Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baroness Thatcher - Dead / RIP

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Had no time for the woman or her policies but wouldn't celebrate anyone's death.

Don't quite get the argument about younger people not having lived through her time in power so somehow bandwagon jumping in criticising her though. A quick read into her comments and actions surrounding Hillsborough etc would have been enough to convince me she wasn't exactly a saint - regardless of how old I was.

Young people can still be outraged by historical actions or have an opinion on political direction and policies.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
You do not need a day off to do this.

They do if they want to line the streets and pay their respects.

To be fair though, most of Thatcher's followers are probably too busy grafting trying to better themselves. A "day off" would be more appropriate if an ex Labour PM passed away.

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
I have always voted for the person not the party which did lead to me not voting at all on some occasions it depends on what they will do for the local community

No matter if they're small, tall, long hair, short hair, you surely read the manifesto that each party brings out before an election? These are the policies that a majority government will put into legislation once in power. So which individual leader did you have some connection with? It really isn't a beauty pageant.

at this moment in time they are just watered down tories

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Don't quite get the argument about younger people not having lived through her time in power so somehow bandwagon jumping in criticising her though.

Agree. Age should not be a hurdle to hating her.

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
I have always voted for the person not the party which did lead to me not voting at all on some occasions it depends on what they will do for the local community

at this moment in time they are just watered down tories

No matter if they're small, tall, long hair, short hair, you surely read the manifesto that each party brings out before an election? These are the policies that a majority government will put into legislation once in power. So which individual leader did you have some connection with? It really isn't a beauty pageant.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They do if they want to line the streets and pay their respects.

Behave. I plan to spend some time marking her passing but I will do it in my own time just like everyone else should.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Didn't she have something to do with inventing Mr Whippy ice-cream? Anyway, I shed no tears for the heartless woman. Disgrace to the country. Not much point in celebrating though. 30 years ago maybe, but the damage is done now. Silly old coot.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Anybody dying is sad.

Meanwhile in Anfield though,

Not one of our best moments.
It has to be said though that the suffering and that was the correct word, caused by her party in the north of Britain will take many, many years to forget if it ever is. I am one who lost his house, job and savings at 14% interest rates in the South, but the pure decimation of whole communities in the north was tragic.
Yet, having served in the Falklands there was/is no other leader I would have wanted at that time leading our country.

RIP.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Didn't she have something to do with inventing Mr Whippy ice-cream? Anyway, I shed no tears for the heartless woman. Disgrace to the country. Not much point in celebrating though. 30 years ago maybe, but the damage is done now. Silly old coot.

No that was Spitting Image and their puppet of Douglas Hurd :thumbsup:

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
It's interesting that people talk about her policies not being popular but yet she won three general elections.

History would suggest her policies were popular.

1979 - 43.9% of the vote
1983 - 42.4% of the vote
1987 - 42.2% of the vote

As an aside
Blair in 1997 got 43.2%
Cameron in 2010 got 36.1%

She was electorially very very popular.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
She pretty much viewed football supporters as scum and would have had every single fan carrying an ID card if she had got her way.

*Gets out wallet, looks at ST Card with my name and other identifying numbers on it*

(Damn, beaten to it)

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Simply bollox mate. I don't know one single person who would want to work down a pit and die young. I know one old boy who worked down the pits in Mansfield and ended up as quiet a senior engineering manager with the Coal Board. He keeps saying how lucky his two sons are to have degrees and well paid jobs, and not to have simply been sent down the pit like generations before. I know a guy who worked for me. His father was down the mines, and he ran away to the army to avoid them, because that was his only choise in those days. Obviously, he got a trade in the Army, and is glad he did not die young like his dad. The pits were no place to send our young people down. Open cast mines are another thing, but nobody wants them anywhere near them.

Yeah, you're right, I made up the Ridley plan and the studies in the 80s about viability. Also the families from communities that over twenty years on still haven't recovered from the devastation, they must be a figment of my imagination. I'll bow down to your superior "chats" with a bloke from the pub, and how people are more likely to die young when mining compared to the armed forces.

You keep waving your flag for thatcher, I'll pass on it myself.

Oh and no I don't vote labour.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
*Gets out wallet, looks at ST Card with my name and other identifying numbers on it*

(Damn, beaten to it)

Not for away matches though. And not every fan going to any football ground.

Your Amex card is for topping up your season ticket / match day spends on. Not exactly what Thatcher et al were proposing.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Those people on here saying how dare anyone deride her, she stuck to her principles, steadfast, not for turning, a woman who did what she said. Well, I am standing by my priciples too, something you seem to hold above anything else, I would not have shed a tear for her death in the 80's and I won't now. Ghastly woman.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here