Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnes, England, Gus and Adversity.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
The fact that people are debating if it was worthy of a red or not, means that it wasn't an obvious decision or an overt mistake. It's the only thing of the game I've seen, and have no problem with it - if I saw that in a game involving other teams, I would expect a red every time.

The fact that it's being debated is mostly because a lot of people who weren't at the game are wading in with their opinions about what it appeared like on video footage.

Those opinions are mostly worth jack shit.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Well I spoke to Ashley Barnes after the game and he was quite mystified as to why he got a red, and said he will appeal if the club allow him.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
But as the rules are, retaliation, stranglation and a good hard shove are also red card offences are they not?
Absolutely. Which is why I said the Burnley player should have walked and be up on a charge. The fact the ref didnt even speak to him, is frankly unbelivable.

I have no doubt the ref will be taken to task over the game by his superiors (if there is such a thing in the referees world), but the problem is it is behind closed doors, and no one else will get to here about it, and it will appear the ref has got of scott free... which he probably will.... and then people will wonder why in teh next game Poyet will be on the 4th official case at every decision that the referee doesn't see........ and why shouldn't he be? Its clear now the 4th official can speak to the ref, so I bet against Southampton Poyet will get the 4th offficial to call the ref over, every time something happens that the 4th official sees, but the ref doesn't give. It's going to be an interesting next few games.

That's how the FA have made it.

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
Agreed, but Mcann should have walked with him.

agreed with this...

barnes is my favourite player but it was stupid, whether or not it was on purpose it was what is was and we can't really argue the footage...

manilaseagull

Used to be Swindonseagull
The fact that it's being debated is mostly because a lot of people who weren't at the game are wading in with their opinions about what it appeared like on video footage.

Those opinions are mostly worth jack shit.

you are worth jack shit......if an FA panel was to review the red card they will use video evidence, they will not ask some asshole in the crowd 100 yards away probably looking the wrong way with someone else jumping up in front of them...

You are a complete tool

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Absolutely. Which is why I said the Burnley player should have walked and be up on a charge. The fact the ref didnt even speak to him, is frankly unbelivable.

I have no doubt the ref will be taken to task over the game by his superiors (if there is such a thing in the referees world), but the problem is it is behind closed doors, and no one else will get to here about it, and it will appear the ref has got of scott free... which he probably will.... and then people will wonder why in teh next game Poyet will be on the 4th official case at every decision that the referee doesn't see........ and why shouldn't he be? Its clear now the 4th official can speak to the ref, so I bet against Southampton Poyet will get the 4th offficial to call the ref over, every time something happens that the 4th official sees, but the ref doesn't give. It's going to be an interesting next few games.

That's how the FA have made it.

Astute observation and agree.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
you are worth jack shit......if an FA panel was to review the red card they will use video evidence, they will not ask some asshole in the crowd 100 yards away probably looking the wrong way with someone else jumping up in front of them...

You are a complete tool

So you were at the game then eh?

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
Yes. If I though I was going to get seriosuly injured, then my feet would he high up and out of the way pointing to the bloody sky. If I was trying to get out of the way, my feet definately would not be low enough to be making contact by landing on the player as he slid through. Both players should have walked, and teh Burnley player should be up on a charge for the challenge and afters, but as the rules are, Barnes stamped on him, and had to walk.

:lol: my point was how was he going to bend his feet so his studs would face the sky, without snapping his foot.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Disregarding the Barnes incident for a moment, can anyone explain to me how Noone is just one card away from a ban? He has had lumps kicked out of him in most games, with no retaliation or dissent, but is deemed to be a dirty player.
Craig Mackail-Smith was pushed, pulled, elbowed, climbed over and generally abused during the Forest game without so much as a peep from the referee.
Surely each game is supposed to be played on merit or is there a conspiracy amongst refs now that if you're going to officiate a Brighton game, they must be dirty because they're bottom of the Fair Play League?

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Do not know how the standard of refereeing has got so poor. Been watching Albion for over 50 years now and in the 50s/60s when you could bundle the ball and goalie into the net,when footballs were hard leather,very heavy when wet and players were a lot tougher referrees did an excellent job...there was no namby pamby rolling around in agony to get another player sent off (If a player is rolling around clutching his leg whatever, he is not hurt, a player lies still then he's hurt....Jimmy McNulty....or Lua Lua at Hartlepool leg broken by Monkhouse).
A good ref will be even handed and keep control of the game. Ref against Burnley lived up to his name.....Pawson...very poor son!

