Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baroness Thatcher - Dead / RIP

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
she did say:

"A man who, beyond the age of 26, finds himself on a bus can count himself as a failure."

Something I think of every time I get the bus to the Amex

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
Exactly, but not to some of the the bitter little left wingers on here obviously.

Hadn't realised it but I guess I must be a bitter little left winger! Never wish any one dead but I can't say I'm sorry to see her go. I am one of the ones who lived through the entire Thatcher period as a tax paying grown up. She ruined the country - she developed and promulgated the 'I want it and I want it now' way of thinking. Interest rates of 16%! She politicised the Police and got them to do her dirty work during the miner's strike and she changed so many things for the worse. For example, she played to people's greed by encouraging them to buy shares in the raft of service industries she privatised. For the sake of working class people being able to get £300 worth of shares in gas, electricity, water, she quadrupled the Chief execs salaries overnight and turned each supplier into a profit first, customer at the bottom of the list company. Do you think they would be making such huge profits out of us if they were still Nationalised? And even if they were, at least those profits would be relieving the national debt rather than lining the pockets of her cronies. Nasty evil witch - good riddance!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Baroness Thatcher - RIP

Exactly. That is her real legacy. In her tenure, the Labour party became unelectable. Once John Smith died and the way was clear for Tony Blair and his team to get to work, the left was abandoned, any division between the main parties disappeared and we were all sold on the idea that this was a young progressive leader who would usher in a new dawn.
They had no hesitation in abandoning all the principles that the party had been formed around. It was new conservatism rather than new labour. They adopted the American attitude of ' more style less substance ' and spin became the buzz word.
Inadvertently she had helped to create the new politician. Younger, more attractive and hell-bent on ensuring their own agenda was firmly in place, at the expense of the interests of the electorate.
This is what we have now. Faceless, characterless civil servants. No experience and no nous. A pack of lemmings towing the party line and a disillusioned electorate. No divide between right and left anymore just a mass of grey suits in the middle. All indistinguishable from each other.
Just like Churchill, she was loved and loathed in equal measure. Just like Churchill, she found her forte in wartime leadership. Just like Churchill, she turned vast swathes of the electorate against her, with her policies and ideals.
These are the two leaders who have divided opinion more than any others and will still be talked about in 100 years time.

What a good post. Thoughtful stuff.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I like the way that US politics limits any individual to two consecutive terms. I think that is a very sensible restraint. It’s a pity that we do not have something similar in the UK. Both Thatcher and Blair outstayed their welcome in their third terms.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Hoora... Nope, can't do it.

Anyways, I only read to page 5, can anyone tell me if [MENTION=23440]Seagull58[/MENTION] has got himself banned yet? :wink:

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
1979 - 43.9% of the vote
1983 - 42.4% of the vote
1987 - 42.2% of the vote

As an aside
Blair in 1997 got 43.2%
Cameron in 2010 got 36.1%

She was electorially very very popular.

But remember she was the most unpopular Prime Minister ever before the Falklands War. And she was fortunate to be up against a hapless Labour party too busy fighting itself instead of her Government.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
She was definately the marmite Prime Minister. I can understand why some on here loathed her politics and ideals as depending on where you were living and your trade she was either very good or very bad. However the detractors need to realise the state of the country when she took office and that only strong leadership was going to stop the decline of the 70s. A strong leader has their ideals and will push these through to the detriment of some, but the country needed her at that time. She was reelected 3 times as the LAbour Party of the time were unelectable and it took them to change their policies to conservative ideals to get elected. She took on the trade unions and smashed them apart and released their grip on Britain which was making us a second class country, she also turned Britain around into an economy of growth instead of decline but this meant cuting unprofitable public organisations such as the mining industry. I would ask the question that if the coal mines were still productive as has been argued in this thread why did no private companies come in and take over the collierys? This time was a diaster for those mining towns but unfortunately made economic sense to close them.
I understand people posting their distaste of her politics on here but to post things about holding parties because an 87 year old woman has died is a bit pathetic IMHO.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I would ask the question that if the coal mines were still productive as has been argued in this thread why did no private companies come in and take over the collierys?
The Tories didn't do partial privatisation in the 1980's and 1990's. Privatisation of British Coal didn't happen until 1994 , nationalised industries were "tarted up" before a sell off. The next state industry to be sold off is Royal Mail which is a partial privatisation.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
What, by selling off all our industries, council houses and taking milk from school kids? Yeh great fecking job she did there. She is the reason this country is in the state it is now. By the way it's 'Britain' not Briton

Arundel,maybe you are to young to recall The Berlin Wall going up (?) i was but over time i saw the news of East Berliner's fleeing and often being shot (and could be as high as 600 source BBC History) and putting aside domestic politic's can you not agree that for 'freedom' her,Reagan and Gorbachev were not a bad thing ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtYdjbpBk6A

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
She was definately the marmite Prime Minister. I can understand why some on here loathed her politics and ideals as depending on where you were living and your trade she was either very good or very bad. However the detractors need to realise the state of the country when she took office and that only strong leadership was going to stop the decline of the 70s. A strong leader has their ideals and will push these through to the detriment of some, but the country needed her at that time. She was reelected 3 times as the LAbour Party of the time were unelectable and it took them to change their policies to conservative ideals to get elected. She took on the trade unions and smashed them apart and released their grip on Britain which was making us a second class country, she also turned Britain around into an economy of growth instead of decline but this meant cuting unprofitable public organisations such as the mining industry. I would ask the question that if the coal mines were still productive as has been argued in this thread why did no private companies come in and take over the collierys? This time was a diaster for those mining towns but unfortunately made economic sense to close them.
I understand people posting their distaste of her politics on here but to post things about holding parties because an 87 year old woman has died is a bit pathetic IMHO.

So many here can recall scene's like this.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vCQ0ebTaLk

This is the woman who said that Mandela is a terrorist
Well he was, wasn't he?

But its the point of it, theres a difference between Hitler (who ordered the killing of over 4 Million people) and Thatcher who was PM during the cover-up.
WTF are you talking about? What cover-up, why only 4m?

History, which is something she feared (she banned it in school for short time)
Complete bollocks, you don't know what you are talking about.

Thatcher destroyed various industries
They were destroyed by their over-powerful unions who demanded (and got) skilled wages for semi-skilled and even unskilled work. These selfish individuals priced themselves out of their jobs.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Says the man who agreed with the comment " good riddance " about the death of a sick old woman.

I was talking about Pork Pie

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
State funeral? Just the same as any other old women who's died! No different what so ever.

All over facebook soon as it happened with some rather shocking 'jokes' and just seen the twitter thread about Cher

Re: Baroness Thatcher - RIP

Loved her! That ****, scargill called a strike in the summer holidays(dumb arse), didn't ballot his members(dictator). His only concern was a chance to bring himself in to politics, he did not give a damn about his members rights. To get rid of that commie no hoper was her greatest achievement. The unions were a disgrace in those days, even in my days on building sites, the threats we had to put up with from union commies was far worse than anything from Mrs T!. She allowed us all to work hard and prosper from it. Jealousy of anyone who works hard and earns well is rife in this country..This country could do with her now!

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Amazing isn't it? The very same posters on here who (rightfully most of the time) are forever haranguing others for OTT comments about controversial subjects are th every ones mocking and celebrating today. Just goes to show that values only apply when convenient.

A family has lost a mother and grandmother. As Brian Moore has just said on Twitter; "Those asking why I don't decry Thatcher and her divisive politics & social agenda - because she died today and I'm not a ****.

Couldn't have put it better myself!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here