Baroness Thatcher - Dead / RIP

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Brilliant leader, fantastic British icon, will never be replaced or emulated. The only thing she ever did wrong was the selling of council housing, apart from that a truly awesome PM.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
It's interesting that people talk about her policies not being popular but yet she won three general elections.

History would suggest her policies were popular.

No, they weren't. It's just that Labour policies were more unpopular and people still remembered the disastrous Labour policies and the dire economic situation they had brought us to. The Conservatives always have to sort out the financial mess that Labour Governments leave behind them. Labour always has to regenerate social policies that the Tories cut back on. It's how our two-party system works and it seems to be the only way we balance social policy and State financial prudence. It would be a better balance if there was a legitimate third party which had that balance within its own policies.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Playing devil's advocate for a second here, I find myself wondering whether history would have judged her the same if she'd been male.

Probably not, but then, she brought feminine housekeeping into the State arena. If you can't afford it, you can't buy for it. If you have an overdraft, you can't keep spending. And State spending had gone through the roof.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
I wish people would stop praising her for having courage of her conviction.

A good politician listens to arguments and experts on matters which they have little knowledge.

Then decides on the best policies after a period of reflection.

Thatcher just attacked problems like a cow in a china shop - making her mind up quickly and then refusing to back down even when she was proved to be wrong.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
I wish people would stop praising her for having courage of her conviction.

A good politician listens to arguments and experts on matters which they have little knowledge.

Then decides on the best policies after a period of reflection.

Thatcher just attacked problems like a cow in a china shop - making her mind up quickly and then refusing to back down even when she was proved to be wrong.

Its amazing, I am a little shocked at some of the things I'm hearing about Margaret Thatcher today. Apparently she won the Cold War, put the Great back into Britain and was a champion for women's rights????

Here are 10 reasons why I am no supporter of hers. (and yeah, hide your eyes you sensitive flowers, I'm glad she is gone).

1. She denounced Mandela as a terrorist and supported sanction busting trade links with the racist South African government.
2. She supported Pinochet, Saddam Hussein and General Suharto.
3. The Poll tax
4. Started the privatisation of the NHS.(That's gone well hasn't it?)
5. Instituted a culture of corporate greed and profit in The City by deregulation.(That's gone well!)
6. Increased VAT - a tax which hits the poorest hardest - from 8% to 17.5%, whilst cutting taxes for the richest (sounds familiar)
7. Did not believe in "Society" and took relish in destroying the Unions.
8. Sold off council houses.( So now we have no social housing left)
9. Section 28 ( if you don't know what this little gem is, look it up )
10. Privatised almost everything she could, from energy companies to the trains. Again, that's all gone really well hasn't it.

I hope some of these things aren't forgotten in the coming days.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Learn your politics and history.
Generalist drivel.

What an absolutely daft statement. Some of us were around at the time, remember how it affected us, read about it in the Mirror, Times, wherever, watched Question Time and Spitting Image and don't need to learn politics and history from t'internet. The country was in an absolute mess when Thatcher came to power.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
What an absolutely daft statement. Some of us were around at the time, remember how it affected us, read about it in the Mirror, Times, wherever, watched Question Time and Spitting Image and don't need to learn politics and history from t'internet. The country was in an absolute mess when Thatcher came to power.

Agree it was in absolute mess when she came to power.

But it was even worse after she left.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
or more accurately after she was stabbed in the back by her own party!

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
seventies?

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Complete tosh. Unemployment got no higher than 1.4m under Labour in 1979 (considerably lower than it is today, by the way). It then shot up from 1979 onwards, under Thatcher, peaking at 3.2m in 1984 (more than twice as high as under Labour). It was Thatcher who got it up to over 3m. She then gradually reduced it, but only at the cost of pushing hundreds of thousands of people off the unemployment count onto disability benefits.

Were you around in the 70s? Mulletts, big collars and 26-inch trouser-bottoms weren't the only awful things going on. You can't judge the 70s by unemployment figures, but by what it was like to go to Tescos and find out all your shopping had gone up in price during the previous week. Or that there was yet another strike somewhere with a mouthy, selfish idiot of a union leader ranting on when all he really wanted was his 15 minutes on the telly. Even Callaghan's own faithful lost confidence in him. Something needed to be done. Whether Thatcher was the right answer, is a different matter.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Its amazing, I am a little shocked at some of the things I'm hearing about Margaret Thatcher today. Apparently she won the Cold War, put the Great back into Britain and was a champion for women's rights????

Here are 10 reasons why I am no supporter of hers. (and yeah, hide your eyes you sensitive flowers, I'm glad she is gone).

1. She denounced Mandela as a terrorist and supported sanction busting trade links with the racist South African government.
2. She supported Pinochet, Saddam Hussein and General Suharto.
3. The Poll tax
4. Started the privatisation of the NHS.(That's gone well hasn't it?)
5. Instituted a culture of corporate greed and profit in The City by deregulation.(That's gone well!)
6. Increased VAT - a tax which hits the poorest hardest - from 8% to 17.5%, whilst cutting taxes for the richest (sounds familiar)
7. Did not believe in "Society" and took relish in destroying the Unions.
8. Sold off council houses.( So now we have no social housing left)
9. Section 28 ( if you don't know what this little gem is, look it up )
10. Privatised almost everything she could, from energy companies to the trains. Again, that's all gone really well hasn't it.

I hope some of these things aren't forgotten in the coming days.

Why? It's only other peoples opinion's, other people are entitled to their opinions on this and other subjects, as indeed you are.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
Why? It's only other peoples opinion's, other people are entitled to their opinions on this and other subjects, as indeed you are.

Yeah, I'm shocked at other peoples opinions. Thats it. I know they are entitled to them. So what? Thanks for stating the bleedin obvious.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
A day off work....She never done nothing for this country except bloody ruin in. She ruined communities by shutting down the coal industry, she shut down all our car industry and the railways are only just starting to recover now after the measly funding she put in.
I am going out on the piss now to celebrate. It's the best day of the year so far now that evil person has died.

The great irony is that the left wing brigade bemoaned shutting down of coal mines back then.

Now it's the left wingers of society who bemoan governments who won't shut down coal mines.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
The truly inspirational Baroness Thatcher - RIP

I will never understand why she robbed from the poor and gave to the rich but nonetheless her family deserve to mourn her passing without a witch hunt going on right now.

RIP Maggie

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I will never understand why she robbed from the poor and gave to the rich but nonetheless her family deserve to mourn her passing without a witch hunt going on right now.

RIP Maggie

If we rob the rich to give to the poor, and then we stop - does that mean that we are then robbing the poor to give to the rich?

Or does it in fact just mean that we are no longer robbing people?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Does anyone else remember a clip shown on Have I got news for you of Thatcher doing some PR thing in a supermarket? She picked up a few groceries and went to the till, gave her credit card to the young girl there who then asked what she always asks in her job, 'Do you have any other ID?'. Supermarket bosses guffawed and squirmed, said there was no need for that this time. Thatch raised her voice and berated the poor girl saying something like 'IF you think I'm taking these things back.'
I'd love to see it again. Summed up perfectly for me what she though of ordinary people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports