cubs vs the Reds at Wrigley Field which I'm pretty excited about. Could have seen the Yankee's too but pal I'm going with not really into so agreed to see just the one game.

Well I see the Twins moved into their new stadium Target Field 2-3 years ago, so there are parrallels. And it looks cuffing AWESOME too.

Target%20Field.jpg

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Another season of mediocrity awaits the Mariners, will keep an eye on the Nats as their season will not die as quickly. I recommend the MLB At Bat app, radio commentary and a groovy visual commentary too. £13.99 gets you commentary for any game I think, good value as there are literally hundreds of games and much like cricket is a pretty decent listen.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Any good apps knocking about for live scores and whatnot ? I'm going to have a fish around anyway, but if anyones already got a decent one they're already using and can recommend then I am all ears.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
MLB At Bat is the only app you need. Scores etc on the free version commentary on the full version.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Any good apps knocking about for live scores and whatnot ? I'm going to have a fish around anyway, but if anyones already got a decent one they're already using and can recommend then I am all ears.
I can't believe you need any more reason for supporting The Natnals, but if you did you'll get more from the legendary Tony Kornheiser podcast, who half begrudging has to talk about sports on his sports talk radio show.
The rest of the time is more like Victor Meldrew, being laughed at by the guests.

I reckon that's my 100th plug for my #1 podcast.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
How are the Cubbies going to fayre this season?? I anticipate another season of failure.

Oh how I love spring time. You can always tell when spring time is coming, as the football season moves towards its climax, the cricket season and the fabulous baseball season is ready to go too.

And you can always tell when its summer time too - that is when the Cubbies annual flirtation with first place is over and they face up to another season looking up at the Reds, the Pirates, the Astros, the Brewers and, of course, your St Louis Cardinals.
[MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] you won't regret getting in to baseball. Picking the Twins to follow is an interesting choice. In football terms, I've been trying to think who you could compare them to, and I would say Everton. Always in with a chance of being on the fringe of the leaders, but rarely actually getting to the post season and really threatening.

Whilst relegation doesn't feature in MLB, the Twins had a terrible year last year. They finished bottom of the American League Central, which was the weakest of the three American Leagues, in fact it was the weakest of all the major leagues with the winner only winning 88 games. And the Twins were 22 games behind the winners, the Tigers.

It'll be closer this year.

Count me in with the Fantasy League - and watch Easy romp home and win that by a mile. Bloody JCLs :facepalm:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
PHILLIES ALL THE WAY this season.

Hope springs eternal

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I'm adopting the Minessota Twins.

ESPN cover the games don't they ?

ESPN until July 31st , BT Vision take over on August 1st although the channel will still have ESPN in the title

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Seeing [MENTION=4190]Barry Izbak[/MENTION]'s post reminds me of the sterling work he did through last seasons play offs, trying to get me and my new found love of The Natnals through.

In fairness I think I struggled, much to his exasperation, I think I kept watching the equivalent of 0-0 draws.
I'll try again this season.

Edit
Here it is:- I'm currently trying to watch Baseball.

Last edited:

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Rangers fan here y'all since I used to live in Dallas and watch them in 86 and 87.

We've had 3 great years (2 World Series and 3 postseasons) but I think it's gonna be tough this season. Some good young players but we've lost our best hitter (Josh Hamilton) to division rivals the Angels which is like FFS going up the road, only worse (Rangers rescued him from rehab), and clubhouse vet Michael Young. Watch out for Jap pitcher Yu Darvish in the fantasy stakes.

PG

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I agree that Darvish will be a monster for the Rangers this year, could lead the AL in Ks, but losing Hamilton will hurt them. The Yankees are too old - Jeter and A-Fraud are already creaking. Jays or Angels for me to win the AL this year, Dodgers, Braves or nats for the NL.

johnhammond

Neither John, nor Hammond
Jan 17, 2008
Utrecht
Cautiously optimistic for the Mariners chances of success this year. Some good signings/bringing in the fences at Safeco should at least make for some slightly more interesting games this year instead of the usual 1-0 losses.

In any case, the Shoreham Mariners are in for the game.

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
Dunno if I'll do a fantasy team, but I'm looking to get into baseball, I have a stirring of interest. I have no knowledge of the sport or its structure in the USA though, just a (fairly woolly) idea of the general rules.

Any chance of some kind of complete IDIOTS guide to start me off [MENTION=10202]Not Andy Naylor[/MENTION] ? How the leagues are structured, points for a win etc etc ? It would be much appreciated :)

I'd recommend watching Ken Burns' Baseball. It's a series of 10 documentaries chronologically detailing the history of the game and its major characters. It is, unquestionably, the only mainstream American sport with realistic parallels to our football owing to its history.

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
Cautiously optimistic for the Angels this year, but then again, I was last year too...1 - 9 during pre-season so far though, which is always a good indication of how things will not turn out..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here