Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baroness Thatcher - Dead / RIP

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
Ah yes, but they understand that they need to actually do some hard work. Unlike the generation of scroungers created by the last Government.

thats brilliant, post some more stuff, go on.........

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Greatest peace time Prime Minister? You're having a laugh, that accolade goes to Clement Attlee, Thatcher wasn't fit to lace his boots!

Even Thatcher herself wrote in her 1995 memoirs, which charted her beginnings in Grantham to her victory in the 1979 General Election, that she admired Attlee, writing: "Of Clement Attlee, however, I was an admirer. He was a serious man and a patriot. Quite contrary to the general tendency of politicians in the 1990s, he was all substance and no show".

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
There seem to be no shortage of jobs for the Eastern Europeans that find their way to jolly old Britain.

I see you fail to mention that the economies in their respective countries; & the comparative rates of pay over here - are a highly significant factor in them undertaking low paid jobs. They're evidently intelligent enough to realise that they are never going to be able to afford a lifestyle that they desire & flourish in the UK, so the opportunity of a short-term stay to temporarily improve their own levels of income & that of their families/loved ones at home is a viable option for some. Funnily enough, as these individuals' home economies improve & our's goes from bad to worse, the majority of the aforementioned folk return to their own countries to live & work.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
There should be a nation wide campaign for all those opposed to a state funeral,to wear red on Wednesday, a bit more dignified than egging the hearse.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
There should be a nation wide campaign for all those opposed to a state funeral,to wear red on Wednesday, a bit more dignified than egging the hearse.

do both

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011

what a stupid idea....not everyone against thatcher is a labor supporter - so many on here think it is linear left<---------->right.....hehe.

and as for income tax........do some research instead of watching and reading MSM....

the gov borrows money from central banks AT INTEREST.

much of income tax goes to pay back this interest, thus, going straight to international bnaking families........you wont ever see this in the MSM as the banking families are linked to the giant corps that own the (profit making) media. not to mention £26bn trident nonsense.

keep asleep people - left or right, scroungers, need to work hard, austertity is good, economy is just in a dip....and all the other drivle they throw into your minds.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Did I say anything about Labour? Or tax or austerity? I personally object to a state funeral for Thatcher,along with a lot of other people, for reasons of cost, and the fact that she was only supported by less than 50% of the population

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
True. Given the UK economy is heavily imblanced with low paid service sector jobs which anyone can do is it any wonder the UK is a magnet for people from abroad? If you want to stop this rebalance the economy with skilled jobs and train the UK's youth. If you primarily have jobs which anyone can do.....anyone will do them. If you have 10 skilled manufacturing jobs, 10 trained Brits and 10 untrained Romanians who do you think will get the gig?

Yes of course, Utopia, but sadly we cannot compete on any level with unit manufacturing costs from the Far East, so there is no appetite to throw money around to up skill the available workforce, only to be undercut at every turn, and never get any meaningful contracts.

We need to focus on what we do best, and currently that is the financial services industries imho. Instead of adopting the anti-establishment stance of crushing this particular golden goose, we should develop it further.

We are in a different era now, mass manufacturing has moved away from most of Western Europe, and I don't see it returning soon, whatever flavour of government we have.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
My word, you really have had a tough life haven't you, how the hell have you managed? No wonder your so bitter.

Any better these days?

there were and are many far worse off than myself,
its just that they either have very short memories or are dead
thats just how far all this angst about her goes back but there are those who actually lived through those years there is one thing that I will admit to that is she was very committed to her cause, wrong but nevertheless very committed not like the wet sheep we have now now who will jump bandwagons mid stream and some of the pocket filling bankers we have now would have been well and truly handbagged

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Was interested to read an earlier post bemoaning that Mrs T. made it possible for punters to buy their council houses.

I wonder if any of these dissenters are from families who bought theirs and quietly overlook their political viewpoint when that house is passed on to them by their familiy, thereby creating a very nice legacy? I wonder how many subsequent generations are now (or at a later date) benefitting from that privilege?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
8 million quid to bury her!
I’m just glad that living in the States I will not be contributing any of my taxes to her funeral or the expenses of the MPs who are flying back to pay tribute to her.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I’m just glad that living in the States I will not be contributing any of my taxes to her funeral or the expenses of the MPs who are flying back to pay tribute to her.

Maybe you are contributing - indirectly? Your post made me wonder if/how many businesses in the US (and elsewhere) whose owners were supporters of Thatcher and are Tory party donors?

I especially like the thought that tax and income from British goods sold in Europe are somehow indirectly helping to pay the bill for her funeral.

As William Hague pointed out Mrs. T probably gained £75bn in rebates from the EEC (although a good chunk of that was our own money coming back), so she deserves credit for that.

All a bit tenuous but maybe not quite as clean cut as you suggest?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

Instead you are paying tax to support all those ex presidents like Bush et al .... Each ex president gets 200k pension plus expenses and protection to the tune if another 1.5 million........ for life.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Ditto. But money goes to proping up my beloved euro.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes of course, Utopia, but sadly we cannot compete on any level with unit manufacturing costs from the Far East, so there is no appetite to throw money around to up skill the available workforce, only to be undercut at every turn, and never get any meaningful contracts.

We need to focus on what we do best, and currently that is the financial services industries imho. Instead of adopting the anti-establishment stance of crushing this particular golden goose, we should develop it further.

We are in a different era now, mass manufacturing has moved away from most of Western Europe, and I don't see it returning soon, whatever flavour of government we have.

Not quite. I do not subscribe to this idea at all. Italy, Germany and Scando countries all haveessful and healthy manufacturing. So can the UK.

Edit: and the French do a lot as well.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
your contribution to at least 2 threads this morning has been to post a series of smilies based around someone eating popcorn, not even any words, well done.

In fairness I do sometime try to plumb the depths of asinine drivel that makes up the bulk of the posts on this site but I'm currently sober. I'll give it a go later when I'm suitably refreshed.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Not quite. I do not subscribe to this idea at all. Italy, Germany and Scando countries all haveessful and healthy manufacturing. So can the UK.

Edit: and the French do a lot as well.

There is still manufacturing in Western Europe of course, but only a fraction of what was here 30 years ago, and the migration east is ongoing. But the point still stands, we cannot compete on costs.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Greatest peace time Prime Minister? You're having a laugh, that accolade goes to Clement Attlee, Thatcher wasn't fit to lace his boots!
peace I would have thought was not in her dictionary, done a good job teaching her useless son how to sell arms and overthrow governments just one of the money grabbing, greedy little turds she spawned

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here