Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baroness Thatcher - Dead / RIP

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
It is interesting to see some of the rosy tinted perspectives that all was sweetness and light before Mrs. T came to power in '79. The country was in a similar financial mess to now. We had been bailed out by the IMF. Many traditional industries were seriously uncompetitive, lacking in investment, hugely loss making, wildly inefficient and overstaffed while beset by all sorts of spanish practices. Old Labour was a busted flush because it had indulged the unions for years and effectively painted itself into a corner.

Unions just wanted to protect jobs and perpetuate many archaic practices. Callaghan looked impotent. The new dawn(s) under Foot and Kinnock etc never happened. It was a desperate, desperate situation. Labour and the Unions effectively created a fast track for Mrs. T. to come in and dismantle the mess. Mrs. T didn't really have much choice. The country was in need of decisive action. It wasn't nice and quite bloody but needed to resuscitate a dying patient.

Life was hard for most voters but Labour compounded this by then failing to capitalise on the potential re-bound when Mrs. T's policies hit home. Ironically she might just have been toast in '82 but for the Argies giving her a chance to become a political legend.

Those that wish Mrs. T hadn't been elected might ponder the alternative ie if Labour had gained another term in '79. Labour were so in the pockets of the Unions who in turn were so entrenched on the far left that the drastic actions required would probably have never happened. As a Labour party member and union Rep at that time I recall all the passionate rhetoric but looking back now I fear that another 4 years of the same could have bankrupted the country or at best left it so marginalised and potentially more jobs would have been lost and even greater misery created. Would have made the recent Greek crisis seem like a small blip. The Labour party could have been in oblivion.

It is ironic that no one on any side has learned from all of this. Here we are 30 odd years later and sitting in the midst of another mess largely created by a Labour govt. All the 'feel good factor' based on cheap credit that Blair/Brown/Balls spectacularly failed to reign in, indulged the bankers, plundered pension funds and left the coffers spent. OK the coalition is doing its best to make an even bigger cock-up of things but I really despair of the Labour party. Miliband has ideals but is a powder puff politician. There is no real political spectrum these days to set them apart because they all occupy similar ground. Mrs. T seems such a political heavyweight compared to todays lightweights. No wonder that political apathy rules ok.

Good post.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It is interesting to see some of the rosy tinted perspectives that all was sweetness and light before Mrs. T came to power in '79. The country was in a similar financial mess to now. We had been bailed out by the IMF. Many traditional industries were seriously uncompetitive, lacking in investment, hugely loss making, wildly inefficient and overstaffed while beset by all sorts of spanish practices. Old Labour was a busted flush because it had indulged the unions for years and effectively painted itself into a corner.

Unions just wanted to protect jobs and perpetuate many archaic practices. Callaghan looked impotent. The new dawn(s) under Foot and Kinnock etc never happened. It was a desperate, desperate situation. Labour and the Unions effectively created a fast track for Mrs. T. to come in and dismantle the mess. Mrs. T didn't really have much choice. The country was in need of decisive action. It wasn't nice and quite bloody but needed to resuscitate a dying patient.

Life was hard for most voters but Labour compounded this by then failing to capitalise on the potential re-bound when Mrs. T's policies hit home. Ironically she might just have been toast in '82 but for the Argies giving her a chance to become a political legend.

Those that wish Mrs. T hadn't been elected might ponder the alternative ie if Labour had gained another term in '79. Labour were so in the pockets of the Unions who in turn were so entrenched on the far left that the drastic actions required would probably have never happened. As a Labour party member and union Rep at that time I recall all the passionate rhetoric but looking back now I fear that another 4 years of the same could have bankrupted the country or at best left it so marginalised and potentially more jobs would have been lost and even greater misery created. Would have made the recent Greek crisis seem like a small blip. The Labour party could have been in oblivion.

