Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baroness Thatcher - Dead / RIP

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I wonder how many people posting vitriol on this thread actually lived through the Thatcher years and how much is brainwashing and "jumping on bandwagon" without actually knowing the state this country was in when she came to power.

People are STILL blaming her for all our ills even now, that's a great cop out.

She was by no means perfect but you don't get to stay in power for as long as she did if she's half the witch some of you are suggesting that she was.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It seems a lot of people around the world have mistakingly been mourning the death of Cher!!

#nowthatchersdead

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So. Did anyone crack open a bottle of champagne last night? Lots of people have threatened to in the past, anyone go through with it?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
People are STILL blaming her for all our ills even now, that's a great cop out.

It's not a cop out, most people will not argue that she instigated seismic changes that still impact on our lives today and will do for a long time to come. You can't wholly separate the financial crisis of 2008 from Thatcher's deregulation of the banks in the 80s, you can't dismiss the housing issues that face the country today without reference to the (continuing) discounted sell off of social housing.

The biggest thing for me that we can directly attribute to Thatcher is the lack of social cohesion today - Now it is me, rather than us and I rather than we, and for that, I will never forgive her.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
She was Prime Minister, she made daily decisions that cost people their lives and livelihoods. We should ALL judge her.

I am baffled why so many think it distasteful to judge or attack a world leader after they die. If you want to lead, this is the consequence. She wasn't an old lady with little in the way of memory when she died, she was the woman who privatised industries, deregulated markets, introduced right to buy etc.

Judge away if that makes you happy it is not going to alter anything is it. I just dont understand some of the vile rhetoric you would think she was in the same league as Hitler or Myra Hindley, have your day in the sun slagging off a dead person who did what she thought was good for the country even if she did in your eyes get it wrong.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
She was Prime Minister, she made daily decisions that cost people their lives and livelihoods. We should ALL judge her.

I am baffled why so many think it distasteful to judge or attack a world leader after they die. If you want to lead, this is the consequence. She wasn't an old lady with little in the way of memory when she died, she was the woman who privatised industries, deregulated markets, introduced right to buy etc.

My daughter pointed me towards what I thought was an excellent article from the Guardian website yesterday, although I would think the majority on here would not read it because it was from the Guardian.

Margaret Thatcher and misapplied death etiquette | Glenn Greenwald | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

But the gist of it is that, for a major political or public figure, their legacy is absolutely fair game at the time of their death. In fact that it is DANGEROUS not to, if for no other reason that the unopposed praise of his or her achievements will legitimise them beyond their worth. It is about balance, which seems to be a concept many on here are unaware of.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The biggest thing for me that we can directly attribute to Thatcher is the lack of social cohesion today - Now it is me, rather than us and I rather than we, and for that, I will never forgive her.

Are you suggesting that we are the only country in the world with these problems? Can we blame her for the ills besetting so many other countries too?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
My daughter pointed me towards what I thought was an excellent article from the Guardian website yesterday, although I would think the majority on here would not read it because it was from the Guardian.

Margaret Thatcher and misapplied death etiquette | Glenn Greenwald | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

But the gist of it is that, for a major political or public figure, their legacy is absolutely fair game at the time of their death. In fact that it is DANGEROUS not to, if for no other reason that the unopposed praise of his or her achievements will legitimise them beyond their worth. It is about balance, which seems to be a concept many on here are unaware of.

Indeed, and I think John Sergent just pointed out on R5, out of respect, there is a lot of powder being kept dry right now.....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Street parties in Brixton & Glasgow last night.

A London friend told me about one in the east end. I wonder what Liverpool was like?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Its amazing, I am a little shocked at some of the things I'm hearing about Margaret Thatcher today. Apparently she won the Cold War, put the Great back into Britain and was a champion for women's rights????

Here are 10 reasons why I am no supporter of hers. (and yeah, hide your eyes you sensitive flowers, I'm glad she is gone).

1. She denounced Mandela as a terrorist and supported sanction busting trade links with the racist South African government.
2. She supported Pinochet, Saddam Hussein and General Suharto.
3. The Poll tax
4. Started the privatisation of the NHS.(That's gone well hasn't it?)
5. Instituted a culture of corporate greed and profit in The City by deregulation.(That's gone well!)
6. Increased VAT - a tax which hits the poorest hardest - from 8% to 17.5%, whilst cutting taxes for the richest (sounds familiar)
7. Did not believe in "Society" and took relish in destroying the Unions.
8. Sold off council houses.( So now we have no social housing left)
9. Section 28 ( if you don't know what this little gem is, look it up )
10. Privatised almost everything she could, from energy companies to the trains. Again, that's all gone really well hasn't it.

I hope some of these things aren't forgotten in the coming days.

To be fair, she didn't privatise the trains. Apart from that, I wouldn't argue with any of that.

For me, the die was cast on day One when she quoted (or rather misquoted) Francis of Assisi on her way in to number 10. I am sure St Francis was spinning in his grave.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Very much this. Wise words.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Totally agree.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Are you suggesting that we are the only country in the world with these problems? Can we blame her for the ills besetting so many other countries too?

There's currently much support for government policy that is hurting the absolute most vulnerable in society. For instance, yesterday (you may have missed it), saw the beginning of the end for DLA, a crucial benefit that allows many people with disabilities to WORK, but they're scroungers aren't they? So yes, I believe we have one of the most selfish societies in the world.

When I say 'we' probably I mean the southern half of the UK. But no, obviously I do not blame her for all of the ills in other countries, but that's really not the point.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

Criticize her leadership and policy all day long. Whatever your views, I can't see anyone arguing that that is wrong, or that it should not be done.

But celebrating and reveling her death, that is something else.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The truly inspirational Baroness Thatcher - RIP

although I would think the majority on here would not read it because it was from the Guardian.

Sorry, what? This is NSC!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here