Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Barton to face no retrospective action"

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
For FA to take action the officials must admit that they did not see what happened, if they saw it and did not seem any action to be taken that is the end of it

The FA are as scared of Barton as Pawson was on Saturday. Cowards to a man.

The incompetence and cowardice of match officials and the FA is why we have to introduce citing officers as in Rugby Union. This will then force the FA into action and lead to incompetent (or bent) officials being kicked out of the game.

cunningplan

Apr 1, 2011
Sussex Coast
I have looked at the stamping video footage countless times and have to agree with Virgo's (partially interrupted) comments; whether contact could have been avoided or not, Barton did not try in any way to ameliorate the action either by word or deed. Had he been at least booked (which he deserved), a better ref would have given him a second yellow for the elbow, bickering or feigning injury - any one would do.
Having said all that, all clubs tend to shrug off the bad actions of their 'bad boys'... I remember all those 'cheeky chappies' who could easily have crippled opposition players - Hans Kraay, Kenny Burns, and more recently Vinnie Jones. For reasons that I will never understand, their behaviour is not only tolerated, but some of them become folk heroes. I just hope as a nation we learn to condemn their actions, even the clubs that play them every week!

Last edited:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
That's an easy one. He was bending down to pick the ball up because the referee's whistle had gone for the push in the back, which is why the free kick had been given.

(The whistle blew while he was in the air, hovering to see where Kayal was going to put his knee before deciding where to land.)
You are as embarrassing Douche and Barton.

You are quite a nasty little club/town on the whole aren't you?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I have looked at the stamping video footage countless times and have to agree with Virgo's (partially interrupted) comments; whether contact could have been avoided or not, Barton did not try in any way to ameliorate the action either by word or deed. Had he been at least booked (which he deserved), a better ref would have given him a second yellow for the elbow, bickering or feigning injury - any one would do.

He should have also received a yellow in the first half after the foul that led to a long lecture from Pawson (has anyone got any footage of that challenge btw?). If you add that to the stamp, the elbow - which amount at the very, very least to persistent bad fouling - plus feigning injury and haranging the ref, the fact that he wasn't even booked is absolutely disgraceful.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
That's an easy one. He was bending down to pick the ball up because the referee's whistle had gone for the push in the back, which is why the free kick had been given.

(The whistle blew while he was in the air, hovering to see where Kayal was going to put his knee before deciding where to land.)

You're mistaken (or more accurately lying, as you have been with every post), the whistle went as Barton had kicked Kayal to the ground (on it's own warranting a booking at least - it wasn't a tackle), prior to stamping on him

Lotty1

Apr 4, 2016
Burnley . Doesn't alter the fact though does it .
All this nonsense about Burnley being a nasty team and Burnley being a horrible place is rather infantile and in all probability sour grapes . You were the better team on Saturday probably up to the last 20 minutes or so and from what I've seen on TV which is around 6 matches that was your best performance by some distance and you look a good side . The fact that you didn't win is hardly our fault ; all teams have games they should have won as is true of the reverse . You could have lost had the "goal" we scored counted as it should have BUT , and it's a big but , maybe had that counted the game would still have ended in a draw , who knows .

Brighton as a team are no angels and Dunk springs to mind but we are not a dirty side and the stats back that up . As for Barton . He's been no angel throughout his career and I was sceptical when he signed but since joining us he's been kicked from pillar to post with little or no protection and never complained .

I'd like the pair of us to be promoted mainly because of your manager who imo is a decent man not to mention a decent manager . To finish - I've no axe to grind against your club so haven't come on here to do anything other than discuss football . We all have rose tinted spectacles when it comes to our own team .

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
I think from a Brighton perspective the Barton controversy has somewhat hijacked the main issues, realistically and as I have said on a previous thread, you could and should have had the 3 points regardless of Barton. You had some good attacking plays which didn't quite work and two gilt edged chances, the latter of which really should have given you the 3 points.

Barton was an issue and one I hope doesn't spoil any mood between the two clubs, but in reality he should have been a side story. I think Brighton will go up and I hope so, you played some cracking football on Saturday and I hope you get the points tonight. Fingers crossed we both go up.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
All this nonsense about Burnley being a nasty team and Burnley being a horrible place is rather infantile and in all probability sour grapes . You were the better team on Saturday probably up to the last 20 minutes or so and from what I've seen on TV which is around 6 matches that was your best performance by some distance and you look a good side . The fact that you didn't win is hardly our fault ; all teams have games they should have won as is true of the reverse . You could have lost had the "goal" we scored counted as it should have BUT , and it's a big but , maybe had that counted the game would still have ended in a draw , who knows .

Brighton as a team are no angels and Dunk springs to mind but we are not a dirty side and the stats back that up . As for Barton . He's been no angel throughout his career and I was sceptical when he signed but since joining us he's been kicked from pillar to post with little or no protection and never complained .

I'd like the pair of us to be promoted mainly because of your manager who imo is a decent man not to mention a decent manager . To finish - I've no axe to grind against your club so haven't come on here to do anything other than discuss football . We all have rose tinted spectacles when it comes to our own team .

So, watch the video of the stamp & tell me that wasn't deliberate. That's all the controversy's about - it was a cowardly act from the most cowardly player I've seen (& I'm not young).Apart from that it was a good game from the best two teams in the division

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I think from a Brighton perspective the Barton controversy has somewhat hijacked the main issues, realistically and as I have said on a previous thread, you could and should have had the 3 points regardless of Barton. You had some good attacking plays which didn't quite work and two gilt edged chances, the latter of which really should have given you the 3 points.

