Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baroness Thatcher - Dead / RIP

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Re: The truly inspirational Baroness Thatcher - RIP

I've always thought you're a sensible poster on here, wellquickwoody, but I don't understand your comment at all.

After Hillsborough, Margaret Thatcher and her government never apologised for the mistakes that cost 96 innocent Liverpool fans to lose their lives. Just a brief visit to Sheffield a couple of days after and that was that. Most of my family are from Liverpool and the memory of watching the news that day when I was young is one of immense sadness and anger that no one held their hands up and admitted they made a fatal error.

So I'm not on anything as you put it. Just still a tad bitter that the 96 fans have never got justice for going to a football match and never coming home. Ok?

If there is just one topic that you and I should NEVER discuss, it is Hillsborough. I shall move along now.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
The truly inspirational Baroness Thatcher - RIP

If we rob the rich to give to the poor, and then we stop - does that mean that we are then robbing the poor to give to the rich?

Or does it in fact just mean that we are no longer robbing people?

Wtf is that supposed to mean?

The poll tax highlights my statement. I take it you were one of the lucky ones that "made" from this tax?

Your average working class man is worse off now due to some of her policies but like I stated, now is not the time IMO!

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Wtf is that supposed to mean?

The poll tax highlights my statement. I take it you were one of the lucky ones that "made" from this tax?

Your average working class man is worse off now due to some of her policies but like I stated, now is not the time IMO!

I was talking about cutting taxes and cutting spending.

If you were referring to the Poll tax, the Poll tax did not rob the poor and give to the rich. It robbed everyone equally, and that hurt the poor more than it did the rich.

That is somewhat different from what you said though.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
R.I.P

All a bit too easy attacking MT and distateful.

“When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself.”

She was Prime Minister, she made daily decisions that cost people their lives and livelihoods. We should ALL judge her.

I am baffled why so many think it distasteful to judge or attack a world leader after they die. If you want to lead, this is the consequence. She wasn't an old lady with little in the way of memory when she died, she was the woman who privatised industries, deregulated markets, introduced right to buy etc.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes

I was talking about cutting taxes and cutting spending.

If you were referring to the Poll tax, the Poll tax did not rob the poor and give to the rich. It robbed everyone equally, and that hurt the poor more than it did the rich.

That is somewhat different from what you said though.

No, I'm refusing the bait. Thank you :)

D

Deleted member 2719

I always feared this day - not because of any great reverence that I hold for Thatcher, but it was clearly going to be a time when people were going to be dreadfully disrespectful.

As such, I've not read a word on this thread and I won't. I have renamed it appropriately however.

Is there any Mod who hasn't got a bias against Thatcher who will read this thread ? Then delete posts and ban the idiots no one deserves this.

I know we have some idiots and strong points of view on NSC which is great.............but celebrating a death.....i have never ever said this, but this is a all time low in NSC history IMO, i feel so strong about it that it i am on the verge of never using NSC again.

We do need action from our leader.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
She was Prime Minister, she made daily decisions that cost people their lives and livelihoods. We should ALL judge her.

I am baffled why so many think it distasteful to judge or attack a world leader after they die. If you want to lead, this is the consequence. She wasn't an old lady with little in the way of memory when she died, she was the woman who privatised industries, deregulated markets, introduced right to buy etc.

I have to agree with this especially the first paragraph.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is there any Mod who hasn't got a bias against Thatcher who will read this thread ? Then delete posts and ban the idiots no one deserves this.

I know we have some idiots and strong points of view on NSC which is great.............but celebrating a death.....i have never ever said this, but this is a all time low in NSC history IMO, i feel so strong about it that it i am on the verge of never using NSC again.

Drama queen.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

You paid the same amount no matter what your income and assets. It did not rob everyone equally. Proportionalty it robbed the poor and the young. Mainly because Thatcher despised them.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes

You paid the same amount no matter what your income and assets. It did not rob everyone equally. Proportionalty it robbed the poor and the young. Mainly because Thatcher despised them.

Thanks. A politer version of my thoughts ;)

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Re: The truly inspirational Baroness Thatcher - RIP

On the other hand, considering so many people experienced her as a negative and destructive force in their lives, why should they have to sit and listen to, or read, hours and hours, pages and pages, of stuff about how wonderful she was, without offering their own opinions?

If your answer is "if you don't like it, don't read it" then the same applies to you.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

Thinking about it, it seems to me that the fact that there is at least something approximating a debate on here, with both extremes of views well-represented, is quite refreshing, and probably reflects the mixed views about this controversial woman out there in the country.

Even if the standard of argument is not always high, at least there is an argument, and I certainly prefer it to the uncritical eulogises and hagiographies in the mainstream media yesterday and today. You'd certainly never know that the BBC was supposed to have a "left wing bias" from the grovelling stuff that's been pouring out of it for nearly 24 hours.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Irrespective of your own political views of the tory party she will probably go down in history as one of, if not the greatest, prime ministers of all time in this country.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Were you around in the 70s? Mulletts, big collars and 26-inch trouser-bottoms weren't the only awful things going on. You can't judge the 70s by unemployment figures, but by what it was like to go to Tescos and find out all your shopping had gone up in price during the previous week. Or that there was yet another strike somewhere with a mouthy, selfish idiot of a union leader ranting on when all he really wanted was his 15 minutes on the telly. Even Callaghan's own faithful lost confidence in him. Something needed to be done. Whether Thatcher was the right answer, is a different matter.

I'm nearly 60, so I was very much around in the 70s. I remember it differently from you, however, as a fairer, gentler more equal society. Inflation was indeed quite high, but that largely originated in the oil price hikes of the early 80s. One advantage of strong unions was that they managed to negotiate wage increases which took account of inflation, so that they were still able to afford their shopping in Tescos. Compare that to the present time, post-Thatcher, where unions are so weak that most working people's real wages have been falling for the past five years.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes

I'm nearly 60, so I was very much around in the 70s. I remember it differently from you, however, as a fairer, gentler more equal society. Inflation was indeed quite high, but that largely originated in the oil price hikes of the early 80s. One advantage of strong unions was that they managed to negotiate wage increases which took account of inflation, so that they were still able to afford their shopping in Tescos. Compare that to the present time, post-Thatcher, where unions are so weak that most working people's real wages have been falling for the past five years.

Apart from gaining minor benefits trade unions may as well be defunct! The Iron Lady pretty much took away your right to speak as an employee. Wage negotiations these are are based on a take it or leave it attitude.
Health and safety is taken much more seriously these days but that's just because of a compensation culture that exists.

She certainly changed Britain in many ways making it very tough for the have nots. If you were in a fairly strong financial position when she came to power then it's likely you were a strong supporter. If you were starting out in life when she took the reigns then you probably despise what she stood for.

I have always worked my socks off to get what I have which is something she would have respected. I just wish she could have made it a bit easier for me in the beginning.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
"Sir Edward Gibbon (1737-1794), author of The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, wrote tellingly of the collapse of Athens, which was the birthplace of democracy. He judged that, in the end, more than they wanted freedom, the Athenians wanted security. Yet they lost everything—security, comfort, and freedom. This was because they wanted not to give to society, but for society to give to them. The freedom they were seeking was freedom from responsibility. It is no wonder, then, that they ceased to be free. In the modern world, we should recall the Athenians’ dire fate whenever we confront demands for increased state paternalism."

- Margaret Thatcher (1995)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here