Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baroness Thatcher - Dead / RIP

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Random, thought I had better post post! Remember the Grand bombing well, she was full on 'two fingers up' to the the tea caddies brigade, proverbial bollox in the face of adversity. Nothing to do with her politics per say, standing up to bully boys!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I see her policies have ravaged Scotland so badly champagne corks are being popped in St. George's Square. Champagne!

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Re: The truly inspirational Baroness Thatcher - RIP

Agree,with the first part...like allowing the working class to buy their own homes,lowering taxes,taking the power from the unions who were blackmailing the country,giving companies more power to sell abroad....anyone who rejoices at the death of a British politician must take a long hard look at themselves...I hated everything that idiot Blair and Brown did to this country....but I would never wish their death. I worked under the union because it was the only way to get work...but their restricted practices were killing off our exports and production.

This post will never do..... its far too considered and balanced.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Having hated her throughout my life , i've now grown up economically and wish Cameron possessed just a fraction of her leadership skills. What a bed wetting dithering visionless tool he is.

I agree with this. The one thing she did have was conviction and she never wavered in what she believed in. Cameron works with his hands tied behind Clegg's back. Cameron should stand up for what he believes in, and get on with it.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I don't know enough about the state of our country in 70s to suggest that there were alternatives to how she acted and what she acted upon. Whether our mining industry was salvageable and so on.

I don't feel a great deal of sorrow as she lived such a long and fulfilled life.

To be fair, the unions had such a grip at the time, and made such expensive demands, that the commodities produced had become over-expensive. To this day, apparently, the miner's union has millions still in the bank (donated by people during the strike), which it doesn't know what to do with. Union demands of the 70s were like the benefits demands of today. Too expensive for the country to afford.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Selfish values or a massive determination to better what was a stuttering, faltering mess of a country?

Not selfish values. She believed that the individual was quite capable of looking after themselves. Hence, she lowered income tax, but raised indirect taxation, in the belief that individual people could choose what to buy, and thus, which taxes to pay. And the country was in a mess. My mortgage rate had gone up to 16%. Compare that to today's rate. The price of bread had been going up weekly, daily sometimes. I used to pass Leicester Square during the binmen's strike, and it was 20 feet high in uncollected rubbish. Bodies went unburied. Striking was a British pastime which Thatcher determined should stop. It's one of the reasons Greece is in trouble today, that the unions their have strikes at a drop of a hat. The unions had to be curbed. Unfortunately, that destroyed Britain's manufacturing industry. We could argue over whether Thatcher destroyed British manufacturing, or whether the unions did.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Her legacy will be that she was the most divisive politician in living memory.

Loathed the woman but can't say I'm rejoicing at her death. I suspect the fawning tributes to her will pour in and we'll have to endure protracted media coverage of her nefarious son and racist daughter.

She divided the country between those who are willing to work hard and get on by their own efforts, and those who are willing to get on by the efforts of others.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
To be fair, the unions had such a grip at the time, and made such expensive demands, that the commodities produced had become over-expensive. To this day, apparently, the miner's union has millions still in the bank (donated by people during the strike), which it doesn't know what to do with. Union demands of the 70s were like the benefits demands of today. Too expensive for the country to afford.

Really, how and where does it say that about the millions the miners still have?

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
Did the Daily Mail tell you to say that?

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
What, by selling off all our industries, council houses and taking milk from school kids? Yeh great fecking job she did there. She is the reason this country is in the state it is now. By the way it's 'Britain' not Briton

Selling off the council houses was the most disastrous thing she did. Apart from opening the door for France to own our electricity and Spain to own our airports. But hindsight is a great thing.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
She wasnt perfect, but who is, she's sold off the utilities and they ended up in foreign hands, she sold off Council houses without building replacement ones, she all but destroyed regional commercial TV by changing the law, but when she came to power this country was heading into obilvion and to a degree she turned things round including standing up to the likes of Scargill, but for me the most significant thing was when the IRA tried to murder her, she stood on that beach in her nightie and made a stand against terrorism, for all her faults perhaps we should remember that today.

And when you look at the state of this country today I think Messrs Blair, Brown and Cameron should shoulder far more blame.

Spot on.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Should mention that a lot of Scousers on Twitter are rejoicing her death, obviously to do with Hillsborough. But if anyone was rejoicing at the death of a Hillsborough victim (and im certainly not), then they would be up in arms - its not right.

No, not Hillsborough, but the Toxteth riots.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
No, it is entirely right. The Hillsborough victims were just that - victims. She was a self-serving and evil ideologist.

I never liked her at the time, and never voted for her, but I do not think she was either self-serving or evil. Whether one agreed with her policies or not (and I disagreed with most of them) she did what she did for the country, not for herself. Unlike the lily-livered politicians of today with their eye on the main chance, and their networking with lobby groups and international companies.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Absolute nonsense. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Actually, pork pie is talking sense about miners. I met one who was well in the thick of everything in the seventies and he said his life improved no end when he lost his mining job. Those that got off their bums and went to look for work or re-training, did very well. Those that moped about blaming Thatcher for everything (instead of Scargill) and expecting the State to sort them out presided over dying communities they could have helped to rebuild.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here