Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baroness Thatcher - Dead / RIP

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
When you say "deliberately misleading headline in the Guardian", I have just flicked through all three sections of the Guardian twice and have not found that headline anywhere, either prominent on the front page or tucked away on page 5, if you get my drift.

It might be on their website, I suppose, or are you making it up?

it was on the website earlier. you can find it, as i cannot be bothered for that attitude. why i would make up that that was a headline in the guardian is beyond me.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
With respect, you were a student, you were not behind the scenes, some schools defied her and as I pointed out it was a short time and she relented reluctantly. She headed off on a new direction introducing 1265 her yearly hour directive, the national curriculum and the introduction of Sats All flawed.

Well a search of Google doesn't back up your statement - she tried to ban teaching and promotion about homosexuality ( incorrectly in my mind ) but no mention of history being banned.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
More events up and down the country are being planned for the weekend when people have a couple of days off.

True. I was at a football match last night and have a gig tonight. I'll be, er, paying my respects at the weekend.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
it was on the website earlier. you can find it, as i cannot be bothered for that attitude. why i would make up that that was a headline in the guardian is beyond me.

It's not on the website now. Street parties are mentioned, but the BBC this morning has been reporting celebrations in various places.

I am not accusing you of making it up, I just want to maintain that the Guardian is not glorying in the demise of a former PM. It's coverage today strikes me as remarkably even-handed.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
cnn_sp_thatcher_savile_130408c-615x345.jpg

CNN got it right yesterday.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Well a search of Google doesn't back up your statement - she tried to ban teaching and promotion about homosexuality ( incorrectly in my mind )...

She didn't try to ban it - she did ban it.

... but no mention of history being banned.

History itself wasn't banned. Elements of that subject were though - specifically Ireland. I remember the History teacher stating he wanted to talk about 20th century Irish history and politics, but wasn't allowed to.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Exactly, by 1987 after 8 years of good firm government, unemployment was falling dramatically.

It went from 1.5m when she took power to 3.25m within 4 years, for the previous decade it had only varied between 0.5 to 1.5m. It then stayed pretty much above 3m for the next 3 years ('83 to '87), until it dropped as you say but only to 2m and only briefly whereby it shot straight back up to 3.0m between 1990 and 1993. It then started to fall from 1993, then when Labour took over in '97 it was at 2m. It dropped down to under 1.5m where it bottomed out up to 2008 prior to the global crises when it started to rise again.

In 18 years of Tory rule, unemployment only fell for 7 of those years. The other 11 was rising to record levels of unemployment. Other than when they initially took power in 1979, they never got it below 2m.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
It's not on the website now. Street parties are mentioned, but the BBC this morning has been reporting celebrations in various places.

I am not accusing you of making it up, I just want to maintain that the Guardian is not glorying in the demise of a former PM. It's coverage today strikes me as remarkably even-handed.

you "asked" if i was making it up. not a direct accusation but dont be mealy mouthed about if that was not a little confrontational eh?

i agree that the guardians coverage has been even handed. It has both highlighted that there were parties celebrating her demise, yet also showing what total and utter cnts attended them. fair play!

Thatcher-party-brixton-006.jpg

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
you "asked" if i was making it up. not a direct accusation but dont be mealy mouthed about if that was not a little confrontational eh?

i agree that the guardians coverage has been even handed. It has both highlighted that there were parties celebrating her demise, yet also showing what total and utter cnts attended them. fair play!

View attachment 41409

Is that [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] on the Reichstag?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
She didn't try to ban it - she did ban it.

Agreed - inappropriate selection of words !

History itself wasn't banned. Elements of that subject were though - specifically Ireland. I remember the History teacher stating he wanted to talk about 20th century Irish history and politics, but wasn't allowed to.

A little different from [MENTION=20456]ALBION28[/MENTION] 's post ! Baker, her education secretary, wanted to ban teaching about Nazis in history as well but it's hardly the banning of teaching history.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

I think the online article in The Guardian is there with the headline "Police make arrests at Thatcher death street parties in Bristol and Brixton
Officers injured during public disorder as hundreds turn out across cities in Britain to celebrate former prime minister's death"

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
cnn_sp_thatcher_savile_130408c-615x345.jpg

CNN got it right yesterday.

Out of interest, does this mean you think anyone who supported Saville's charity work was involved in his crimes or at least condoned them ? Or is it just some pathetic politic rant ?

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
The truly inspirational Baroness Thatcher - RIP

It went from 1.5m when she took power to 3.25m within 4 years, for the previous decade it had only varied between 0.5 to 1.5m. It then stayed pretty much above 3m for the next 3 years ('83 to '87), until it dropped as you say but only to 2m and only briefly whereby it shot straight back up to 3.0m between 1990 and 1993. It then started to fall from 1993, then when Labour took over in '97 it was at 2m. It dropped down to under 1.5m where it bottomed out up to 2008 prior to the global crises when it started to rise again.

In 18 years of Tory rule, unemployment only fell for 7 of those years. The other 11 was rising to record levels of unemployment. Other than when they initially took power in 1979, they never got it below 2m.

Unfortunately, these are hard facts which you are quoting, so unlikely to carry much weight with the Thatcher eulogists on here

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Been announced on the ITV news that HM The Queen will be attending the funeral..... just to make sure like.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
As to Council Houses, a lot of ex-council tenants made a killing buying their council house cheaply, and selling it at a huge profit a few years later. This, of course, reduced the amount of social housing stock and went some way to causing the social housing needs problems of today.

I know people who bought their council house cheaply. Sold it and consequently moved abroad. Lived the life of luxury spending the profits overseas and have now come back and .... yep you guessed it.. claimed a new council house....

why was there not some clause attached that once a council house had been bought you couldn't then live off the council.

Last edited:

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Out of interest, does this mean you think anyone who supported Saville's charity work was involved in his crimes or at least condoned them ? Or is it just some pathetic politic rant ?

There's already been rumours, and now she's dead maybe some evidence will be found.

Until then the use of the photo as the headline is rather amusing. No?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
There's already been rumours, and now she's dead maybe some evidence will be found.

Until then the use of the photo as the headline is rather amusing. No?

Not really - no.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here