Baryy Lloyd Bankrupt

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
this, unless there's some really nasty side to Barry that I'm missing out on I can't see any need for unpleasantness.

:thumbsup:

Like many on here, I can recall times when three quarters of the crowd wanted him sacked, me included. But he was an honest bloke, and worked in some pretty tough times. He got us promoted from the old third division, and somehow got us to within a single game of the top division, using a squad assembled from other people's cast offs like Mike Small and John Byrne.

There were times during the era of Archer and Bellotti, and later on at Gillingham & Withdean, where some of us looked back at Lloyd's era and thought we'd give a lot to be that high in the league ever again.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
A lovely bloke is Barry Lloyd
I remember playing At Worthing for Southwick before he became Brighton manager, the changing rooms had been broken into at woodside road while we were playing and cash was taken from all our kit bags etc when we told the officials in the bar Mr Llyod asked every player how much had been stolen and opened up his own wallet and reimbursed every player with the stolen amount, we were all youth players so it wasn't large amounts but still a lovely gesture
Salt of the earth geezer

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
Honestly you lot.
He's one of ours. I was never excited by his managerial style, but he brought us icons such as Robert Codner, Johnny Crumplin and some good times as well as the not so good.
The bloke's probably had some awful sleepless nights over his finances and people can't wait to stick the knife in.
I reckon he loves the Albion so I'll stand by him. I wouldn't wish bankrupcy on anyone. Let alone an ex manager of Brighton.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Honestly you lot.
He's one of ours. I was never excited by his managerial style, but he brought us icons such as Robert Codner, Johnny Crumplin and some good times as well as the not so good.
The bloke's probably had some awful sleepless nights over his finances and people can't wait to stick the knife in.
I reckon he loves the Albion so I'll stand by him. I wouldn't wish bankrupcy on anyone. Let alone an ex manager of Brighton.
CODNOR was a @@@@

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
CODNOR was a @@@@

On a slight tangent: Whatever became of Robert Codner? Is he still a football agent?

Also, did he continue to moonlight as a financial consultant throughout his time with the club?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Poor old Bazza,,,never get any credit on here for building a team that got within 90 mins of the top flight. A feat which NO ONE has achieved since, with both hands and legs tied behind his back. Sure he made some awful signings like Farrington and Tiltman to mention a couple. But what about Nelson, Rougvie, Dublin, Gotsmanov, Walker, Barham,Byrne, Small, Gall etc etc etc...He really should be held in a bit higher regard in ours clubs history. He did have the club at heart, which is more than could be said for the *******s he worked under.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Loydd to me is what Dick Tight is to earnest but give the chap a break, he was on our side and didn't go raiding Palace for cast offs.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Poor old Bazza,,,never get any credit on here for building a team that got within 90 mins of the top flight. A feat which NO ONE has achieved since, with both hands and legs tied behind his back. Sure he made some awful signings like Farrington and Tiltman to mention a couple. But what about Nelson, Rougvie, Dublin, Gotsmanov, Walker, Barham,Byrne, Small, Gall etc etc etc...He really should be held in a bit higher regard in ours clubs history. He did have the club at heart, which is more than could be said for the *******s he worked under.

All true enough. But to be fair Tiltman had been a star at non-league level both for Littlehampton and Worthing, I think if he had been given a season in the reserves, he would have been more ready to make the step up. He was never going to be a crowd favourite replacing Saunders.

Lloydy was a great manager given the resources he had to work with. Given what we know now, about whom he was working with, its about time some of the 'so-called' fans gave him the credit he undoubtedly deserves. Not to mention hitting Bellotti.

Richard Tiltmans Shin Pad

Rustingtons' Mr Guiness
Jan 10, 2012
North Stand, Row Q

This. With knobs and bells on. Alan Curbishley, Wendy, Kevin Bremner, Nicky Bissett (!) Adie Owers, Paul Wood......ah 86/87....first time I was allowed to buy a season ticket......and it was just that young uns......a book of glorious yellow tickets.....

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
This. With knobs and bells on. Alan Curbishley, Wendy, Kevin Bremner, Nicky Bissett (!) Adie Owers, Paul Wood......ah 86/87....first time I was allowed to buy a season ticket......and it was just that young uns......a book of glorious yellow tickets.....

1986/87 ended in relegation!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
1986/87 ended in relegation!

Without digging out the history books, isn't that the season Lloyd took over from Mullery and we went down??? I think what he done in the close season that year after the side was ripped to shreds and he bought in Bremner, Nelson, Rougvie, Dublin, Curbishley a few others and we went straight back up the following season. Was quite a feat.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I'm not sure there's any need to be mean, folks.

A decent man has- from what you're saying- fallen on hard times. Wouldn't wish that on anyone. Well, not many people.

But NSC being NSC as someone mentioned yesterday, the first reply sets the tone. Rather insidious at times.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Without digging out the history books, isn't that the season Lloyd took over from Mullery and we went down??? I think what he done in the close season that year after the side was ripped to shreds and he bought in Bremner, Nelson, Rougvie, Dublin, Curbishley a few others and we went straight back up the following season. Was quite a feat.

Yes. It was the season that we went down. With Albion as a mid-table Second Division side when Mullery was sacked in January 1987 (comfortably clear of relegation), Lloyd took three months to register his first win as manager, and so Albion finished bottom. The way Lloyd rebuilt the squad was excellent but Albion should never have got relegated in that 1986/87 campaign.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Honestly you lot.
Ex Directors yes....but not ex managers,,,

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Yes. It was the season that we went down. With Albion as a mid-table Second Division side when Mullery was sacked in January 1987 (comfortably clear of relegation), Lloyd took three months to register his first win as manager, and so Albion finished bottom. The way Lloyd rebuilt the squad was excellent but Albion should never have got relegated in that 1986/87 campaign.

The ironic thing was I felt at the time Mullery was just getting things right on the pitch. I'd love to know what really went on behind the scenes. But then saying that, Mullery should have never cme back in the first place, as Cattlin getting the sack was disgusting.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Having done the radio with barry many times and given him lifts to grounds where he was doing the summarising with hawsey and Harty , I can say he was. A charming man...fantastic stories and was once the largest transfer fee played for any player.

By quiet and unassuming, not a billy big bollocks and I know I was not the biggest fan of him and let him have it both barrels at Bristol rovers/ bath one Saturday when we lost 4-0 I think it was....I came to regard him as a mate.

This is a very sad state of affairs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here