Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baroness Thatcher - Dead / RIP

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
In a way, but say a family member of those celebrating her death did the same thing - would they like people celebrating their death ?

Its just disgusting in my opinion - theres a family who has lost someone at the end of the day.

And there are countless other families who blame her for what they lost as a direct result of her policies.

I find it disgusting that people are celebrating what she "achieved" and view her as some sort of icon, but that's just my opinion.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Yes, no doubt some miners at the time. But they were not viable, and have far better standards of living now after the money she pumped into their areas to regenerate them. Just because some people lots their jobs, it was still the right thing to do at the time. Have you ever spoken to people who's dads were miners, and asked them if they feel lucky not to have followed them down pits, and to be in decent modern jobs now? I have, and they do!

Absolute nonsense. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Dandyman

In London village.
Usual levels of hypocritical nonsense from the Uber-right on here. I'm sure we all remember how "resepectful" they were in regard to Michael Foot or the recent Mandela thread.

As far as I am concerned she was an evil curse on our country who tried to destroy the achievements that working people won post-1945 and promoted the culture of greed and exploitation and if the FA or anyone else tries to impose any minute's silences they can stick it.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Yes, no doubt some miners at the time. But they were not viable, and have far better standards of living now after the money she pumped into their areas to regenerate them. Just because some people lots their jobs, it was still the right thing to do at the time. Have you ever spoken to people who's dads were miners, and asked them if they feel lucky not to have followed them down pits, and to be in decent modern jobs now? I have, and they do!

you obviously have never spoken to any Welsh miners
decent modern jobs ..............what jobs
cloud cuckoo land mate

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Just seems weird to me that people would seemingly be planning parties or whatever to "celebrate" her death.

She's hasn't been involved in politics for twenty years or so, so I fail to see what difference it could possibly make to anybody's life now that she's dead.

Life is no different today, apart from for Thatcher's family presumably, than it was yesterday. Nothing has changed. Hanging up the bunting seems a little crass and lacking in class to me (as well as clear bandwagon jumping in some cases). It's not like she was alone in her job or beliefs. Presumably those cracking open the champagne will be doing the same when (for example) Nigel Lawson croaks...

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I find it disgusting that people are celebrating what she "achieved" and view her as some sort of icon, but that's just my opinion.

Im only celebrating that she entered a mans world of politics and became the first female PM, takes some balls (not literally) to do that. Policies werent well taken by people, but people need to let sleeping dogs lie over that, it was 30 years ago.

ALBION28

Jul 26, 2011
DONCASTER
History, which is something she feared (she banned it in school for short time) will reflect that she was a disaster as a Prime minister. At this moment she will be hailed as a latter day Boudicca but truth will out in the fullness of time. On a personal level I am able to close an emotional door as my mother perished (Not getting essential surgery for 2 1/2 years) as a result of NHS cuts by the Thatcher government. As a seagull fan she would have loved to have seen the AMEX but she is there in spirit and has a memorial in place.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It's interesting that people talk about her policies not being popular but yet she won three general elections.

History would suggest her policies were popular.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Absolute nonsense. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Yes, absolutely. The mines were no longer viable, and costing too much to keep open. Simple as that. I have spoken with many people from mining families as I live in the midlands and meet them for work, football and rugby. Do you have any evidence for your bitterness?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here