Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baroness Thatcher - Dead / RIP

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Try as I might I can't bring myself to agree with a murderer such as Gerry Adams :

"Margaret Thatcher did great hurt to the Irish and British people during her time as prime minister. Working class communities were devastated in Britain because of her policies. Her role in international affairs was equally belligerent whether in support of the Chilean dictator Pinochet, her opposition to sanctions against Apartheid South Africa; and her support for the Khmer Rouge. Here in Ireland her espousal of old draconian militaristic policies prolonged the war and caused great suffering."

Or a complete Tosspot like Morrissey :

"Thatcher will only be fondly remembered by sentimentalists who did not suffer under her leadership, but the majority of British working people have forgotten her already, and the people of Argentina will be celebrating her death. As a matter of recorded fact, Thatcher was a terror without an atom of humanity."

So I'll settle for RIP Mrs Thatcher, you were an historic leader.

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Just what are you on?

I've always thought you're a sensible poster on here, wellquickwoody, but I don't understand your comment at all.

After Hillsborough, Margaret Thatcher and her government never apologised for the mistakes that cost 96 innocent Liverpool fans to lose their lives. Just a brief visit to Sheffield a couple of days after and that was that. Most of my family are from Liverpool and the memory of watching the news that day when I was young is one of immense sadness and anger that no one held their hands up and admitted they made a fatal error.

So I'm not on anything as you put it. Just still a tad bitter that the 96 fans have never got justice for going to a football match and never coming home. Ok?

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
Try as I might I can't bring myself to agree with a murderer such as Gerry Adams :

"Margaret Thatcher did great hurt to the Irish and British people during her time as prime minister. Working class communities were devastated in Britain because of her policies. Her role in international affairs was equally belligerent whether in support of the Chilean dictator Pinochet, her opposition to sanctions against Apartheid South Africa; and her support for the Khmer Rouge. Here in Ireland her espousal of old draconian militaristic policies prolonged the war and caused great suffering."

Or a complete Tosspot like Morrissey :

"Thatcher will only be fondly remembered by sentimentalists who did not suffer under her leadership, but the majority of British working people have forgotten her already, and the people of Argentina will be celebrating her death. As a matter of recorded fact, Thatcher was a terror without an atom of humanity."

So I'll settle for RIP Mrs Thatcher, you were an historic leader.

Weird feeling, I depise both Adams and Morrisey, but can't find much wrong with any of those quotes!!!!!!!!!!!! Gulp!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He isn't and all this will no doubt be repeated when Bliar passes away.

I doubt it very much. There is much more hatred for Thatcher. Much more.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I think many people will look back in horror on what they have posted today

Yeah, so much for civil society. Celebrating someones death used to be the province of barbaric, backward, bigoted, violent, oppressive societies.

Then again, perhaps it still is.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I've always thought you're a sensible poster on here, wellquickwoody, but I don't understand your comment at all.

After Hillsborough, Margaret Thatcher and her government never apologised for the mistakes that cost 96 innocent Liverpool fans to lose their lives. Just a brief visit to Sheffield a couple of days after and that was that. Most of my family are from Liverpool and the memory of watching the news that day when I was young is one of immense sadness and anger that no one held their hands up and admitted they made a fatal error.

So I'm not on anything as you put it. Just still a tad bitter that the 96 fans have never got justice for going to a football match and never coming home. Ok?

A travesty. At long last the truth has come out. Many should hang their heads in shame, the police are the main culprits, closely followed by reporters.
I think pinning to much blame on Thatcher is slightly wrong. I suppose like many, she believed the police reports. Also she would have people in her cabinet to deal with this tragedy. How about Sir Bernard Ingham eh.
v7fe50.jpg

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
It is interesting to see some of the rosy tinted perspectives that all was sweetness and light before Mrs. T came to power in '79. The country was in a similar financial mess to now. We had been bailed out by the IMF. Many traditional industries were seriously uncompetitive, lacking in investment, hugely loss making, wildly inefficient and overstaffed while beset by all sorts of spanish practices. Old Labour was a busted flush because it had indulged the unions for years and effectively painted itself into a corner.

