Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Nice one Brighton
35000_10152739571950005_1664746145_n.jpg

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
HMV have placed hundreds of copies of The Iron Lady in prominent parts of their stores.
Today's papers threatening to include special 'Thatcher' colour supplements tomorrow.
Then we have the funeral itself to put up with.

Only football can save us now.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Quote Originally Posted by Soulman View Post
How do you know, it is different people turning up at demonstrations?..how do you know when or if they are having days off?
Funny how at a moments notice they can take time off, and a few days at that.
Do you know more than me then, or as you said of me, is your assumptions just bullshit.
I met many such people down at the occupy Melbourne protest, most I spoke to were like me protesting around their work schedule. There were some who we what you might call professional protesters and were members of funded organizations and/or pressure groups. It amazed me how few were the 'dog on a string' crusty unemployed types depicted in the newspapers and in the minds of those who love to generalise. Same goes for other protests I have been on. There were a lot of students though.

Do you think there are more unemployed supporters of the SWP than other political parties?

I am not sure about the Melbourne protests BF, so can not comment.
I would like to say that in my opinion (i'd better state that first, although i don't want to have to put that in every post) that from what iv'e seen i agree that there seems to be a lot of students in the SWP, and in my opinion a lot of unemployed supporters. The SWP and groups/parties similar to them seem to attract the same sort of supporters. I am not keen on the SWP, and if you read what they stand for, and their latest goings on, re women members etc, then i may have a point.
Many protests that turn ugly, the SWP banners can be seen, they are a bit of a rent a mob.
There are many groups that have decent members, hard working and with a genuine gripe......i am not sure that the SWP are one of them.

Dandyman

In London village.
Deregulation of banking was economically beneficial to the nation. And it stopped banking being a world of city-slickers who only got the job because Daddy had millions invested in the bank. Traditional industry was already dying, because emerging Third-World countries were making everything cheaper than Britain was. Britain was not competitive enough. As to the rest, it would be valuable if you wrote a thesis on "The British Economy, 1900-2013", making a comparative analysis between one Government and another, before you can say that Britain's economy or social conditions under the Conservatives has been worse than Britain under Labour or the Liberals. It's a very big subject and not suitable for pick-n-mix.

Deregulation of financial services in both the UK and elsewhere is one of the reasons the most recent of several crises of capitalism is proving so toxic.

Dandyman

In London village.
I don't think he's a traitor for "daring to talk to the IRA " , I think he's a traitor for inviting them over and lauding them as hero's a matter of weeks after the Hyde park bomb ,when we all saw graphic images of bits of men and horse spread all over , I think he is a traitor for stating , when asked if he supported ira terrorism , that "people fighting for their freedom always have my support " , as I've already stated , the good Friday agreement and peace talks were a world away from republican policy at the time, do you STILL disagree with me , even after I've enlightened you as to the facts ?

This is Livingstone condemning violence and explicitly saying violence was preventing a political settlement: Ken Livingstone - A Friend of Sinn Fein - YouTube

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
My thoughts especially when I read this. Her privatisation and the subsequent competition was supposed to bring prices down.

Energy firms double profits to £95 per home - Telegraph

If that is deemed excessive, it is up to Ofgem to sort them out. Many will argue that privatisation and the subsequent competition has kept the prices down over the years.

All I know is that there is state owned energy provider here, with no competition, that has more than doubled the price of electricity in the last 5 years and asked the government to do it again over then next 5 years - they wanted a 16% per annum price rise for each of the next 5 years. This has been capped at 9%, which is still excessive.

The fact that they increased their revenue substantially by putting prices up meant that the big boys within Eskom all got massive bonuses for being so clever! This is in spite of the fact that they had failed between 1994 and 2008 to increase the energy supply as per the 1994 plan, resulting in blackouts and millions of lost hours in production. There are still blackouts here and the electricity supply is strained but they finally pulled their fingers out in 2008 and started to make plans to increase the supply, but the first new power station is not due to come online until the end of 2014. This would not have happened with competition.

It is not just in the private sector where greed can be an issue.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If that is deemed excessive, it is up to Ofgem to sort them out.

The regulators do not have any say in how much energy companies charge or how much profit they make do they?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The regulators do not have any say in how much energy companies charge or how much profit they make do they?

I thought they did. At least I am pretty certain that they did when they were first set up.

Wiki(!!):

Before there was competition on domestic markets, Ofgem set price controls fixing maximum price that the monopoly suppliers could charge domestic customers. These price controls remained in place when markets started to get liberalised, and were then gradually removed between 2000 and 2002. Ofgem’s decision to remove price controls was based on the assessment that competition was developing well at that time and that the Competition Act 1998, being effective since March 2000, would deter companies from the abuse of market power, and provide Ofgem with sufficient power to tackle any abuse. Moreover, consumer surveys showed good awareness of the ability to switch, high and rising switching rates away from the former monopoly supplies, and substantial and continuing falls in their market shares.[SUP][13][/SUP]

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I can't work out if you lot are on a wind up, are stupid, or just can't read.

For the record, it is ME who has been claiming that Thatcher DIDN'T HAVE A MAJORITY OF THE VOTE all along. It is HOVA GIRL who has been claiming she did. Please try reading the thread.

I called her a Muppet because SHE is now lecturing ME on how no elected government ever had a majority of the vote, when it was SHE and not ME who claimed they did.

Jesus wept!

Obviously my very clear statement of "I'm ONLY referring to the post you quoted" passed you by in your red mist !

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
My thoughts especially when I read this. Her privatisation and the subsequent competition was supposed to bring prices down.

Energy firms double profits to £95 per home - Telegraph

And yet supermarkets will make more than that out of most people every month. When you go out for a meal ( and I know you like doing that :p ) the chef will be aiming for 85% GP. I'm really not sure that energy firms making that much money is excessive compared to profits of other companies most of us use.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
And yet supermarkets will make more than that out of most people every month. When you go out for a meal ( and I know you like doing that :p ) the chef will be aiming for 85% GP. I'm really not sure that energy firms making that much money is excessive compared to profits of other companies most of us use.

I think the point being made is that this would not be happening if they had not been privatised. Weren't people supposed to get a better deal because competition would drive the price down and the companies would be streamlined and efficient.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports