Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baroness Thatcher - Dead / RIP

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Playing devil's advocate for a second here, I find myself wondering whether history would have judged her the same if she'd been male.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
It does make me wonder this thread, it makes me wonder who among us are old enough to have lived through Maggies time and who have just jumped on bandwagons.

I'm old enough, I grew up in Derbyshire (big mining area if you are young) and I know how she is regarded back home..... I really hope that those who champion her recognise that not all of us judge the state of the nation by the material wealth of the South-East....

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I never celebrate a death, and my condolences go to the family of Margaret Thatcher, but I will remain dry eyed and tight lipped until enough time has passed to begin discussing her political life.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
It's interesting that people talk about her policies not being popular but yet she won three general elections.

History would suggest her policies were popular.

Exactly, but not to some of the the bitter little left wingers on here obviously. Maybe it has to do with the fact they have had a sheltered upbinging from beardy left-wing tree hugging teachers in quiet little Sussex?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Playing devil's advocate for a second here, I find myself wondering whether history would have judged her the same if she'd been male.

Worse, I would argue. A lot of people's defence for her is simply that "she was the first woman PM".

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
Yes, no doubt some miners at the time. But they were not viable, and have far better standards of living now after the money she pumped into their areas to regenerate them. Just because some people lots their jobs, it was still the right thing to do at the time. Have you ever spoken to people who's dads were miners, and asked them if they feel lucky not to have followed them down pits, and to be in decent modern jobs now? I have, and they do!

That is exactly as your username suggests.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Given the reaction to her male counterpart Blair, I'd say no. Her gender actually had very little to do with her politics, it is for actions and style of leadership she will be remembered.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Seconded.

Thirded. Just wish we could have an honest debate over how divisive she was over the next few days and thn move on but sadly it will be just sycophantic rubbish. I hope that once the furore dies down, those of us that loathed her for what she did, can concentrate our focus and ire on those currently echoing it. Particularly The Sun newspaper and those elements of the current Government that demonise the poor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here