Barnes

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
So other than contributing a grand sum of f*** all to our general play and missing a couple of sitters is anyone else mystified why hoskins didnt get a kick. Time to drop teachers pet poyet.

Last edited:

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
So other than contributing a grand sum of f*** all to our general play and missing a couple of sitters is anyone else mystified why hoskins didnt get a kick. Time to drop teachers pet poyet.

I think this has been covered extensively on other threads but I agree completely.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I would volunteer a grand f*** OFF. Barnes is being asked to play wide to give balance whilst Vicente/Noone (whoever Poyet picks as a wide option) is given free realm. It staggers me how many people think Barnes offers nothing, when in fact his link-up play as a replacement for Murray, his running the channels, and his tracking back, are integral to how we play. I get the feeling he could score 30 this season and people would still somehow find a way to slag him off. He had ONE chance today (when he was offside anyway) which admittedly he fluffed over. I just find it funny how CMS missed from practically under the bar against Leicester and everyone wrote it off as a fluke miss. If that'd been Barnes he would've been crucified. If you can't see the work he's doing I don't know how to reason with you. Top scorer. One of our top assisters (if there is such a word). What more do people want from him?

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
I would volunteer a grand f*** OFF. Barnes is being asked to play wide to give balance whilst Vicente/Noone (whoever Poyet picks as a wide option) is given free realm. It staggers me how many people think Barnes offers nothing, when in fact his link-up play as a replacement for Murray, his running the channels, and his tracking back, are integral to how we play. I get the feeling he could score 30 this season and people would still somehow find a way to slag him off. He had ONE chance today (when he was offside anyway) which admittedly he fluffed over. I just find it funny how CMS missed from practically under the bar against Leicester and everyone wrote it off as a fluke miss. If that'd been Barnes he would've been crucified. If you can't see the work he's doing I don't know how to reason with you. Top scorer. One of our top assisters (if there is such a word). What more do people want from him?

I agree that Barnes is over-criticised and I'm generally a big supporter of his, but there is no getting away from the fact that he was disappointing last night. Poor first touch, he looked lost when in possession at times. Very surprised Hoskins wasn't given a run for 15 - 20 mins.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Give the guy a break ffs. Stepping up to a higher level, it will take him time to find his feet, as it is some others. The way people are posting it would seem that he is solely responsible for the defeats and the leaky defence. The team as a whole is taking time to acclimatise to this level. After a great start, against opposition that is largely in the bottom half of the table now, we have come up against teams with premiership quality. A reality check. The key is how the players respond, week to week. For everyone who posts a criticism of any player, I have one question. If you have ever been promoted at work, how effective were you in the first month, year, decade of discharging your new responsibilities. Ponder and the shut the f*** up.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Agree with this. Defensively he has saved us this season and early season contibuted with some goals. However at the moment, although his first touch is woeful, I am not sure playing Hoskins who is a good deal lighter in terms of weight is going to help us in what is a very physical league.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
It does not seem to have taken Cms, Bridcutt, Dunk, Noone time to adjust....This is a lame excuse for a player who quite simply is not upto this level. I think Barnes would be best served coming off the bench and not starting. He tends to go very stale after he has had a run of a few games. Get the feeling he is one of those players who needs to be dropped now and then and maybe a kick up the arse to get the best out of him....We are where we are dont seem to recall Norwich, Millwall and Leeds needing time to adjust last season. We just need more championship experence in the squad, simples!!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It does not seem to have taken Cms, Bridcutt, Dunk, Noone time to adjust....This is a lame excuse for a player who quite simply is not upto this level. I think Barnes would be best served coming off the bench and not starting. He tends to go very stale after he has had a run of a few games. Get the feeling he is one of those players who needs to be dropped now and then and maybe a kick up the arse to get the best out of him....We are where we are dont seem to recall Norwich, Millwall and Leeds needing time to adjust last season. We just need more championship experence in the squad, simples!!

Just out of interest, who is our leading scorer this season?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Very much this.

I disagree that he needs time to find his feet, I think he is already quite comfortable at this level. I think he needs gus to pick a system that allows him to stay up front if we want goals from him (which seems to be the only thing people notice about his contribution - he scores and he's the best thing since sliced bread, it's why he's in the team, in your face mr burns you know nothing!!; he misses he's out of his depth, contributes nothing, is an invisible man who goes missing, mr burns was right, kick him out the team!!).

Having said that, I do want to see Hoskins get on and show us what he has to offer. He's made three sub appearances for a total of 40 minutes game time.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Couple of good defensive clearances from Barnes though, one pretty critical. However, yesterday he was awful in front of goal and Hoskins should have been given 20 minutes at least.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Just out of interest, who is our leading scorer this season?

From open play, Cms,,,how many pens has Barnes scored??..is it 5 out of his 7??..of which Cms has won at least three of. Yes I know they need to be put away but please, this top scorer stat that people keep churning out does not really tell the true story does it?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
From open play, Cms,,,how many pens has Barnes scored??..is it 5 out of his 7??..of which Cms has won at least three of. Yes I know they need to be put away but please, this top scorer stat that people keep churning out does not really tell the true story does it?

4 out of the seven were penalties. Barnes also played key roles in five other goals (his shot v portsmouth was spilled by the keeper for cms to follow up, he closed the peterborough keeper down forcing the mis-kick to noone to score, he won the free kick v peterborough that harley scored from, he set up both cms goals v leeds) so of our 19 goals, Barnes has contributed to 12 of them.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Poor Barnes, he is played week in week out out of position. We are playing a lone striker and asking Barnes to play wide and track back or last night when Noone come on behind CMS.

Maybe if we played two up front we would not be having this discussion.

Why not slag off Gus for his negative system yesterday and not Barnes who week in week out works his socks off and plays the role asked by the manager!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
We can all argue the toss all day long. Its all about opinions and at the end of the day it is Poyet's that counts. Imo Barnes is a good league one striker as is Painter at full back and Dicker in midfield. They can all possibly hold their own in a lower league championship side but I am pretty sure Poyet did not sign a new five year contract with that ambition in mind. Certain players days are numbered, of that you can be sure.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My major concern is that he needs too many opportunities to get his goals. It can be said that he has to be in the position to get theses chances but for me he doesnt convert enough and I feel that in the same position Hoskins will convert a larger percentage. I would agree with the thought that yesterday Hoskins should have been brought on as when drawing 0 - 0 at home you need a goal and what is the point of having a striker on the bench who you have paid big money for if you dont bring him on when needed. If he is not yet fit he shouldnt have been on the bench.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton

:thumbsup: correct

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
My major concern is that he needs too many opportunities to get his goals. It can be said that he has to be in the position to get theses chances but for me he doesnt convert enough and I feel that in the same position Hoskins will convert a larger percentage.

Based on what? I've not seen enough of Hoskins to judge him, but to look at last season's stats:

Hoskins 45(2) starts (sub), 101 shots, 48 on goal, 20 goals
Barnes 38(11) starts (sub), 71 shots, 34 on goal, 20 goals

Suggests he isn't really more clinical than Barnes. I know, stats don't tell the whole story, but they are an indication.

Both had 45 v burgess hill, both scored 1
Hoskins got one v tottenham XI
Barnes got one v Tottenham
Both had games without scoring (hoskins missing a few early games and barnes didn't score when playing, Barnes missing the tour of portugal hoskins had some goalless games)

So pre-season doesn't appear to give any clear evidence that he is more clinical.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports