Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baryy Lloyd Bankrupt

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
Poor old Bazza,,,never get any credit on here for building a team that got within 90 mins of the top flight. A feat which NO ONE has achieved since, with both hands and legs tied behind his back. Sure he made some awful signings like Farrington and Tiltman to mention a couple. But what about Nelson, Rougvie, Dublin, Gotsmanov, Walker, Barham,Byrne, Small, Gall etc etc etc...He really should be held in a bit higher regard in ours clubs history. He did have the club at heart, which is more than could be said for the *******s he worked under.

Or anywhere else for a while I should imagine :jester:

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Lloyd was a good manager for us,had a decent record on signings,got us to the play-offs ,and had to deal with the owners.......and their plans !!!!!!

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
many ppl choose bankrupcy for loads of reasons these days .....its super common.

Bollocks. That's just what the MSM say to brainwash you gullible idiots.

On a serious note, it may be for many reasons as you say, but what it all boils down to is that he hasn't got enough money to pay his bills. He's probably not slept well for a while because of it and I wish him all the best.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
This poster named (hardly) in honour of our former manager, and previously went by the name of Barry Mustgoe, Barry Hazgon and now as you see here.

Should I now go by deed poll to Barry Handily?

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
BL supposedly told Garry Nelson he 'wasn't involved' in the play-off final at Wembley in a toilet, reputedly as pay-back for some of the run-ins they'd had when GN was union rep at the club...

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The ironic thing was I felt at the time Mullery was just getting things right on the pitch. I'd love to know what really went on behind the scenes. But then saying that, Mullery should have never cme back in the first place, as Cattlin getting the sack was disgusting.

Mike Bailey wasn't the worst manager ever either.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
BL supposedly told Garry Nelson he 'wasn't involved' in the play-off final at Wembley in a toilet, reputedly as pay-back for some of the run-ins they'd had when GN was union rep at the club...

'Supposedly' is always a good word for 'I love gossip and haven't really got a clue', dontcha think?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
'Supposedly' is always a good word for 'I love gossip and haven't really got a clue', dontcha think?

Not necessarily. Did Garry Nelson say it in any of his books?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The ironic thing was I felt at the time Mullery was just getting things right on the pitch. I'd love to know what really went on behind the scenes. But then saying that, Mullery should have never cme back in the first place, as Cattlin getting the sack was disgusting.

Mullery was brought back for the 2nd stint and used to bring in BL as assistant manager with a view that he would take over. The board then used the fact that he lived in Bamstead and wouldn't move nearer as an excuse to sack him so that BL could become manager. Anybody with any sense would have told you that although he lived in Banstead his travelling time to work would have been more miles but less time than the Hinshlewood clan took from Selsey

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
Having done the radio with barry many times and given him lifts to grounds where he was doing the summarising with hawsey and Harty , I can say he was. A charming man...fantastic stories and was once the largest transfer fee played for any player.

By quiet and unassuming, not a billy big bollocks and I know I was not the biggest fan of him and let him have it both barrels at Bristol rovers/ bath one Saturday when we lost 4-0 I think it was....I came to regard him as a mate.

This is a very sad state of affairs

Twas 4-1. I was at the game and remember one Rovers midfielder rallying his team shouting 'Comon this is easy!' I think its was a Bank Holiday Monday in 1992.

That said, I liked Barry Lloyd, he took a lot of flack, but as Stuart Tuck once said to me (he used to travel home on the same bus after training) no-one was sure who was running the team. I get the impression Lloyd was having to get involved in a lot more than the playing side.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I had a lot of time for BL. He kept the club up and running despite Archer, Bellend and Stanley's best efforts to screw things up. It was being run on a shoestring and he was juggling money and players, but he still gave us one of our best days out at Wembley.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I thoroughly enjoyed the Lloyd era. It had everything - promotion, relegations, terrible signings, amazing signings, great performances, terrible performances, a Wembley appearance ... I think we're too programmed today to expect success all the time, and constant progress. But football is hardly ever like that and it's often more fun when it isn't. Would you rather follow Brighton in the Lloyd era or a club like Man U, Barcelona or Arsenal?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Who's been passing round the rose tinted glasses.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Love to know how much he spent and how much we recouped from sell ons, think he'll have kept us in business.

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
I thoroughly enjoyed the Lloyd era. It had everything - promotion, relegations, terrible signings, amazing signings, great performances, terrible performances, a Wembley appearance ... I think we're too programmed today to expect success all the time, and constant progress. But football is hardly ever like that and it's often more fun when it isn't. Would you rather follow Brighton in the Lloyd era or a club like Man U, Barcelona or Arsenal?

Man U , Barcelona or Arsenal !

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Lloyd was a good manager for us,had a decent record on signings,got us to the play-offs ,and had to deal with the owners.......and their plans !!!!!!

Sold Dean Saunders and said Richard Tiltman was better? I rest my case. .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here