Unions just wanted to protect jobs and perpetuate many archaic practices. Callaghan looked impotent. The new dawn(s) under Foot and Kinnock etc never happened. It was a desperate, desperate situation. Labour and the Unions effectively created a fast track for Mrs. T. to come in and dismantle the mess. Mrs. T didn't really have much choice. The country was in need of decisive action. It wasn't nice and quite bloody but needed to resuscitate a dying patient.

Life was hard for most voters but Labour compounded this by then failing to capitalise on the potential re-bound when Mrs. T's policies hit home. Ironically she might just have been toast in '82 but for the Argies giving her a chance to become a political legend.

Those that wish Mrs. T hadn't been elected might ponder the alternative ie if Labour had gained another term in '79. Labour were so in the pockets of the Unions who in turn were so entrenched on the far left that the drastic actions required would probably have never happened. As a Labour party member and union Rep at that time I recall all the passionate rhetoric but looking back now I fear that another 4 years of the same could have bankrupted the country or at best left it so marginalised and potentially more jobs would have been lost and even greater misery created. Would have made the recent Greek crisis seem like a small blip. The Labour party could have been in oblivion.

It is ironic that no one on any side has learned from all of this. Here we are 30 odd years later and sitting in the midst of another mess largely created by a Labour govt. All the 'feel good factor' based on cheap credit that Blair/Brown/Balls spectacularly failed to reign in, indulged the bankers, plundered pension funds and left the coffers spent. OK the coalition is doing its best to make an even bigger cock-up of things but I really despair of the Labour party. Miliband has ideals but is a powder puff politician. There is no real political spectrum these days to set them apart because they all occupy similar ground. Mrs. T seems such a political heavyweight compared to todays lightweights. No wonder that political apathy rules ok.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland

I'd be very surprised if this were the case, Blair did **** up no doubt on Iraq, but that did not inspire half the country to hate his guts, a quarter maybe!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Blair. Brown, Major, even Diddy David Cameron will not have the same amount of hyperbole when they croak, they are all blokes that ran the country rather than someone who flogged off everything and rode roughshod over whoever she wanted to. All this now being portrayed as " Having the courage of her beliefs and the determination to see it through " or realistically, carrying on regardless of how much harm you do even when what you are doing is wrong,
the Poll Tax being a good example.
Do you remember the huge anti government riots and protests that cost untold injuries and damage ? Thousands of normally peaceable people were driven to that by her intransigence. At that time I was in a 2 bed mid terrace and my rates were £220 a year, Mrs T caused that to rise to £620.

When Blair goes all we will hear is "Oh, he died did he ? "

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

I hate Blair as much as anyone, but celebrating his death would be childish and cowardly.

I'll see him in Hell.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
The truly inspirational Baroness Thatcher - RIP

....I'm sorry, it's just that woman makes my skin crawl :kiss: :bhasign:

No need for apologies, the woman was vile, as are most politicians. It just makes me chuckle the left and right wing voters getting so het up over their perspective political party's when behind doors most M.P's couldn't give a rats ass about any of us. All they care about is their standing in their own party and gaining favour and cash, as shown in the expenses scandal. There are good ones, but not many.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I still blame Ron Greenwood for our poor showing in the 1982 World Cup, England have never recovered since. Over 30 years ago, i suppose after today's news it is ok to take the blame back that far.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Blair. Brown, Major, even Diddy David Cameron will not have the same amount of hyperbole when they croak, they are all blokes that ran the country rather than someone who flogged off everything and rode roughshod over whoever she wanted to. All this now being portrayed as " Having the courage of her beliefs and the determination to see it through " or realistically, carrying on regardless of how much harm you do even when what you are doing is wrong,
the Poll Tax being a good example.
Do you remember the huge anti government riots and protests that cost untold injuries and damage ? Thousands of normally peaceable people were driven to that by her intransigence. At that time I was in a 2 bed mid terrace and my rates were £220 a year, Mrs T caused that to rise to £620.

When Blair goes all we will hear is "Oh, he died did he ? "
I hope not the man who gave in to The IRA complete and utter wa@@er i lost 2 relatives to those mudering scum.If there is someone to hate it's him.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Out of interest how old are people who refer to "reds"? Sounds like a lesson in McCarthyism from school history. Also wondering if anyone liked Thatcher and Blair seeing as many saw him as her rightful ideological heir and he was too rightwing for lots of lefties

I can't stand either, does that count?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here