Baroness Thatcher - Dead / RIP

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
You consider the Suffragettes and Mandela to be terrorists and question the re-unification of Germany.

I think it's quite clear where you stand and myself in the words of the Great Leader and obviously "not one of us".

Although I voted Labour and never voted for Thatcher herself, I'm not a Leftie. So if that means I'm not one of you, well, then, I'm not. But I'm not a right-wing fascist, either. None of the political parties suits my way of thinking, as it were. I was a Social Democrat, but then they married the Liberals. Disaster.

And I don't question the reunification of Germany. I just question the cost of it for the people of West Germany, particularly. But, Germany had only existed as a nation for about 75 years, between Bismarck in the 1870s and the beginning of the Cold War. So there wasn't a lot of history and culture to actually reunify.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I think an income tax is morally wrong. There are other ways to raise revenues for the services which the government should provide, and it ought to provide a lot less than it does today, which I think would make providing what it ought to possible without an income tax.

I am weary of the argument that the role of government is to provide safety. The government cannot make us totally safe without destroying our Liberty, and the purpose of government should be the protection of your Liberty.

On the other hand, some of the richest nations in the world are rich, precisely because they do not employ income tax, such as Hong Kong and Monaco. There is a thought, that if people don't pay income tax, then they will be able to spend more money on other things, such as property, sweets, furniture, petrol, and be indirectly taxed on that, instead.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Although I voted Labour and never voted for Thatcher herself, I'm not a Leftie. So if that means I'm not one of you, well, then, I'm not. But I'm not a right-wing fascist, either. None of the political parties suits my way of thinking, as it were. I was a Social Democrat, but then they married the Liberals. Disaster.

And I don't question the reunification of Germany. I just question the cost of it for the people of West Germany, particularly. But, Germany had only existed as a nation for about 75 years, between Bismarck in the 1870s and the beginning of the Cold War. So there wasn't a lot of history and culture to actually reunify.

One of us was a famous phrase of Thatcher, nothing to do with me.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
One of us was a famous phrase of Thatcher, nothing to do with me.

Disappointed, she advocated the exact opposite which was get out there and do it

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
On the other hand, some of the richest nations in the world are rich, precisely because they do not employ income tax, such as Hong Kong and Monaco. There is a thought, that if people don't pay income tax, then they will be able to spend more money on other things, such as property, sweets, furniture, petrol, and be indirectly taxed on that, instead.

Precisely.

Kempo

Nov 3, 2012

Bloody hell, now you've gone to bed and I was really enjoying that. Really good, intelligent argument. Me too then. K

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
No, Scargill deliberately picked a fight.

And that IMF stuff simply is true. We got a fat loan from the IMF to bail us out of bankruptcy, and in return, we had to do much as Greece has to do today. Cut spending. Cut our debts. I was there. I watched the news. Read the papers. Devoured Question Time. Studied it at degree level. Anecdotal evidence, pah!

The IMF loan was not linked to the miners strike.

You can try and pretend all you want, but the truth is that the conservatives picked a fight with the NUM.
The Ridley report is FACT, it was conceived while the conservatives were in opposition. It was the blue print for the strategy and tactics used to perpetuate the strike and break the unions.

Btw I was there too. Like most people I believed the crap I saw on the tv. However bbc correspondents are on the record as saying there was a bias toward the government.
Read the links I posted before

The papers also had a bias. Print workers went on strike when the sun attempted to portray Scargill making a nazi salute.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset

You can try and pretend all you want, but the truth is that the conservatives picked a fight with the NUM.
The Ridley report is FACT, it was conceived while the conservatives were in opposition. It was the blue print for the strategy and tactics used to perpetuate the strike and break the unions.

Btw I was there too. Like most people I believed the crap I saw on the tv. However bbc correspondents are on the record as saying there was a bias toward the government.

The papers also had a bias. Print workers went on strike when the sun attempted to portray Scargill making a nazi salute.

Not forgetting that there was no ballot for a strike, he had tried three times before to get a national strike, the membership voted NO, the forth time he took those who wanted to out on strike without a ballot, hence the flying pickets etc,......so it was illegal, what did you expect the authorities to do?,.... just stand by?

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

That would be the same ultra unionised print workers from Fleet Street? They were another left-wing mob who thankfully were smashed.

The unions, and their stupid followers who simply followed their fathers into dead-end jobs, had brought this country to its knees, and had to be put in their place. It is like everything, the unions were created when there was a need to stick together to fight the social injustice of Victorian Britain, they did a great job with that. Then they were infiltrated by marxists who were hell bent on destroying this country by trying to obtain ever-increasingly stupid wages for their workers, and prevent the modernisation of our industries which inevitably meant less manual labour being required (and hence less fee-paying members for them).

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Not forgetting that there was no ballot for a strike, he had tried three times before to get a national strike, the membership voted NO, the forth time he took those who wanted to out on strike without a ballot, hence the flying pickets etc,......so it was illegal, what did you expect the authorities to do?,.... just stand by?

Yes, Scargill's thugs who terrorised the miners in other, more viable, fields, so they could not work either. Oh how some people's memories distort facts to suit their political beliefs.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
I used to believe that my income tax was wasted on scroungers. However as I've got older I realise this was rubbish. I know a family with a totally disabled 21 year old who are now getting virtually no support and are losing a lot of money this year. They are good people who want to work - and have one modest income. The level of support they get comes from our tax and is now not enough. Some of the people on here need to imagine what would happen if they became ill and hadn't got a good education or didnt inherit any family money. That is ghe situation gor many through no fault of their own. Income tax is essential in any caring society.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I used to believe that my income tax was wasted on scroungers. However as I've got older I realise this was rubbish. I know a family with a totally disabled 21 year old who are now getting virtually no support and are losing a lot of money this year. They are good people who want to work - and have one modest income. The level of support they get comes from our tax and is now not enough. Some of the people on here need to imagine what would happen if they became ill and hadn't got a good education or didnt inherit any family money. That is ghe situation gor many through no fault of their own. Income tax is essential in any caring society.

True. If you listened to Cameron, Osborne and the other members of the nasty party you'd believe that the only people in receipt of benefits are work shy lay abouts or bad back bullshitters. The truth is the vast majority of people do want to work and for one reason or another cannot. How on earth can you point a finger and say someone does not want to work when there are no friggin jobs?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
541606_318034121656280_499493534_n.jpg

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
True. If you listened to Cameron, Osborne and the other members of the nasty party you'd believe that the only people in receipt of benefits are work shy lay abouts or bad back bullshitters. The truth is the vast majority of people do want to work and for one reason or another cannot. How on earth can you point a finger and say someone does not want to work when there are no friggin jobs?

There seem to be no shortage of jobs for the Eastern Europeans that find their way to jolly old Britain.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There seem to be no shortage of jobs for the Eastern Europeans that find their way to jolly old Britain.

True. Given the UK economy is heavily imblanced with low paid service sector jobs which anyone can do is it any wonder the UK is a magnet for people from abroad? If you want to stop this rebalance the economy with skilled jobs and train the UK's youth. If you primarily have jobs which anyone can do.....anyone will do them. If you have 10 skilled manufacturing jobs, 10 trained Brits and 10 untrained Romanians who do you think will get the gig?

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland

your contribution to at least 2 threads this morning has been to post a series of smilies based around someone eating popcorn, not even any words, well done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports