Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barker to Swindon, confirmed - undisc. fee

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Matt Ritchie excelled and learnt well at Swindon before signing fior AFCB, so perhaps Barker will do the same but he was no where near getting regular games with us.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If he was 17 you might give him a prayer but he's 22 & has never even looked close to making the breakthrough.

We have an incredibly poor record of developing strikers at this club. Few go on to better things. Most seem to end up non-league by their mid twenties. See also Scott Ramsay, Chris McPhee, Joe Gatting, Jake Robinson (who I suppose at least carved some sort of league career, albeit always heading downwards) and many others.

Darius Henderson, Craig Davies, Chris Wood?

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Amazed it's a L1 club and they've possibly paid something for him. He's destined for Skrill Prem I'd say. Granted most released players end up a couple levels below even that but yeah. Best of luck to him but I could see Kasim and the like having lower league careers (no chance here) but Barker just not a fan. Never looked one of the best for the DS

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Haven't they also got Raphael Branco, the Brazilian defender we were waiting for a work permit for?
Surprised GB has got fixed up at that level considering he did nothing for Barnet or Newport in L2

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Well thats hardly development then.

What players do you think we could now attract that we cannot already and from which club are we now able compete for these signatures, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, West Ham ???

The ones that don't make the Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham grade. Those like Bridcutt, Ince etc. I'm just saying we may not have to wait as long as 5 years to see an effect, it's still development.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Well, yes.

We can but hope. Bournemouth are a noddy little club but seem to have lucked out in recent years with young strikers, selling on Brett Pitman, Sam Vokes, Josh McQuoid and Danny Ings. Someone at that club knows how to teach kids to finish.

We, on the other hand, turn out endless solid central defenders. Handy, but less exciting.

Don't forget James Hayter - his career didn't set the world alight I admit (a couple of decent seasons aside), but he does hold the record for the fastest ever football league hat-trick (140 seconds!!)

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The ones that don't make the Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham grade. Those like Bridcutt, Ince etc. I'm just saying we may not have to wait as long as 5 years to see an effect, it's still development.

Surely thats recruitment not development, but new facilities will help in that area.

Shiny new buildings does not represent the skill of development, it is the recruitment of superskilled coaches that will add within that area, of course the large investment within the training facility should be reflected in that area too.

The premier league is awash with Africans, South Americans and others that havent enjoyed the state of the art facilities that most English pro's have and we have yet to convince ourselves we are as good as them yet.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Surely thats recruitment not development, but new facilities will help in that area.

Shiny new buildings does not represent the skill of development, it is the recruitment of superskilled coaches that will add within that area, of course the large investment within the training facility should be reflected in that area too.

The premier league is awash with Africans, South Americans and others that havent enjoyed the state of the art facilities that most English pro's have and we have yet to convince ourselves we are as good as them yet.

I agree. I'm just saying we could see benefits before we see any home-grown development. We aim to be an attraction for young players too.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
We recruit young players from a number of sources including clubs at home and abroad so to say development only refers to kids living locally and joining us at whatever age is nonsensical. If they are in the DS they are subject to development whether they join at 11 or 21 and regardless of where they originate.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
We recruit young players from a number of sources including clubs at home and abroad so to say development only refers to kids living locally and joining us at whatever age is nonsensical. If they are in the DS they are subject to development whether they join at 11 or 21 and regardless of where they originate.

I agree to a point, there is ongoing development at every stage of a players career.

But in the context of a new training facility, impressive though it is, on its own doesn't deliver players, you correctly site the sources of recruitment, that has always been the case.

But it should remain that the ideal is local youngsters coming through, the alternative sources require finance to secure the players that might reasonably be seen as superior to those already on our books, otherwise why bother.

I think too often clubs ( not necessarily BHA ) use a lazy recruitment strategy, 'lets get a young Premier League reject' and see how he fairs, when if they worked hard to improve, support and offer opportunity to those already with them then it can deliver similar results but cheaper, but it takes skill.

It might be interesting to see how our Spanish contingent found a pathway to professional football and ultimately our club, I bet they weren't all destined for Barcelona's first team at the age of 18, perhaps they were trusted above some young player from a higher status club, so yes development is the best kind of recruitment.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
Good luck George having watched him many times playing and scoring for the development squad I hope he does well works hard and has an eye for goal a fresh start with Swindon hopefully will kick start his future

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
This lot seem delighted. (I miss their inane ramblings when we used to play Swinedon!)
http://thetownend.com/index.php?topic=53411.0

What a quote from that thread:

"Selling Greer when we did was the best bit of business that i have seen for years, the useless carthorse"

Hmmm, since that useless carthorse left he has won the League 1 title, been teh captain of a side that finished 4th in The Championship and played for his country. Twats!

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
When have Brighton ever produced an outstanding home grown Striker. David Gipp, Joe Gatting, Jake Robinson etc etc Next one on the possibly good list is Shamir Goodwin.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Only managed one game at Barnet last season when he went on loan for a month. Had a shocking attitude apparently and Edgar Davids didn't stand for it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here