It is ironic that no one on any side has learned from all of this. Here we are 30 odd years later and sitting in the midst of another mess largely created by a Labour govt. All the 'feel good factor' based on cheap credit that Blair/Brown/Balls spectacularly failed to reign in, indulged the bankers, plundered pension funds and left the coffers spent. OK the coalition is doing its best to make an even bigger cock-up of things but I really despair of the Labour party. Miliband has ideals but is a powder puff politician. There is no real political spectrum these days to set them apart because they all occupy similar ground. Mrs. T seems such a political heavyweight compared to todays lightweights. No wonder that political apathy rules ok.

What this suggests to me is that neither major party is equipped to govern the country with anything remotely resembling fairness.

Although both are well qualified to line their own pockets and the pockets of the mates and sponsors and will continue to do so while we all continue to argue about right and left.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Probably a senior moment BF.......... i daresay normal service will be resumed soon eh. :wink::D

In death, Maggie has bought us together, it is a beautiful thing, I can see a Hollywood feelgood movie in this.:kiss:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
What this suggests to me is that neither major party is equipped to govern the country with anything remotely resembling fairness.

Although both are well qualified to line their own pockets and the pockets of the mates and sponsors and will continue to do so while we all continue to argue about right and left.

Bugger....i must agree again. I'd best go to bed....... i'm not up for making it a hatrick.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Think of Thatcher however you want. One thing is fact. She counted more in her life than many on here, supporters or detractors, spitefull fools or suppine bum lickers will ever count in theirs! She'll be remembered by history. We all take a bit part so have your say all of you and reflect in the mirror.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
The truly inspirational Baroness Thatcher - RIP

Spot on. Best and most enlightened post on this thread.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I hope not the man who gave in to The IRA complete and utter wa@@er i lost 2 relatives to those mudering scum.If there is someone to hate it's him.

With respect to your loss, if the fragile " peace " we have now had not been brokered, how many hundreds more Police, Army and civilian lives would have been lost ?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

Correct. Each party has its own vested interests and will favour it's financial supporters. Always been the case and it's naive to hope otherwise. The poor average man / woman in the street feels disconnected and can't really rely on any of them to serve their best interests. Apathy at the ballot box. You can see why some punters are attracted to UKIP because they offer a slightly different (if rather shallow) perspective and maybe a potential chance for a protest vote. Does make you wonder if someone had the energy, vision and clout they could be a maverick alternative that might just spark some interest. But they would still need to be bankrolled by someone who would expect a return on their 'investment'.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The truly inspirational Baroness Thatcher - RIP

The thread most of NSC have been waiting for...

50 pages

NSC was the first thing I thought of when I heard the news. To be honest, I couldn't contain my indifference about an old lady dying, but I was interested to note my own thought process, such are the wildly opposing views towards her that are expressed on here.

To be honest I'm a little disappointed that it wasn't the same day as a play-off final defeat to Palace, as many posters wouldn't know what to think in that situation.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Well no one told me about her, the way she lied
Well no one told me about her, how many people cried
But it's too late to say you're sorry
How would I know why should I care
Please don't bother tryin' to find her
She' not there.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I still blame Ron Greenwood for our poor showing in the 1982 World Cup, England have never recovered since. Over 30 years ago, i suppose after today's news it is ok to take the blame back that far.

We were never beaten in 82......... Poor analogy.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
To be fair, I expected much worse than there has been.

Oddly, I rather expected to see the usual political heavyweight NSCers slugging it out but it seems they have enough respect over the death of a frail, elderly, dementia sufferer to stay away.

I've not got involved because I have respect for NSC.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
As a child of the late 80's I am happily oblivious to the apparent turmoil of the late 70's/early 80's, but some of the posts on this thread have made me feel ill.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Very true. The woman was undeniably an impressively driven individual. Just a shame the policies she was so determined to drive through were based on such appallingly selfish values.
Agree,with the first part...like allowing the working class to buy their own homes,lowering taxes,taking the power from the unions who were blackmailing the country,giving companies more power to sell abroad....anyone who rejoices at the death of a British politician must take a long hard look at themselves...I hated everything that idiot Blair and Brown did to this country....but I would never wish their death. I worked under the union because it was the only way to get work...but their restricted practices were killing off our exports and production.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here