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Essentially most players today look to 'cheat' and gain an advantage. The phrase has come in of 'going down' in the penalty area which seems to have become accepted in the game. Our management team and players need to wise up. Referees are 'stronger' these days and do book and send players off for misdemeanours, or perceived misdemeanours. West Ham were down to nine players recently. If we do not it will be us who are the losers. There is no sympathy for us on Saturday, we went down to 9 and lost 2 points. We need to learn.

I hear that Reyes was unable to play on Saturday because he was caught driving whilst disqualified. If that is true he should be sent back to WBA. That would at least be showing some sort of example.

We have Southampton back at the Amex soon. Hopefully by then our Assistant Manager will have had successful lessons in anger management and will be setting some sort of example. We do not need a repeat of his conduct in the away game which badly let us down.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Essentially most players today look to 'cheat' and gain an advantage. The phrase has come in of 'going down' in the penalty area which seems to have become accepted in the game. Our management team and players need to wise up. Referees are 'stronger' these days and do book and send players off for misdemeanours, or perceived misdemeanours. West Ham were down to nine players recently. If we do not it will be us who are the losers. There is no sympathy for us on Saturday, we went down to 9 and lost 2 points. We need to learn.

I hear that Reyes was unable to play on Saturday because he was caught driving whilst disqualified. If that is true he should be sent back to WBA. That would at least be showing some sort of example.

We have Southampton back at the Amex soon. Hopefully by then our Assistant Manager will have had successful lessons in anger management and will be setting some sort of example. We do not need a repeat of his conduct in the away game which badly let us down.
It's incredible how thick and stuck up their own arses some people are.

That whole post was complete bullshit, even down to the fact we now get 3 points for a win, so we lost three points, not two as you suggested.

scooter1

How soon is now?
I've only seen it on the TV, but it looked to me like Barnes was going in and changed his mind - hence why his foot was in the air. At some point it had to come down, but it wasn't a stamp and it should'nt have been a red card. The Burnley players reaction probably influenced the ref a little, but for his reaction he should have at least got a yellow, or if the letter of the law states, possibly a red card.

Not seen the Vincelot incident, but if he did aim any sort of a punch at the opposing player then he has to go - imbecile..
Modern footballers should now accept that sledging is part of the game, they need to rise above it and prove they are the better person/player by playing the opposition off the park

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
From what I saw - both at the game and after several rewinds of the football league show - the ref was probably right to give Barnes a red. If the same tackle had been made on our of our players would have had us calling for a red. What the ref got wrong was not dealing with the retaliation from the Burnley player which should also have been a red. He also did nothing about the Burnley player who later had El Abd by the throat. If he had applied the law to Burnley the same way he did to us then it would have been 9 versus 9 before half time.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
What the ref got wrong was not dealing with the retaliation from the Burnley player which should also have been a red. He also did nothing about the Burnley player who later had El Abd by the throat. If he had applied the law to Burnley the same way he did to us then it would have been 9 versus 9 before half time.

9 vs 8 if you add the fella that tried to fist the ball into the net

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I have no doubt the ref will be taken to task over the game by his superiors (if there is such a thing in the referees world), but the problem is it is behind closed doors, and no one else will get to here about it,

Why is that a problem? Isn't it important that he is told off, not that we get to witness it? Most players only get told off by their manager behind closed doors and we don't get to hear about it, with managers usually doing their best to avoid criticising their own players in public. Why is it important that we see it? To know it happens? You've already said you have no doubt it will, so why isn't hat enough?

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
It's incredible how thick and stuck up their own arses some people are.

That whole post was complete bullshit, even down to the fact we now get 3 points for a win, so we lost three points, not two as you suggested.

What a 'charmer' you are Mr Burns. My fingers were cold this morning and I typed 2 instead of 3 (they are next to each other on the keyboard !!)

No Burns I am not thick, I just have a point of view which seemingly differs from you. I believe there is an issue of discipline at the club which needs to be sorted and that we will be better for it when it is.

For all the excellent support of the crowd and the fantastic efforts of the 9 players on Saturday we gained 0 points.

Whilst life as a Brighton fan is pretty exciting one might currently ask 'what next ?'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here