Barton was an issue and one I hope doesn't spoil any mood between the two clubs, but in reality he should have been a side story. I think Brighton will go up and I hope so, you played some cracking football on Saturday and I hope you get the points tonight. Fingers crossed we both go up.
Yes, it's time to move on. Barton won't exactly be popular if he ever comes back here. I'm more concerned this is distracting from the game tonight, but I guess Hughton and Kayal's comments were just them quickly drawing a line under it and focussing on the next task.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton

Thanks, good post. The issue though is not just Barton but your guys coming on here & defending him repeatedly. Which is as sad & cowardly as what he did.
We've had players behave badly this season & they've been crucified for it on here

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
All this nonsense about Burnley being a nasty team and Burnley being a horrible place is rather infantile and in all probability sour grapes
. You were the better team on Saturday probably up to the last 20 minutes or so and from what I've seen on TV which is around 6 matches that was your best performance by some distance and you look a good side . The fact that you didn't win is hardly our fault ; all teams have games they should have won as is true of the reverse . You could have lost had the "goal" we scored counted as it should have BUT , and it's a big but , maybe had that counted the game would still have ended in a draw , who knows .

I was there on Saturday and my seat is right behind the away team dugout, a few rows back. From my vantage point, for the whole 90 minutes plus 2 lots of stoppage time I saw your manager moaning non-stop to whichever official was in earshot. I then saw his 'interview' about the Barton stamp-yes, it was a nasty, dangerous, intentional stamp and my opinion of what I always had considered a decent manager changed. He is a 2nd rate bully but unfortunately Burnley's friend Pawson caved in to his bullying. He clearly had instructed his players to get away with as much as they could and by feck, did they carry out his instructions.

If Barton hasn't complained while at Burnley he more than made up for it on Saturday. Cynical challenges, elbowing and stamping from him led to his feigning injury and he whined constantly to the ref. I thought he had some bollocks but sadly they seem to be keeping his ears apart.

As for the town itself, I have had the misfortune to visit it on a number of occasions and have seen nothing to change my opinion of it.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Had Keane's second header not gone in, I am sure that the Burnley boards would be aflame with the injustice of having the other goal missed by the officials. The way the rules work would have prevented that injustice from being revisited. The sense of injustice that is coming from the Brighton fans is not about the result. As Lotty1 and Scamander have indicated, this was in our own hands. We let you back in by taking off Hemed, thus allowing you to press further forward. This is about one professional who was so childish, spiteful and petulant about being outplayed that he was willing to risk the career of another professional in an act of petty revenge. It was missed by the useless referee, but every former-pro pundit who has seen it recognises it for what it was. It is absolutely unbelievable that, with the footage available, the authorities are taking no further action against Barton. I suspect that Pawson's embarrassment about his team's incompetence in not giving Burnley's goal may have led to his cowardice in not putting anything about Barton in his report.

From a Burnley perspective, it is probably worth trading the Keane goal for not being without Barton for three games or more. Their results this season without him make them look a far easier opponent in his absence. However, don't be surprised if Barton ends up with an undeserved sending off in the next couple of games. The refereeing fraternity never seems shy of serving up embarrassment saving tit-for-tat justice when it suits them.

Lotty1

Apr 4, 2016
Touchee - I've been to Brighton and can't say I'd ever want to visit again but all places have good and bad areas . Not going to get into childish conversation about slagging off where we live . Burnley as a town is no different to many towns all over the UK . However there are some lovely areas as there are around Brighton .

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Touchee - I've been to Brighton and can't say I'd ever want to visit again but all places have good and bad areas . Not going to get into childish conversation about slagging off where we live . Burnley as a town is no different to many towns all over the UK . However there are some lovely areas as there are around Brighton .
absolutely

Lotty1

Apr 4, 2016
Stato - with the greatest respect , both Hughton and Kayal are happy with the incident and neither have reason to lie . If there had been more to it do you not think they'd have pressed for action against Barton ? Are other people's views on the matter correct and the views of particularly Kayal worthless ?

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Stato - with the greatest respect , both Hughton and Kayal are happy with the incident and neither have reason to lie . If there had been more to it do you not think they'd have pressed for action against Barton ? Are other people's views on the matter correct and the views of particularly Kayal worthless ?

Clearly, Hughton and Kayal are simply being diplomatic and professional. You will not see our manager berating officials or complaining about decisions in a petulant, one-eyed fashion. One or two previous managers of ours, but not this one…

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

I heard Hughton on the radio saying that he hadn't seen the incidents replayed, but that his view at the time was that it was accidental. This was also my view before seeing the video. I haven't heard comment from him after seeing the video.

I haven't seen Kayal saying that it wasn't deliberate, only that he enjoyed the battle and they shook hands at the end. If this is a genuine Twitter account: https://twitter.com/beramangela he has taken the time to retweet the video.

I suspect that both are focused more on the Birmingham game.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Barton was in the ear of Pawson throughout the match. That alone was worthy of a booking. Then he commits GBH and gets away with it. Then our goalkeeper is booked for complaining about a push on Goldson for Burnley’s second equaliser. That beggars belief.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here