Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baroness Thatcher - Dead / RIP

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Only to be expected from the Mirror.

If you read the Guardian tomorrow it will be a watered down thinly veiled version of it. Lack of class

I think the lack of class is your own seeming inability to accept that people might have opinions that differ from your own and have the right to express them.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The mines were viable, there's plenty of documented evidence for it that is widely available on the internet. Taking on the miners was nothing to do with the economics of the mining industry. Try reading about the Ridley Plan.

I have spent time in areas that were former mining communities, and your comments about miners and mining families does not sound remotely like my experience.
Nearly every mining community met the targets set by Heseltine on productivity and then Thatcher gave the Notts miners the wink that if they went back their jobs would be safe. Well ha fecking ha because she shafted them as well and shut them down later.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Problem is that you make it sound like for the whole of the 70s the dead went unburied and the rubbish not collected. The gravediggers strike in 1979 only last two weeks.
There is a body of thought that Nixon wanted Britain to send troops to support America in Vietnam,when Wilson refused,Nixon made it his buisness to trash our economy. I dont know if this is true, but it could explain Blair's enthusiasm for Iraq and Afghan adventures.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
"Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frederic Bastiat

MT was one of the only British politicians willing to tell the British people that the government cannot do better for them, than they can do for themselves. What the government promises to give to you, it will take from someone else. What it promises to someone else, it will take from you. She was one of the only British politicians who believed that the government should promise you nothing but the freedom to live your life and make for yourself what you will. We need more like her.

RIP Maggie.

What a load of crap. Was that written when you were in kindergarten? She said there was no such thing as society, merely individuals and families. She implied you do what you can for yourself and if you want you can do something for those less fortunate. Hardly a christian outlook on life!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Can't be arsed and not going to read though 21 pages, of which i'm guessing half the posts are by people to young to know, what an amazing woman she was. This country was on it's knees under Labour in the 70's. Electric on for an hour a day, three day week, unemployment hitting three million, the unions holding the country to ransom. Something had to change and someone had to have, balls the size of an Elephant to see the job through. Sure she made mistakes, everyone in history has. But make no mistake she was a fantastic Prime Minister and a fantastic English woman, who took no shit from no one....R.I.P Maggie, she is probably pleased to have gone, when she looked at the state her once proud country is in today.

Wasn't the 3 day week under Heath?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Right - so everyone in the north disagreed with her?

A very sizeable majority did. In every northern local newspaper you will find similar comments to this one ->

"Thatcher was the worst thing to happen to this country since World War 2 ended. I seriously believe that the current screwed up state of the economy and the mess many of us are in hail back to Thatcher's reign of terror. Yes. I WAS there. Those who think the 1980's were "great" are either Tories or weren't even born then. I had to grow up through the 80's. It was utterly miserable, most of it thanks to Thatcher. I left school in 1989. Yeah... I remember myself and my classmates feeling real optimistic about leaving school - NOT. There were no jobs to go to, the choice was either further education or the hateful slave labour scheme known as the YTS. And then she committed her biggest mistake - the Poll Tax. EVERYBODY aged 18 and above were expected to pay that which was ridiculous because barely any of us had any money whatsoever. That thankfully got rid of her and we were then stuck with John Major for 7 years. Ghastly.

Let me put it this way to the handful of Thatcher lovers here. Remember Grimsby in 1979? I do. Freeman Street was thriving. The market was full, packed out every Saturday. Believe it or not, Freemo was actually vibrant. There were still many boats and activity in the docks. Within a few years, the docks were almost empty, and Freemo fell into terminal decline thanks largely to the effects of Thatcherism. I know. I WAS THERE. I saw and witnessed it all. It was utterly depressing."

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Re: Baroness Thatcher - RIP

Well, i am reasonably pleased.

You should hang your head in shame, and in a future time you will reflect on what a truly poor thing to write upon a public forum that was.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Surely someone has got banned today for abusing the passing of our once dear leader

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
David Cameron has just sent his official letter tothe Thatcher residence.

It starts, "I regret to inform you, that due to recent events, you now have too many bedrooms....."

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
"Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frederic Bastiat

MT was one of the only British politicians willing to tell the British people that the government cannot do better for them, than they can do for themselves. What the government promises to give to you, it will take from someone else. What it promises to someone else, it will take from you. She was one of the only British politicians who believed that the government should promise you nothing but the freedom to live your life and make for yourself what you will. We need more like her.

RIP Maggie.

Yes, MT believed that you should not be nannied by the state and rightly ensured that emphasis should be on you finding work. OK it wasn't easy but if you made the effort and got on your bike etc etc. Yes her decisive policies caused great pain especially for workers in failing industries that the country could not afford to prop up. But as is still the case now there was work for those willing to make the effort to go out and find it. I can remember going on a series of national training courses around 1982-84 and mixing with punters from across the UK including many from deprived areas. It dispelled some of the myths of a north / south divide when I saw how many of my peers from the north had ridiculously cheap housing, owned newish cars and were taking foreign holidays while most of us from the south were crippled by huge mortgage payments, many colleagues could not think of owning a property, could barely afford a car (I went without for several years) and certainly didn't have a foreign holiday.

I was a union rep at that time and there was so much emphasis from senior officials at national level on out of date extreme left wing views and creating industrial strife to spite the government and far too little on actually helping the plight of union members. I can remember fellow union members gradually tiring of all the left wing rhetoric yet in our hearts we were natural lefties, but the union's hierarchy seemed so out of touch because their strings were being pulled at national level. The thing that struck me was that if Mrs T was really that unpopular then why didn't old Labour catch the voters on the rebound - but instead New Labour chose to move way to the right.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If she hadn't sold our silver he wouldn't have had to flog the gold.

:lolol:
I wonder if we'll ever find out how much was actually lost on "Black Monday" as Lamont tried to prop up the £

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
What marvellous news to wake-up to - STREETPARTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Usual levels of hypocritical nonsense from the Uber-right on here. I'm sure we all remember how "resepectful" they were in regard to Michael Foot or the recent Mandela thread.

As far as I am concerned she was an evil curse on our country who tried to destroy the achievements that working people won post-1945 and promoted the culture of greed and exploitation and if the FA or anyone else tries to impose any minute's silences they can stick it.

Have you seen the recent film 'Spirit of 45'? Very interesting, it looks at the point you are making about the cultural shift from consensus to greed. Well worth watching.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here