Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baroness Thatcher - Dead / RIP

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Sorry to wade in but WTF has that got to do with it? The poster doesn't vote in this country, therefore he's wrong?

Sadly it is becoming a bit of a standard answer on here. Apparently living elsewhere precludes you from having an opinion on anything that is happening or has happened in Britain (even if you were living there during the period being discussed).

I suspect that hitony is taking the piss a little here.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Sadly it is becoming a bit of a standard answer on here. Apparently living elsewhere precludes you from having an opinion on anything that is happening or has happened in Britain (even if you were living there during the period being discussed).

I suspect that hitony is taking the piss a little here.

At least such people are providing evidence to back up the idea that the education system is failing, however accidentally.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Am pretty sure that Expats can vote if they were on the electoral register in the last 15 years in the UK. This may or may not apply to BadFish of course.

Yes I can i am still on the electoral register.

Can't vote for Maggie though.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
At least he never pissed the North Sea Oil revenue up the wall on dole payments like the bitch did.

No, but he sold our gold at a rock-bottom price. The value of our currency depends on how much gold we have in our national vaults. It means our currency isn't actually backed up by enough gold.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Not really the point though is it? You accused another poster of being "thick" to suggest the majority of people didn't support her, when actually the poster is correct. Maybe you ought to apologise?

Neither is yours really the point though, is it? She won 3 general elections. In political terms, that means the majority of the country supported her. In Left-wing terms, it means they didn't, because the Left-wing didn't win.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Neither is yours really the point though, is it? She won 3 general elections. In political terms, that means the majority of the country supported her. In Left-wing terms, it means they didn't, because the Left-wing didn't win.

Unless you use the meaning of the word 'majority' then you are absolutely correct.

Last edited:

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Indeed. She never won more than 36% of the vote and was the most divisive pm we have ever had. Most disliked her.

No, "most people" didn't dislike her. I disliked her, personally, and never voted for her, but she still won 3 general elections and her Conservative colleague subsequently won an election, keeping the Conservatives in power for 18 years. She, herself, was not divisive (except with respect to the north-south divide), but the Left-wing politics of envy was divisive and remains so.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No, but he sold our gold at a rock-bottom price. The value of our currency depends on how much gold we have in our national vaults. It means our currency isn't actually backed up by enough gold.

A couple of weeks ago I read this article on the history of the price of gold and it spoke about today's price. Part of the reason for the high price is all the quantative easing which has gone on. Reading between the lines I think it implied that if the UK had held onto the gold it would not be such a high price so it did not really matter what we did as keeping it would have kept the price down. Maybe an economist can explain this as the article was well over my head and at first glance it seems to disobey the laws of supply and demand. That said, if QE did inflate the price then it would have been impossible to keep the gold, QE, then sell at the price which was made higher due to the QE?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Are you sure about this?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
No, "most people" didn't dislike her. I disliked her, personally, and never voted for her, but she still won 3 general elections and her Conservative colleague subsequently won an election, keeping the Conservatives in power for 18 years. She, herself, was not divisive (except with respect to the north-south divide), but the Left-wing politics of envy was divisive and remains so.

Given the example of three threads on here and countless others around the UK, Facebook and the rest of the world all containing people's differing feelings and the strength of those opinions one thing you can definitely say about Margaret Thatcher (and i think most people (as in the majority) on both sides would agree) is that she is divisive.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
A couple of weeks ago I read this article on the history of the price of gold and it spoke about today's price. Part of the reason for the high price is all the quantative easing which has gone on. Reading between the lines I think it implied that if the UK had held onto the gold it would not be such a high price so it did not really matter what we did as keeping it would have kept the price down. Maybe an economist can explain this as the article was well over my head and at first glance it seems to disobey the laws of supply and demand. That said, if QE did inflate the price then it would have been impossible to keep the gold, QE, then sell at the price which was made higher due to the QE?

I am not an economist but I would say that:

QE has increased the price of gold because QE has increased the amount of money in the money supply, thereby devaluing that currency because there is more of it, so investors have bought gold rather as there is a finite supply of it.
The bit about if the UK had not sold their gold, the price would not be so high does not make sense to me either. The gold did not disappear, someone else bought it, so the supply of gold has stayed the same. What has happened though is that we have less gold to back up Sterling.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Indeed. She never won more than 36% of the vote and was the most divisive pm we have ever had. Most disliked her.

Let's add a bit of a correction here ,the sequence runs from the 2 Labour wins before Thatcher got in, this is % of the vote, the only voices that count of course:

37% - Labour
39% - Labour
44% - Con
43% - Con
42% - Con
42% - Con
43% - Labour
40% - Labour
35% - Labour
36% - Con

http://www.politicsresources.net/area/uk/uktable.htm

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield

The figures have been posted showing a majority did not vote for her. You have two choices really. One, demonstrate that those figures are wrong. Two, admit that the majority didn't support her, and STFU. It has nothing to do with whether you are on the right or the left, it's just simple mathematics.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove

I think the reason the price of gold shot up (and, like you, I don't know much about this) is because Sterling, the Dollar and the Euro all became so unstable and untrusted a few years ago, that serious investors began to invest in the longer-term value of metals, such as silver, but, particularly, gold. Of course, once people start buying gold, the amount of gold left available to buy lessens, and the price goes up. As the global economic crisis begins to subside, I presume the price of gold will begin to fall again (in real terms, etc, etc) as people begin to sell it off and invest in property, businesses, etc. (I guess, to go back to what you were saying, that if GB hadn't sold our gold, then less gold would have been available on the market, and the price wouldn't have risen quite so high, but I don't really know about that.)

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
The figures have been posted showing a majority did not vote for her. You have two choices really. One, demonstrate that those figures are wrong. Two, admit that the majority didn't support her, and STFU. It has nothing to do with whether you are on the right or the left, it's just simple mathematics.

A voting majority Mr Pedant......are you being deliberately obtuse?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here